Options

"Capellos Delusions " RTE after England Slovenia... worth a watch...

Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i have to say i think the Irish guys are a loy closer to truth than BBC fellas were...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/worldcup/highlights.html?2777702,2777702,flash,255

Comments

• Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When have the Irish been relevent for anything?

England played were excellent against Slovenia, still bitter? *waves hands*
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that gets me is that everyone who claims to be fed up or anti-England are all so England-centric in their views and opinions.

We'll never hear that Germany lost to Serbia in the group stage. But we'll hear endlessly that England failed to beat Algeria.

Nobody will mention that Brazil only just managed to see off North Korea, but everyone will go on and on about England only putting one past Slovenia.

The Slovenia match wasn't a great result but given the performance of the last game and where the squad were at that point given the other issues surrounding the camp, it was a confidence boost for the players to get the three points and to progress. Capello as manage recognised this and was pleased for his team and sought to gee them up and use it as a base camp for the rest of the tournament.

Of course this post will be translated as "OMG ENGLAND WILL WIN THE WORLD CUP 1966!!!! 1966!!!!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that gets me is that everyone who claims to be fed up or anti-England are all so England-centric in their views and opinions.

We'll never hear that Germany lost to Serbia in the group stage. But we'll hear endlessly that England failed to beat Algeria.

Nobody will mention that Brazil only just managed to see off North Korea, but everyone will go on and on about England only putting one past Slovenia.

The Slovenia match wasn't a great result but given the performance of the last game and where the squad were at that point given the other issues surrounding the camp, it was a confidence boost for the players to get the three points and to progress. Capello as manage recognised this and was pleased for his team and sought to gee them up and use it as a base camp for the rest of the tournament.

Of course this post will be translated as "OMG ENGLAND WILL WIN THE WORLD CUP 1966!!!! 1966!!!!"

Nobody will recall England beat Germany on their own turf in Berlin 2-1 under Capello and have won the majority of recent meetings, England are very very capable of beating them again.

But again this will be translated into a 'WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP' post.
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody will recall England beat Germany on their own turf in Berlin 2-1 under Capello and have won the majority of recent meetings, England are very very capable of beating them again.

But again this will be translated into a 'WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP' post.

I keep reading about this game in Berlin under Capello but I genuinely have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Terry late winner wasn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7737012.stm

Theres what happened, and yeah Terry got the winner.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When have the Irish been relevent for anything?

England played were excellent against Slovenia, still bitter? *waves hands*

If running the ball into the corners with 5 mins to go defines excellent then standards really have fallen. It was not an excellent performance at all!!

How is it the same. England played 3 games and were awful in 2 and slightly better in 1. Brazil played 3. Comfortable v Korea, hammered Ivory coast and strolled v portugal. Germany beat Australia, were the better team with 10 men v serbia and bear Ghana.

Exactly how is this comparable to the garbage England have prouduced?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah yes I remember clearly now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    If running the ball into the corners with 5 mins to go defines excellent then standards really have fallen. It was not an excellent performance at all!!

It was up until the last 15 minutes or so when England got a serious case of nerves, England completed dominated the game and had numerous great chances to score.

With out the wastefulness from England in front of goal the game would have been out of sight and there would have been no need for those end of game jitters.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which game was it where the German defender scored the belter? I think it was their win here which happened the year before. That's the only thing I remember of the friendlies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    It was up until the last 15 minutes or so when England got a serious case of nerves, England completed dominated the game and had numerous great chances to score.

With out the wastefulness from England in front of goal the game would have been out of sight and there would have been no need for those end of game jitters.

Against a v average Slovenia side. What I dont understand is how people suddenly think that performance was actually anything to be excited about. It was better than Algeria but it was average at best.

Every tournament we hear the same thing. 'We will get better'. Never happens!!
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, you won a friendly and neither of the sides that'll start on Sunday are remotely like what they were that night!

You are right, England are capable of beating Germany but Germany have been far more impressive than England so far.

