Options

A question for the women here

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How many of you would be happy to live the idyllic1950s housewife lifestyle: Husband going out to work, you staying home, housework, baking things, buying new appliances, having friends round to gossip etc?

Also for the men: would you like to have a partner like this?

(in both cases, assuming you could afford to live with only one person working in your household)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galvatron wrote: »
    Husband going out to work, you staying home, housework, baking things, buying new appliances, having friends round to gossip etc?

I do everything there whilst still working.

I also enjoy working so no, i would not like to be forced to do, what i already have to the oppertunity to, if i wish.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    How many of you would be happy to live the idyllic1950s housewife lifestyle: Husband going out to work, you staying home, housework, baking things, buying new appliances, having friends round to gossip etc?

(in both cases, assuming you could afford to live with only one person working in your household)

In theory maybe but in practice I get a great self satisfaction from working and if my husband were to leave me in the morning what would my life be worth?
    A clean carpet?
  • Options
    Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    No, I wouldn't like a partner like that. I would like a women who would be my equal. Someone I could never be able to control in anyway. A strong women.

Housewives are something I would be able to use to my advantage. Ironically, I don't like that.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I would actually love to stay at home and be a housewife (minus kids!!) cos I cant stand work!!

My OH and I have agreed that this will happen when he earns enough to keep me at home :D
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will always choose to go out to work.

I wouldn't look twice at a man who wanted a doormat and servant for a wife.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member
    No, I wouldn't like a partner like that. I would like a women who would be my equal. Someone I could never be able to control in anyway. A strong women.

Housewives are something I would be able to use to my advantage. Ironically, I don't like that.
    I will always choose to go out to work.

I wouldn't look twice at a man who wanted a doormat and servant for a wife.

Are you insinuating that housewives are controlled? How does one working and other not, deem to be unequal. Both are important roles; one a breadwinner and the other a nurturing role where the house and children are concerned., which is suddenly deemed as akin to a servant and a doormat. They both can overlap anyhow. And what about house husbands?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nah I'm quite proud of my wife and the success she's made of her career. She would go stir crazy stuck at home all day.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't cook, hate cleaning and love my work. There's no way I could do the little wifey thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MEEEEEEE!!!

I've just gone back to full time work after 7 years as a 'housewife' and those 7 years were the best of my life, seriously!
    I'd happily stay home, keep the house clean and cook fabulous food for my family. I don't know why so many women are so against it tbh.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Darling, as it's your birthday, a special treat from me. You can choose the new hoover!" :D

I imagine you'll get some criticism for "the idyllic 1950s housewife lifestyle".

Housework: 15 minutes
    Baking things: 30 minutes
    Gossiping with friends: 5 hours

Was that the kind of schedule you were thinking of?
  • Options
    LP ROBINSONLP ROBINSON Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I man I'd happily stay at home in the housewife role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would be the economic effects of making it illegal for both parents of a child to work until the child is 16?

Think about it....
  • Options
    LP ROBINSONLP ROBINSON Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why do you think a wife that stayed home and took care of the house and kids wouldn't be your equal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jrio wrote: »
    "Darling, as it's your birthday, a special treat from me. You can choose the new hoover!" :D

I imagine you'll get some criticism for "the idyllic 1950s housewife lifestyle".

Housework: 15 minutes
    Baking things: 30 minutes
    Gossiping with friends: 5 hours

Was that the kind of schedule you were thinking of?

I can tell you didn't scrub the kitchen floor :D

...ohh the dull and boring life of a housewife huh...little wifey doing all the chores at home, devoid of personality and being unequal because she didn't go out and earn a crust.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Riccy wrote: »
    Are you insinuating that housewives are controlled? How does one working and other not, deem to be unequal. Both are important roles; one a breadwinner and the other a nurturing role where the house and children are concerned., which is suddenly deemed as akin to a servant and a doormat. They both can overlap anyhow. And what about house husbands?

Not that housewives are controlled but that the setup of that life somewhat is.

Of course children do change things. That type of life is probably a safe way of living so I can't really argue against it in those circumstances.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea to an extent, when I have time off I sometimes do this as I like the OH to feel a bit 'treated' after a hard day at work (boredom also leads me to clean and bake :D)

BUT I value my financial independance far too much!! And after a few days at home on my own I am bored, bored, bored!!
  • Options
    fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love being a housewife, I get a great deal of satisfaction from it.
  • Options
    AltheyaAltheya Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, I do all those things anyway on top of working full time. I don't enjoy working but I couldn't bear to be dependant on someone else to earn all the money, it doesn't seem fair to me. Plus, whilst in theory it sounds great I would be booooooored very quickly I think.

I think it's different when you have kids, looking after them and bringing them up is a very important job but without kids I don't really get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Altheya wrote: »
    As others have said, I do all those things anyway on top of working full time. I don't enjoy working but I couldn't bear to be dependant on someone else to earn all the money, it doesn't seem fair to me. Plus, whilst in theory it sounds great I would be booooooored very quickly I think.

I think it's different when you have kids, looking after them and bringing them up is a very important job but without kids I don't really get it.

Well you do make a distinction in that having kids changes things somewhat, and I'd agree that if you're able bodied and want to work fair enough. I wouldn't call it dependent though if there were kids involved, but I understand what you're saying.

Not that housewives are controlled but that the setup of that life somewhat is.

Of course children do change things. That type of life is probably a safe way of living so I can't really argue against it in those circumstances.

Would you not think having to work is controlled somewhat? I daresay the majority of people work because they have to to pay the bills, mortgage and to fund the kind of lifestyle they want to lead.
  • Options
    AltheyaAltheya Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riccy wrote: »
    Well you do make a distinction in that having kids changes things somewhat, and I'd agree that if you're able bodied and want to work fair enough. I wouldn't call it dependent though if their were kids involved, but I understand what you're saying.

Yes, absolutely, having children who are not at school and therefore need someone there 24 hours a day is a valid reason for someone to stay home and take care of them.

However, imo I couldn't bear to see my o/h go out to work just so I could stay home and clean, it just doesn't sit right with me.
  • Options
    xAries_1990xxAries_1990x Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never be a housewife, I would hate depending on someone else for my money and just living to look after other people and clean, I would get bored and lonely. I can't think of anything worse tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    No. I have no intention of having children, and the idea of running round after a man as if he's a child in this day and age is creepy.
    Plus, I'm crap at housework and hate it. I can cook, but am perfectly happy to combine this with work outside the home.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have no problem staying at home and looking after the house and cooking if I had a husband who earned enough to keep us both.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting... very mixed opinions on this.

Personally I think it would be very boring unless you had either children, lots of friends visiting or a hobby you were really into.

On the other hand I think it is pretty harsh that some people are saying that housewives are automatically submissive slaves. I know plenty of women who are housewives but who actually wear the trousers in their relationships.