Options

Is Matt Smith Already Your Favourite Dr??

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I think I might cry when he regenerates :cry::o
  • Options
    capt.shoegazercapt.shoegazer Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are all those that rubbished Matt based on one line of stolen dialogue from VOTD and said he would be a disaster? Where are they now? I want them here so we can point and laugh merrily in their cretinous little faces. :D

Never have so few been so wrong about something so important. ;)
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:

It's weird isn't it, after having a favourite for so many years, and to have seen other Doctors come and go, to find that the new kid on the block could become your personal favourite

:eek::)

It is weird, because even though I have have had an open mind towards every doctor, after all this time you kind of figure your favourite Doctor isn't going to change because your just so emotionally attached to them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone changed their minds? I haven't. I love him more and more with each passing week. He's definitely the best Doctor since Tom Baker.

Edit: actually, if he goes on for another few years he might even overtake the superb Tom! :eek:
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I was saying elsewhere the other day that when I came to evaluate where to place MS at the end of the series, I can see him challenging Peter Davison for the top spot for me, and his been my top Doc since I was 4 year old!:eek:

Matt hasn't yet knocked DT off the top spot for me....but he seems to be vying for the second place and knocking off Troughton! Who knocked off Tom....

Ahh I love em all:D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Matt hasn't yet knocked DT off the top spot for me....but he seems to be vying for the second place and knocking off Troughton! Who knocked off Tom....

Ahh I love em all:D

YES!

I too love them all, but Troughton was number 1 for 40-ish years for me, then DT came along and I had to regretfully demote PT to second place.

Now I think I'm going to have to demote him again!:confused:
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I may join you there :o He's quite loveable. In my eyes, this Doctor is so fun after the end of 10 - I can't express that enough!

Where's he got to then!?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've a sneaky feeling that MS is sneaking above TB and PT for me.

This delights me. The number of times he does something that captures any or all of the other 10 with just a look, or a move, and yet remains distinctively 11 . . . crikey, he's good.
    He's either studied all the other Doctors in fine depth, or his instincts are scarliy tuned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solid60 wrote: »

This delights me. The number of times he does something that captures any or all of the other 10 with just a look, or a move, and yet remains distinctively 11 . . . crikey, he's good.
    He's either studied all the other Doctors in fine depth, or his instincts are scarliy tuned.

I think in part it's the writing, because SM does I think have a slightly different vision of the Doctor than RTD did. I think he see's The Doctor as being one man with ten different faces, all of whom had aspects of personality that were unique to them, i think RTD did see them as more seperate identities. So based on that I think there is an element where hints of prior docs are written in to the part.

The single thing I love the most about Matt's Doctor is the way that he conveys such a natural and raw sense of tenderness in certain scenes - for example the way he asks Vincent if it;s "too much" in the museum, or when comforting the dying monster in the same episode.
  • Options
    Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My order would be

Nine
    Eleven
    Ten

Matt has been fantastic but even though I watched series 3 of New Who first I prefer Nine and think he will always be my Doctor. "Everybody lives" and the pure joy in that moment would be hard to surpass.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in part it's the writing, because SM does I think have a slightly different vision of the Doctor than RTD did. I think he see's The Doctor as being one man with ten different faces, all of whom had aspects of personality that were unique to them, i think RTD did see them as more seperate identities. So based on that I think there is an element where hints of prior docs are written in to the part.

The single thing I love the most about Matt's Doctor is the way that he conveys such a natural and raw sense of tenderness in certain scenes - for example the way he asks Vincent if it;s "too much" in the museum, or when comforting the dying monster in the same episode.

Good thoughts. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

QUOTE]

I agree with you that SM as series runner has influenced this, but I stand aghast at Matt's ability to purvey it, stunning.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auds77 wrote: »
    My order would be

Nine
    Eleven
    Ten

Matt has been fantastic but even though I watched series 3 of New Who first I prefer Nine and think he will always be my Doctor. "Everybody lives" and the pure joy in that moment would be hard to surpass.

