Options

James Corden and Sir Patrick Stewart in on-stage spat

Comments

• Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    Exactly - saying "James - that is your name isn't it?" was more than a trifle rude.

Patrick Stewart is known as a nice guy that doesn't take himself too seriously, so I assume that he misjudged the situation and his attempt at humour, because it fell seriously flat. It appeared pretty mean-spirited, but I assume that he didn't intend it that way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very 'school yard' :rolleyes:

OK, Patrick Stewart's response to Corden wouldn't have 'em rolling in the aisles, but he was entitled to make his acceptance speech without being interrupted in the first place by an attention-seeking idiot...

Edit...sorry - didn't realise there were two threads on the go :confused:
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    Here's what I saw:

Corden is pretending to be bored and uninterested in the background while Stewart is supposed to have the audience's attention.

Stewart isn't sure why the audience are laughing. Turns, sees Corden is doing stuff behind his back.

Stewart makes ill-judged, personal joke that falls completely flat. Maybe in retaliation or maybe he was light-heartedly (and clumsily) giving Corden a taste of his own medicine. Who knows. Some laugh. The mood is half light, half confused at this point.

Corden then aggressively squares up to Stewart with his own 'joke', which is intended to isolate Stewart in the position of ridiculed outsider to Corden and the audience. The mood is now dark.

Silence. Stewart, still composed but possibly embarrassed by now and stuck for what to do next, tries to get the upper hand with another riposte. Can't think of any. Makes bizarre and unfunny Jonas brothers quip. Mood now dead.

Some arse heckles "get on with it". Clip over.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other based on the evidence. Corden started it. Stewart carried it on. Corden made it even worse. Stewart tried to lighten it again. Corden wouldn't let it lie long after Stewart left the stage.

So in summary, and given that for me Corden generally oozes arrogance while Stewart seems thoroughly likeable, I'm going to find in favour of Stewart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    The fact remains that Corden needs to go away ... far, far away...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what I saw:

Corden is pretending to be bored and uninterested in the background while Stewart is supposed to have the audience's attention.

Stewart isn't sure why the audience are laughing. Turns, sees Corden is doing stuff behind his back.

Stewart makes ill-judged, personal joke that falls completely flat. Maybe in retaliation or maybe he was light-heartedly (and clumsily) giving Corden a taste of his own medicine. Who knows. Some laugh. The mood is half light, half confused at this point.

Corden then aggressively squares up to Stewart with his own 'joke', which is intended to isolate Stewart in the position of ridiculed outsider to Corden and the audience. The mood is now dark.

Silence. Stewart, still composed but possibly embarrassed by now and stuck for what to do next, tries to get the upper hand with another riposte. Can't think of any. Makes bizarre and unfunny Jonas brothers quip. Mood now dead.

So six of one and half a dozen of the other based on the evidence. But since for me Corden generally oozes arrogance while Stewart seems thoroughly likeable, I'm going to find in favour of Stewart.

excellent analysis and I agree with.
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart is known as a nice guy that doesn't take himself too seriously, so I assume that he misjudged the situation and his attempt at humour, because it fell seriously flat. It appeared pretty mean-spirited, but I assume that he didn't intend it that way.

Indeed - I like PS but also when JC said about feeling sorry that he hadn't meant to seem disinterested (and he remembered to call him Sir) was in earnest too.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for JC but in this instance I will (hopefully never to be repeated)....everyone's on his back yet PS created the situation and the fall out didn't do anyone any favours but JC, IMO, came out better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I am by no means a fan of James, but I think that was really really harsh, and unnecessary. Quite a nasty thing to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact remains that Corden needs to go away ... far, far away...

A galaxy far, far away?

Oops, wrong franchise :o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought Patrick Stewart was out of order and quite relentless. The audience were fed up with him, hence the cries of 'Get on with it' and the dig at James' weight was crude and uncalled for. James was always going to hit back, especially as he was the host.
  • Options
    phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluez Boy wrote: »
    Not sure why Corden's being criticised. Stewart just wanted him moment in the limelight when all he was there to do was present an award.

Yes because Patrick Stewart is such a nobody :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Patrick Stewart was doing humour initially, but he does not have the touch. Cordens reaction was OTT really when you consider he had been insulting allcomers.

When you have that insult schtick you need a thick skin otherwise it just comes over as nasty. Jonathan Ross dishes it out but takes it back in good grace, even when the insult coming his way is heavy handed

So Corden took the room with him but the wider audience are another matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's what I saw:

Six of one and half a dozen of the other based on the evidence. Corden started it. Stewart carried it on. Corden made it even worse. Stewart tried to lighten it again. Corden wouldn't let it lie long after Stewart left the stage.

