Options

Jehovahs Witnesses, grrrrrrr

Comments

• Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was burgled once and was waiting for the scenes of crime officers to visit to do finger prints etc......I opened the door assumed the suited callers were them so invited them in. Both looked incredibly shocked and hesitant and then explained they wanted to talk to me about god! Obviously not used to such a warm welcome.

When I explained they said they wouldnt stay but before they went would I like a watchtower...I said yes to be polite until they wanted me to pay for it. I repeated what I had told them earlier that even my purse had gone so they snatched it back and left!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    It is. It is invading personal space, disturbing the peace and trespassing if you have not invited them.

I don't want religious nutters knocking on my door. They soon get the message.

Are you sure you're not thinking about Vampires?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think DS has an unhealthy obsession with jehovas witnesses! :eek:

Calm down, they knocked on your door, that is all.

It's a bit of an over reaction on your part if you said something 'un-printable'.

I quite agree. But you will always get a reaction if you talk about JW's so I guess that's why everyone is always mentioning them! :D At the end of the day they are Christians and kindly people, all you have to is politely say that you're not interested and close the door. No need to go nuts:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    Personally, I couldn't give a flying fig what they think of me, but if it means they think twice about knocking on the door of somebody who has a sign up asking cold callers not to knock on their door, then all well and good.

As for 'no good reason', it was obvious we didn't want them at our door, they ignored that and tried anyway. I'm not going to say 'Look chaps, quite alright, you've seen my sign and ignored it but, hey, these things happen, I'm sure you're jolly nice fellows anyway so please feel free to do so again'. :)

What i meant by that is your achieving nothing by acting in that way. Different Jehovas witnesses may come next time and you'll have to do it all again.

Surely it's a lot less time consuming and more sociable to just politely decline, and shut the door.

Your choices at the end of the day, i just don't see why anyone would react that adversly to a situation which just requires a polite 'No thanks'.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Just put a Blood Donor sticker on your door.

They'll not bother you again.

Or an updside-down crucifix.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Big_Bird wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not thinking about Vampires?

They are vampires the way they leach their way into the minds of the weak natured.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    What i meant by that is your achieving nothing by acting in that way. Different Jehovas witnesses may come next time and you'll have to do it all again.

Surely it's a lot less time consuming and more sociable to just politely decline, and shut the door.

Your choices at the end of the day, i just don't see why anyone would react that adversly to a situation which just requires a polite 'No thanks'.

Where is the fun in being polite?
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as debunking all their beliefs with science over a period of 30mins on my doorstep I ended with asking what their addresses were so I could periodically call unannounced on them and remind them that what they believe in is pure bunkum.

Needless to say for some reason they haven't called back :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think DS has an unhealthy obsession with jehovas witnesses! :eek:

Calm down, they knocked on your door, that is all.

It's a bit of an over reaction on your part if you said something 'un-printable'.

I was thinking the same thing. If they come to the door, my OH or I will say "thank you, but we are not religious people," and politely close the door. Usually, we have a crying baby or a cat trying to escape so they leave us alone as they see we are busy!
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    Just had them at my door, bible and literature in hand.

Trouble is, we have a sign on our door saying no cold callers or junk mail. I opened the door to be met with them and after the 'Good morning, how are you today' they said that 'We saw your sign but wondered if we could talk to you anyway?'. The answer I gave them, to be fair, probably isn't printable here.

Leave me alone Jehovahs Witnesses :mad:

Well done for demonstrating your superiority to them.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't open the door to callers.

I just open the window, tell them NO!!, then shut the window again.

They'll find it unrewarding, preaching to a door.
  • Options
    slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superior wrote: »
    They must know it pi$$es people off, as they dont do it on thier own doorstep. (Or the ones we knew did'nt)

We lived next door to a couple and they would go out at weekends in gangs, banging on peoples doors, but streets or even towns away. But to us, as neighbours, they were just very nice normal people. Never tried to push their beliefs on us at all.

And when we did have JWs come to our door, it was not the neighbours, but total strangers.

gangs? were they in hoodies? "join our cult or we'll f*****g rush ya BRAP! you get me blud?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the fun in being polite?

Where's the fun in being a nasty? :confused:
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Jehovas Bystander - I didn't see anything ! :D
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    LOL.. Go on tell us.....

I just slam the door in their face.

where ever you got your manners from please ask for a refund
    It is harassment. If they dare knock on my door, I call the Police.

and they will laugh at you for being silly.
  • Options
    ianinclevelandianincleveland Posts: 21,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they dont call here,last time they did i said"you're the people who dont believe in blood transfusions?"

"yes they said"

"if you dont **** off away from my door you'll be needing one".

Never been back in 3 years
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we lived in Hove in the early 70's they used to knock our door every Sunday, so on one particular day I was so fed up that I told them if they come back I shall tip a bucket of water from the window above the front door, well it was a side door, but you get the idea, yes they came the next week and the bucket was ready and yes I did tip it over them. Needless to say they didnt come back, but I had warned them.:D
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is harassment. If they dare knock on my door, I call the Police.

What do the police say?

I agree they're a pain and I think it's pretty rude to knock on someone's door uninvited and start preaching at them but the police? Bit of an over reaction, no?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I feel your pain OP. I mentioned this in some other thread but somebody in my somewhat dysfunctional family is a Jehovah's Witness. They tried for years to get me to follow in the stuff when I was really young, long story short, I thankfully broke free from it years ago and even though they seem nice, they're still weird and annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they dont call here,last time they did i said"you're the people who dont believe in blood transfusions?"

"yes they said"

"if you dont **** off away from my door you'll be needing one".

Never been back in 3 years

Jackanory zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have their church just round the corner from us and at one time our street was used for their `practice` purposes for the new door to door preachers. Then we found out they have a book that they can note your address into it if you don`t want them to bother you again. Its worked ! lol
  • Options
    TheBoingoBanditTheBoingoBandit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its because you didnt give them a "name check" in the sign so they thought we aint on the list so we are coming in"

Next time add 'gullible loonies' to the list.
  • Options
    PFKA EBPFKA EB Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When manic I invited a couple of Jobies witnesses in for a chat one day during Gulf 1 after the opening gambit of 'isnt this war a horrible thing, arent all wars unnecessary and a waste of life?' the witnesses in question were two black ladies who I pointed out would be enduring a very different life if a war hadnt been fought in the 40's against Nazism and that wars in certain circumstances are a necessary evil and have to be fought in order to ward off the forces of evil.
    It was an interesting 4 hour conversation that only ended when my wife came home from work and unlocked the door and released the witnesses from our house, they did leave me with 2 bibles and about 4 copies of watchtower and another magazine/publication. As I say I was ill at the time and they were very understanding when my wife explained but we must have gone on the list someone mentioned above because we never had another visit from anyone from that religion.

Although in a separate occasion when visiting my sister again when not too well a witness approached me and asked if I was interested in the word of god, I mentioned that as a spiritualist he considered me an evildoer and someone who consorts with the devil to which he replied in the positive, so I followed him down the street shouting "merry xmas you miserable *****" and everytime he knocked a door encouraging everyone to do the same. This time no one apologised for me being ill as he deserved it ..... well, thats a matter of opinion I suppose.
  • Options
    mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As has been mentioned many times on the numerous JW threads they have a 'Do Not Call' list and if the householder does not want any further visits you can ask to be put on that list and they will not call again. Simple.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The group near me are quite nice. They even run a gym. It's called Jehovah's Fitness.