For the last few years, Nine has always been my fav Doctor, not in the least because he introduced me to the show! But I must say... he's starting to slip.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can now understand why Moffat was not afraid to say to the media, before a single episode had aired, that he thought Matt was the best Doctor ever. Moff never seemed foolish enough to raise expectations unrealistically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you that SM as series runner has influenced this, but I stand aghast at Matt's ability to purvey it, stunning.

oh yes, I agree, he has been stunning, his interpretation of the role is amazing: it is all at once fresh and new while having a bit more of a classic who feel to it.

I think those hours he spent researching the old series have paid dividend handsomely!
  • Options
    Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    For the last few years, Nine has always been my fav Doctor, not in the least because he introduced me to the show! But I must say... he's starting to slip.

Eclipsed by one of the other actors?
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the fave Doctor thing is always a tricky one as I always think the current Doc gets the most votes. But in the cold light of day it always seems to me that Tom was born for the role :)

However Matt and aslo Chris Eccleston are/was very very good indeed. In fact to be honest they were all good in there own way ... but its Tom for me. In his heyday I was transixed by his Dr ... ( yes I know, you younger people on the forum are probably thinking that this guy is old ha ha )
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are all those that rubbished Matt based on one line of stolen dialogue from VOTD and said he would be a disaster? Where are they now? I want them here so we can point and laugh merrily in their cretinous little faces. :D

Never have so few been so wrong about something so important. ;)
    Oooooooooooh yes! :)
    I've a sneaky feeling that MS is sneaking above TB and PT for me.

Apparently he never watched it at all, in any depth.
    I can now understand why Moffat was not afraid to say to the media, before a single episode had aired, that he thought Matt was the best Doctor ever. Moff never seemed foolish enough to raise expectations unrealistically.
    He may be right ...
    allen_who wrote: »
    the fave Doctor thing is always a tricky one as I always think the current Doc gets the most votes. But in the cold light of day it always seems to me that Tom was born for the role :)

However Matt and aslo Chris Eccleston are/was very very good indeed. In fact to be honest they were all good in there own way ... but its Tom for me. In his heyday I was transixed by his Dr ... ( yes I know, you younger people on the forum are probably thinking that this guy is old ha ha )
    Very true and almost true (IMO) and I is not thinking TB was old - at the time!
    I wil sob loudly - hopefully in 5-7 years time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Well, I think it the series is still not done yet, so I will still reserve my final statement on this but so far I think MS has done a really good job and he is deffo among my top 5 Doctors - but no, he's not my favourite Doctor.

I still rate Nine and Ten higher, hm, Two and Seven ... got to think about it - nope, still love them more still, sorry :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alphonsus wrote: »
    Apparently he never watched it at all, in any depth.

actually he did a good deal of research for this series, he said himself that he had seen some of the post 2005 series, though not that much, but that to research the role he watched a lot of classic who, and was especially fond of Troughton.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    No, Mr Smith is the worst Doctor in years. He knows little to nothing about the show, has dumbed down the presentation of the character, has a vacuous assistant with whom there is zero chemistry, and just looks wrong. Nowadays, I only watch the show if there's nothing better. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Mr Smith is the worst Doctor in years. He knows little to nothing about the show, has dumbed down the presentation of the character, has a vacuous assistant with whom there is zero chemistry, and just looks wrong. Nowadays, I only watch the show if there's nothing better. :(

dumbed down? His presentation of the character is far more complex than we have seen in years, maybe ever. And the comment about him knowing next to nothing about the show is utter cobblers, as I just explained up thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually he did a good deal of research for this series, he said himself that he had seen some of the post 2005 series, though not that much, but that to research the role he watched a lot of classic who, and was especially fond of Troughton.

I think you can tell. :)

I'm finding Matt excellent but it will be a while before I can place him on "The List".

Besides "The List" changes frequently with my mood :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't like him, not sure what it is, doesn't seem right, will give him more time though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ja88ed wrote: »
    I think you can tell. :)

I'm finding Matt excellent but it will be a while before I can place him on "The List".

Besides "The List" changes frequently with my mood :)

i know what you mean, i won't rate Matt in my list till series end, and I agree my list does change quite a bit, depending on which episodes I am digging at any one given time. Also pre this series I'd say places 3 - 5 were pretty much neck and neck and quite interchangeable.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auds77 wrote: »
    My order would be

Nine
    Eleven
    Ten

Your list appears to be missing a few.