I mean, if Rob Green hadn't pushed that Yank shot onto the post you'd have been beaten and Algeria only took points off England in the group whilst Germany were comfortable against Australia and Ghana and were unlucky against Serbia missing the penalty and Klose being harshly sent off.

I reckon it'll be a cracker of a game but the Germans will be too clinical for England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »

How is it the same. England played 3 games and were awful in 2 and slightly better in 1. Brazil played 3. Comfortable v Korea, hammered Ivory coast and strolled v portugal. Germany beat Australia, were the better team with 10 men v serbia and bear Ghana.

Exactly how is this comparable to the garbage England have prouduced?

No they were not comfortable against NKO, not in the slightest.

via the Hand, yup, and the conceded a silly goal with a crocked Drogba.

To a goal-less draw against Portugal and very cynical play, this is the weakest Brazil team I have seen in quite a number of years.

Australia were very poor, even with Tim Cahill.

Missed a penalty, horrible defending and lost the game, sure they were the better team, even Loew said it wasnt good and was no use blaming the referee.

They only just got the win, Ghana were very equal to Germany during that game, I wouldn't be as confident if we had Ghana to face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they were not comfortable, not in the slightest.

via the Hand, yup

To a goal-less draw, this is the weakest Brazil team I have seen in quite a number of years.

Australia were very poor, even with Tim Cahill.

Missed a penalty, horrible defending and lost the game.

They only just got the win, Ghana were very equal to Germany during that game, I wouldn't be as confident if we had Ghana to face.

But Ghana are a good team. Thats not an easy game. Germany played well in that game as did Ghana.

Brazil are not weak. They just aint as exciting as they used to be. They are still one of the strongest sides in the tournament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said they were the weakest in the tournament, I said this was the weakest team in a number of years, they are still a favourite, but it is the weakest team in some time.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

When I knew we were playing Germany, that game was the first one I thought of. That the last time we played them, we won 2-1. It was 'only' a friendly, but the media will tell you there is never a ;'friendly' between England and Germany.

The same media that are obsessed with bloody penalty shootouts the minute the words 'playing Germany' are uttered so of course that's all they go on about.

I think they'll be genuinely devasted if England have the audacity to win in 90 minutes. They'll be deprived of endless hours of THAT subject.

I've watched very little of any of the build up to this game cos as soon as I know they're gonna talk penalties, I switch over. And there's not a lot else to hear cos that's all they talk about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    if Rob Green hadn't pushed that Yank shot onto the post you'd have been beaten

We'd have conceded, which would have changed the rest of the game meaning there's no predicting what would have happened.
  • Options
    SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RTE pundits over here are great to watch, no holding back, and say it how it is no BS yes men. Albeit a little anti-English at times. Still good though, I watch the RTE highlights as much as the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    We'd have conceded, which would have changed the rest of the game meaning there's no predicting what would have happened.

Granted, it is a "If your aunt had balls....." point of view but it suited my argument. :D:D
  • Options
    SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England are the favourites for the game with the bookies.

Townsend says he can't see anything other than an England win.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The RTE pundits over here are great to watch, no holding back, and say it how it is no BS yes men. Albeit a little anti-English at times. Still good though, I watch the RTE highlights as much as the others.

I think they were spot on in that vid. Unlike the English pundits who went totally overboard. The same pundits who were moaning about 4-4-2 but after a average win over slovenia suddenly 4-4-2 is ok. The way the were going on you would of thought England put on a display which had the rest of the competition sit up and take notice. Laughable!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England are the favourites for the game with the bookies.

Townsend says he can't see anything other than an England win.:)

And how many times have the bookies got it wrong in this WC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Townsend's backed us? Oh balls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Townsend's backed us? Oh balls.

His another one who was demanding capello to change the system or england were doomed. Suddenly the system is ok though to face germany? The guy is a joke!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was suggesting that the players 'go knock on his door' too, which made me cringe. Andy Townsend the revolutionary launching his coup d'etat from the tactics truck?