Options

British Accents on American TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I noticed this online:
Mel is speaking to Niles at their fake engagement party & she refers to Daphne as his Cockney tart, or something similar. Saying Cockney would imply Daphne was from the South of England, more specifically, London. We know this to be untrue as it has been mentioned in numerous other episodes that Daphne is in fact from Manchester, in the Northwest of England. Daphne also has an obvious, and typical, Northern English accent. So for Mel to call her Cockney was inaccurate. On the same theme, the character Simon, Daphne's brother, has an accent that is the complete opposite to Daphne's. He could be called a Cockney and has a strong, but fake, Southern twang. Logically, if the two of them grew up together & he still lives in Manchester (which is established in an episode) there would be no way that he would suddenly pick up a Cockney accent, even if he had lived in the South for a time. Your true accent always comes out when you go home, so to be true to life, Simon should have spoke with a Northern accent. You would think that the casting execs would have seen this pretty glaring error even though it is an American show. It's probably more obvious (and annoying) for British viewers but it's still a mistake none the less.

http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3267/series8

Do you ever notice mistakes like this when you watch American television? I of course can't tell the difference.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Do many US shows use accents other than RP or London/Southern (meaning for English as i've heard Scottish and Irish accents used). Frasier must be the exception :D

The Simpsons are usually bad at accents. Willie is ok as a Scottish characture but when they don't have an British/English actor voicing they are generally terrible.

Seth McFarlane (Family Guy) has a few UK accents up his sleeve but they are generally RP (Stewie, Nigel Pinchley and other upperclass characters) or Cockney (One If by Clam, Two If by Sea)
    Stewie's giving lessons to Eliza to combat her Cockney accent is a direct reference to the play and later film My Fair Lady, in which the girl in question is also named Eliza. Also, Seth MacFarlane based Stewie's voice on that of Rex Harrison in the play
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to remember but I don't think Richard E Grant put on a manchester accent or much of one when he featured in an epi. Was a bit posh for a manchester working class family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, on the episode Daphne and the Butler were talking and they both said stat-us. Don't Britons say Stayt-us?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever I've seen a Brit character in an American show, they seem to only have 2 sort of accents, either a super posh accent, or a "cor blimey, guv'nor" exaggerated cockney accent, I have never met a single person who sounds anything like either of them!
  • Options
    xAries_1990xxAries_1990x Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Whenever I've seen a Brit character in an American show, they seem to only have 2 sort of accents, either a super posh accent, or a "cor blimey, guv'nor" accent, I have never met a single person who sounds anything like either of them!

I agree, it's a bit annoying sometimes. I wish they would have a Brummie or Scouser or someone in their films/tv shows sometimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel's remark was a flippant insult, I don't think she was really striving to be accurate.
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, on the episode Daphne and the Butler were talking and they both said stat-us. Don't Britons say Stayt-us?

Do all Brits pronounce the same words the same way? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but some people on this board seem to make a big deal out of how Britons pronounce things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ironic thing with Frasier is that the only person on the show from the North West was John Mahoney, who was Martin Crane. Born in Blackpool, and grew up in Withington.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AshSan wrote: »
    Mel's remark was a flippant insult, I don't think she was really striving to be accurate.

Do all Brits pronounce the same words the same way? :p

No, but status would not be pronounced stat-us by any Brit not trying to imitate an American accent. It would always be pronounced stayt-us. Pronouncing it stat-us supposes that it is spelt stattus...;);)

