Options

iPhone 4 reception problem?

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everyone should get a refund. Why put an antenna in the bottom left hand corner. Bring back the days of the pull up ariels. Oh and those ones were at the top. Was an apple designer drunk designing the iphone 4. Overpriced things anyway. Although would not mind one. Just take them back and put your sim chip into your old mobile until the next generation of iphones come out. But my advice is never rush, always wait until its been tried and tested and read all users comments first.

What a load of nonsense, You have to grip the phone right at the bottom for the signal to drop which is an odd way to hold it anyway.
  • Options
    John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »
    If Apple made gloves they would be the most superb rubber gloves that the globe has ever seen.

Companies just pump out rubber gloves willy nilly. . .Apple would spend a lot on R&D and the end result would be sensational.

Except they'd be a finger short... and loyal fanbois would amputate their fingers rather than admit to a problem with the product. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this has been mentioned here but my take on this supposed design flaw could be down to when Apple engineers were out in the field testing the new phone they had cases around the phone to shield it from being seen due to Apple's strict secrecy. This was apparent when the first iPhone 4 went missing and was found / stolen from an Apple engineer in a bar. It had a plastic case around the metal band around the side and the back to make it look a little like an iPhone 3GS. They didn't really test very well using the phone out in the wild holding the metal bands directly.

Again this is only my take on this and I'm sure Apple did many, many tests prior to putting the new model into full production and the faults could be down to software as some have suggested and also certain faulty units. I believe Apple will be issuing a better full statement on the issue within the next few days once they've had time to evaluate everything.

Having said that I haven't been able to replicate the problem on the 2 iPhones 4's I've currently had holding and gripping it in many ways. I've tested in several area's including in rural generally lower signal areas and in the middle of a city.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Soundburst wrote: »
    Has someone got a photo of the position you need to hold the phone? LMAO I bet you have to grip it tightly in a position no human naturally does

This

I can replicate the issue but only when I hold the phone in a manner in which I NEVER WOULD!

Hold the phone normally and it works just fine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    This

I can replicate the issue but only when I hold the phone in a manner in which I NEVER WOULD!

Hold the phone normally and it works just fine

Indeed, the way you need to hold it for the signal to drop is so odd. People with iPhone 3GS are reporting the same issue since upgrading to 4.0 so this indeed could be a software problem and not hardware as speculated.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is touching the bottom left an odd way to hold it? Sure when making a call, it's not where a righty would touch it, but when you're using the phone for any action away for your face it's 100% natural for me to cradle the bottom left while tapping with my right hand. And then lefties have the opposite, where they hold it there when using it to make calls.

As in the pics:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong/
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    How is touching the bottom left an odd way to hold it? Sure when making a call, it's not where a righty would touch it, but when you're using the phone for any action away for your face it's 100% natural for me to cradle the bottom left while tapping with my right hand. And then lefties have the opposite, where they hold it there when using it to make calls.

As in the pics:

Those pics make Jobs look more than a little silly. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »

As in the pics:

I hold it with my right hand and use my thumb, doesn't interfere with the signal all.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    I hold it with my right hand and use my thumb, doesn't interfere with the signal all.

I hold it with either hand and also use thumb and don't have a problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    I hold it with either hand and also use thumb and don't have a problem

Was just watching TNT Ep18 and Tom Merritt pretty much found the same as me that if you hold it tightly signal quality drops but when just holding normally its fine.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,357
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    You cant fix a hardware design issue with a sw update....

My advice to anyone who has bought one...take it back asap and get a refund while you still can.
    It's actually possible that this one IS a software fault - or at least partly. It was already mentioned before this issue became widely known about that there was an issue with the signal strength monitor which was to be resolved in a software release. It's very possible that this issue is the phone THINKING it has no signal rather than it ACTUALLY having no signal. I'm currently waiting to see what Apple come up with.

However, Apple really don't help themselves with the arrogance that eminates from their organisation. There is almost a religious zeal that means they can never admit fallability. They're almost like the Catholic church (although with FAR more devout followers ;)).