So in summary, and given that for me Corden generally oozes arrogance while Stewart seems thoroughly likeable, I'm going to find in favour of Stewart.

Or JC is taking a breather and letting the "stars" do their bit and then is called out by one of the stars and he respectfully (at that point) apologises - then PS decides to continue the point that makes JC annoyed and "hilarity ensues"....

I don't just cow to someone because they're more talented/respected - I just judge what I witnessed and I can't see how JC is a total nasty nightmare and PS a God.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or JC is taking a breather and letting the "stars" do their bit and then is called out by one of the stars and he respectfully (at that point) apologises - then PS decides to continue the point that makes JC annoyed and "hilarity ensues"....

I don't just cow to someone because they're more talented/respected - I just judge what I witnessed and I can't see how JC is a total nasty nightmare and PS a God.

agreed - also making personal comments about JC's appearance is unacceptable and he was nasty

If it was a woman being mocked for being tubby, there'd be uproar
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I very much doubt you were there so I assume you saw a clip.

What is referred to elsewhere is James Cordon's frequent insults throughout the awards.

I think at first Patrick Stewart was just joking too (not very well) and that's how a nice person would have decided to interpret it so as to avoid a scene.

But James Corden is not a nice person, it's a common trait of those smiley-smiley types who are total bastards underneath.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Not only that, but plenty of people telling Corden he's great and funny and that they love his belly, prompting him to think that the general public must love him. I for one would like 5 minutes alone with him in an empty room with a baseball bat. But that's just me. Or is it?

me too!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    agreed - also making personal comments about JC's appearance is unacceptable and he was nasty

If it was a woman being mocked for being tubby, there'd be uproar

I find it bizarre that so many people don't take the clip at face value and the love/hate for the people involved is the reason to think one is better than the other....change the faces of both of them - say JC is PS and then PS is JC - they'd still be having the same furious debate but the tables have turned.

Hmmm makes you think that blind devotion/hate runs aplenty. Coz PS would still be the hero, JC the zero regardless of the situation...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I very much doubt you were there so I assume you saw a clip.

What is referred to elsewhere is James Cordon's frequent insults throughout the awards.

I think at first Patrick Stewart was just joking too (not very well) and that's how a nice person would have decided to interpret it so as to avoid a scene.

But James Corden is not a nice person, it's a common trait of those smiley-smiley types who are total bastards underneath.

Right so you KNOW that JC is not a nice person? I've never heard bad stuff about him in the way you're inferring.

His humour, look, being might not be to many people enjoyable but he's not famed remotely for being nasty.

Graham Norton, Stephen Fry and Jonathan Ross do award shows and do the same kind of schtick all the time - it's part of being a host. JC of course isn't remotely in their league and is still learning....it's not exactly the most auspicious of awards either.

You are right - i didn't see the show and I'm not a JC fan but this holier than thou attitude some have (not saying you) sticks in my craw even more....

I know PS isn't a bad person but he failed on this account - I also saw that JC was losing his temper... I don't think anyone came out of this glittering in gold but I don't think JC deserves the utter reprehensibilty he's getting for it either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally can't stand James Corden, but in this case I'm gonna have to side with him - "humor" at other people's appearence is desperate and pathetic. Yes, Corden bigs up his weight as a joke, but only because if he didn't it would be the butt of other people's jokes. Like here.
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    James Corden is not a nice person, it's a common trait of those smiley-smiley types who are total bastards underneath.

LOL. Know him personally do you then? Nothing like a sweeping generalisation is there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very 'school yard' :rolleyes:

OK, Patrick Stewart's response to Corden wouldn't have 'em rolling in the aisles, but he was entitled to make his acceptance speech without being interrupted in the first place by an attention-seeking idiot...

Edit...sorry - didn't realise there were two threads on the go :confused:

I thought he was presenting the award - not accepting it.......
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I can't stand James Corden and (until today) I thought Patrick Stewart was great.

But after watching that video, he seems to have been struck down with an attack of the 'Ben Kingsley luvvies', and completely showed himself up.

What has Corden's belly got to do with anything? He's fat, so what?

James could easily have said 'From the stage I can see your great glistening hairless bonce shining in the light'!

It was unneccesary and rude. He (Stewart) looked like a prat.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Stupid Whale" is trending on twitter, is it in reference to this event???
  • Options
    Mr WendalMr Wendal Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    corden is a fat yob who needs putting down
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How very odd. So odd I can only think it was pre arranged.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the people who are saying that it was out of order to talk about Corden's belly:

Talking about his belly, pulling it out and joking about being a fatty is like Corden's only jokes so it's not that nad for someone else to say something about it.

TEAM JEAN LUC PICARD!