IIRC when Coronation Street and EastEnders were shown on some cable channels in the US - they had to provide subtitles...:)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly though Jane Leeves, who played Daphne, is from the South East - born in Ilford, but grew up in East Grinstead - which is where I'm from, but sadly I had no inkling of her existance before Frasier.:(
    I often wondered why Daphne was supposed to be from Manchester - its not like Jane did a particularly stunning accent. It was also odd that some words she used were very out of character for a northern lass only recently arrived in the US - like diaper for nappy, blood pudding rather than black pudding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Friends episode when Emily and Ross meet her two rugby playing friends from the UK, their accents change from Scottish, Irish to English all in the one sentence :eek:
  • Options
    craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle on V - meant to be ex british sas yet speaks in a very strong australian accent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Oddly though Jane Leeves, who played Daphne, is from the South East - born in Ilford, but grew up in East Grinstead - which is where I'm from, but sadly I had no inkling of her existance before Frasier.:(
    I often wondered why Daphne was supposed to be from Manchester - its not like Jane did a particularly stunning accent. It was also odd that some words she used were very out of character for a northern lass only recently arrived in the US - like diaper for nappy, blood pudding rather than black pudding.

I think they chose Manchester just to be different and to show that other locations in England exist :p

Plus...maybe she (Daphne) was trying to assimilate herself into her US lifestyle? (and how long had she been in Seattle before getting the job, I forget...)
    mrbernay wrote: »
    No, but status would not be pronounced stat-us by any Brit not trying to imitate an American accent. It would always be pronounced stayt-us. Pronouncing it stat-us supposes that it is spelt stattus...;);)

IIRC when Coronation Street and EastEnders were shown on some cable channels in the US - they had to provide subtitles...:)

I'm now trying to remember how I naturally pronounce status, but I don't think its fair saying that it would not be pronounced "stay-tus" by any Brit at all.

And lets face it, they do kind of have it more on the mark when it comes to spelling matching pronunciation. Afterall, Digital Spy is a lovely blue kull-our isn't it?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iirc, Jane Leeves said of her audtion that the writers had made Daphne a Manc but had not idea what a Manchester accent sounded like, so she just did a vague Northern accent that could be understood easily by Americans and they didn't notice.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Two of the potentials in series 7 of Buffy had appalling British accents (I think they were aiming London but ended up with Dick Van Dyke). I can't believe Anthony Head managed to do so many scenes with them without bursting out laughing! I know Spike's accent wasn't great but he had the excuse of having lived in America for a few decades.
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,319
    Forum Member
    Jane Leeves has a bizarre accent, I've never heard anyone else with the same accent as her. She sounds a bit like an American trying to do a 'typical' British accent - the posh one every American playing a Brit does.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that Daphne's three brothers were played by an Australian, a Scot and someone from Southern Africa.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Y'all should watch Spartacus Blood and Sand - all those australian and kiwi roman earriors ha ha
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are quite a few British wrestlers around at the moment in TNA and the WWE, and they speak very differently, so that is good to see (I mean compare Shamus to DOuglas Williams for example! :D).
  • Options
    angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are quite a few British wrestlers around at the moment in TNA and the WWE, and they speak very differently, so that is good to see (I mean compare Shamus to DOuglas Williams for example! ).

Ahh Nikita or Katie Lea as she is now known. I Knew Cassy when she started out on FWA. She's had more sudonym's than the average MI5 agent.:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    US Infomertials are strange. I've seen some with "British" hosts but for the life of me I couldn't tell you where from. It's like the equivalent to breakfast DJs :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    US Infomertials are strange. I've seen some with "British" hosts but for the life of me I couldn't tell you where from. It's like the equivalent to breakfast DJs :D
    I read this and think this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtpKjgwi4Sc
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always found it quite odd that Daphne in Fraiser had such a poor British accent when she was actually British. She used the same dreadful accent when she was in Desperate Housewives as well.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Oddly though Jane Leeves, who played Daphne, is from the South East - born in Ilford, but grew up in East Grinstead - which is where I'm from, but sadly I had no inkling of her existance before Frasier.

And who has ever heard of a 'bumbershoot'?......:rolleyes:

For a show that prided itself on its Anglophilia, Frasier was absolutely dreadful when it came to anything British.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Kyle on V - meant to be ex british sas yet speaks in a very strong australian accent

To be fair, quite a few Aussie and Kiwi SAS eventually serve in ours, as there is more scope for actual operations.