Apple make great looking products, there is no doubt of that whatsoever. They also make products which are very good to use. However, there ARE compromises which have to be made to acheive those two aims and to a heck of a lot of people those compromises are worth making. To a lot of people they aren't. Unfortunately there are too many people who will make sweeping generalisations on both sides saying because it doesn't do x it's a rubbish product, whilst on the other saide they will say that x doesn't exist and the other must be mistaken.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Apple make great looking products, there is no doubt of that whatsoever. They also make products which are very good to use. However, there ARE compromises which have to be made to acheive those two aims and to a heck of a lot of people those compromises are worth making. To a lot of people they aren't. Unfortunately there are too many people who will make sweeping generalisations on both sides saying because it doesn't do x it's a rubbish product, whilst on the other saide they will say that x doesn't exist and the other must be mistaken.

I completely agree.

That is one of the most sensible and true things I've seen written wrt iPhone v everything else.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some reports that it as at least partly to do with software as some people have demonstrated the phenomenon on 3GS phones that have been updated to iOS 4. There is also a rumour that a patch (version 4.01) might be released next week to deal with this. I doubt many people will be getting this weekend off at Apple HQ.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re those photos. That's exactly the way I hold my phone. I'm holding out on a 4 until I've tried one.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Free Apple Bumpers In The UK!

According to a BBC 5Live interview today iPhone 4 users who go to the Apple store to complain about the 'left hand lost signal phenomenon' are being given a free Apple Bumper to alleviate the problem.

When first seeing the bumper exactly why it had been designed to only protect the edge.

It's the first time Apple have offered a 'case' for sale with a device.

This suggests that Apple was pre-empting a known problem.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the first time Apple have offered a 'case' for sale with a device.

Now that's not true, they've included cases with some products before and they've offered optional ones at the same time.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    I'm having this problem, so wonder if they will give me a refund on my bumper I bought on Thursday! Hmmm
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,449
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    I'm having this problem, so wonder if they will give me a refund on my bumper I bought on Thursday! Hmmm

Did having that protective bumper help to solve the problem though?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free Apple Bumpers In The UK!

I imagine most of us had already worked that out.

Apple will be disapointed it has got hyped up in that there was a cool £23 or so extra profit to be made there.
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised this [major] drawback with this phone wasn't spotted during the quality control evaluation. There's all hell on about it over on the Apple Discussion forums.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did having that protective bumper help to solve the problem though?

There are apparent pictures of solutions all over the internet. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Yes we have - he is saying that Apple have made a phone that has poor reception. Why are Apple iPhones always crap at being phones?

I have to agree - they really are great at everything, except actually making and receiving calls. Currectly I have a 3GS and it is always dropping or missing calls at home. But my work BB8800 (which is getting on so much it is almost embarissing to use it these days!) always gets full reception and never misses or drops calls here, or on the commute to and from work etc. I often find myslef having to use my work phone as my iPhone can't get very good reception (I'm traveling around a lot these days). Both are on O2, for better or worse.

People love BB's email functions and wish iPhones had the same, but to be honest, I just wish my iPhone had as good reception as my BB, other than that no complaints from me.

The battery isn't great on my iPhone these days, for that reason alone I think I will be upgrading when I can.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £23 for a bumper.

If you bought one of those you need your head looked at anyway.

Edit: lmao at iPhone being "crap as a phone" :D:D

Dear god some people need to turn off their anti-Apple agenda every once in a while. Any opportunity to get a dig in :rolleyes:

My iPhone is fabulous at phoning and texting and voicemail (ie being a phone) - so theres the "crap as a phone" argument out the window then - let's not randomly spout nonsense.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,449
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    There are apparent pictures of solutions all over the internet. :D

It also appears that the metal band round the iPhone 4 has a number of other consequences.

For example, it can give rise to electrical arcing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xC47sEXvZs&playnext_from=TL&videos=iQ4e7taM7go and that metal band round the edges doesn't necessarily protect it that much either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLreo24WYeQ :eek:!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear lord, this is hysterical. I suppose no ones been looking at the HTC G1 or the Nokia videos where you can see the dBM meter fluctuating in exactly the same way when the antenna area is covered? It.Happens.To.All.Phones. Antennae are mandated to be at the bottom by the FCC because it's safer there than at the top nearer the brain. There is no "software" fault that makes this happen in ios4 3GSes because it happened in them all anyway, just as it does in other phones with antennae (all of them). Only the extremely honest level meter ( because of the bare metal) has now got people smothering their antennae all of a sudden. Funny old world.