Options

Nuisance calls strategy - epic fail!

2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm registered with the Telephone Preference Service, so I rarely receive UK-based nuisance calls. However, that doesn't stop the overseas equivalent, and my usual way of dealing with them is to politely say: "Okay, just a moment please" and call out whichever peculiar bastardisation of my/our name they've just asked to speak to - then rest the receiver on the table until the caller has given up waiting and hung up, usual after just three or four minutes.

This morning though, I got a call when I happened to be viewing a gentleman's leisure video on the laptop, so after going through my usual 'polite' routine, just for divillment I rested the receiver against the laptop speaker. After giving the caller ten minutes of the delightful young Californian lady yelping and whooping and generally expressing her appreciation of her gentleman friend's sexual prowess and unfeasibly large tool, I cut the call and hung up.

Then - yep, you've guessed it - the bastard salesman immediately rang me back! Doh!!! :rolleyes::o:D

What strategy do you have for dealing with nuisance calls?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell the caller the person they want is not in. Even if its me.

Quite often, they never call back.
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    The best thing to do (if you want to get to them) is to keep them on the phone as long as you can. They will have call rates they have to get through and the longer they waste on you the worse for them.
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whatever they are selling, I have just bought last month.

I'm hardly going to buy Another Kitchen every month, am I?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I interrupt them with "I'm not interested thank you.", before hanging up immediately.
  • Options
    SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello.. (notice it's a person trying to sell stuff) Hang up.

Usually takes couple of seconds
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    whatever they are selling, I have just bought last month.

I'm hardly going to buy Another Kitchen every month, am I?
    No idea what they're selling, they never get that far with me!
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hate those pre-recorded messages telling me how to write off my credit card debt.

If you are going to waste my time by making me go and answer the phone, at least have the decency to put a real person on the other end to hang up on!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    The best thing to do (if you want to get to them) is to keep them on the phone as long as you can. They will have call rates they have to get through and the longer they waste on you the worse for them.
    Another advantage with that strategy is that you'll get flagged on the database as a "timewaster", and the calls will stop.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm registered with the Telephone Preference Service, so I rarely receive UK-based nuisance calls. However, that doesn't stop the overseas equivalent, and my usual way of dealing with them is to politely say: "Okay, just a moment please" and call out whichever peculiar bastardisation of my/our name they've just asked to speak to - then rest the receiver on the table until the caller has given up waiting and hung up, usual after just three or four minutes.

This morning though, I got a call when I happened to be viewing a gentleman's leisure video on the laptop, so after going through my usual 'polite' routine, just for divillment I rested the receiver against the laptop speaker. After giving the caller ten minutes of the delightful young Californian lady yelping and whooping and generally expressing her appreciation of her gentleman friend's sexual prowess and unfeasibly large tool, I cut the call and hung up.

Then - yep, you've guessed it - the bastard salesman immediately rang me back! Doh!!! :rolleyes::o:D

What strategy do you have for dealing with nuisance calls?

He probably wanted to hear more.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I burst into tears and tell them how nice it is to hear a voice, just lost my husband, hamster, neighbours bully me, oh sheds on fire got to go
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have caller id and hang up on any numbers I dont recognise.

If its important they'le leave a message.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you blame him? He probably hadn't crashed the yoghurt truck yet. He's probably used to paying 50p a minute for that shit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caller ID is your friend :p
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Another advantage with that strategy is that you'll get flagged on the database as a "timewaster", and the calls will stop.

To be honest, when I worked in an outgoing call centre, if we couldn't get a proper answer - or someone said "i'm busy" (etc.) we put the call-back on so they would be rung again at a later time ;)

Never be rude to a call-centre operator ;) We can make your lives hell :p
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on what they want and who they are.

Some people trying to sell me crap I will just talk a load of old rubbish to em and some people I haggle with. I got my internet and phone down to £7 a month and a very good deal on my tariff with O2.

Most of the time I just hang up though and they don't bother calling back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I have caller id and hang up on any numbers I dont recognise.

If its important they'le leave a message.
    I do that but without the caller ID. If someone wants me quickly, they know to call my mobile where I can see it's them.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Next time, I'm contemplating taking them through security.

Mother's maiden name.
    Name of first pet.

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just burst into tears and say you are at the wake of the person they are asking for (even if its you).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    A large whistle usualy gets shot of them or just stick the phone under a cushion or do as i do & give the phone to my daughter, who delights in gobbledygook.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't plug in my landline. Problem solved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just remembered my son has a Vuvuzela. :D
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Cherry84 wrote: »
    I just remembered my son has a Vuvuzela. :D

I want one of those. Where did you get it? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    <snip>

Never be rude to a call-centre operator ;) We can make your lives hell :p
    And don't we know it! :D
  • Options
    sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the "Arnold Calls" soundboard.