Options

Why do so many English people hate Andy Murray?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Walk over I guess he will have to wait for Nadal and Fed to retire.

Nadal is only about a year older than Murray.

Just have to hope his knees give in soon.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scottish when he wins, and Scottish when he loses. That's always been my take on him. And today, Murray is very Scottish indeed. :D

He's a miserable git, but we're supposed to love him, 'cos he's British, despite the surliness... Doesn't cut it for me.

The last British tennis player I liked was Jeremy Bates. "C'mon Jeremy!' :D
  • Options
    k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoL the interviewer asking Nadal if he felt sorry for Murray and wanted to let him win.

What a stupid stupid question.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scottish when he wins, and Scottish when he loses. That's always been my take on him. And today, Murray is very Scottish indeed. :D

He's a miserable git, but we're supposed to love him, 'cos he's British, despite the surliness... Doesn't cut it for me.

The last British tennis player I liked was Jeremy Bates. "C'mon Jeremy!' :D

I don't love him - but I don't hate him either. I don't really get all the Scottish / English hatred thing tbh.

I would love him to win Wimbledon - I would love ANY Brit to win. But I'm not breaking my heart that he didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a kind, lovely person you are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    What a kind, lovely person you are.

Why thank you my dear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obadia wrote: »
    This. Tennis is an indivdual sport and you support who you like. But if Murray doesn't even pretend to support Britain in the Davis Cup, why should I support him?

I concur with what you say.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hands off, I saw him first and posted my luurve for him pages ago on this thread.:p

chance of getting my hands on would be a fine thing!

<drools>
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This. Tennis is an indivdual sport and you support who you like. But if Murray doesn't even pretend to support Britain in the Davis Cup, why should I support him?
    I don't understand why he seems to treat the Davis Cup as a distraction

I think Bjorn Borg was very much committed to participating in the Davis Cup during his playing career & he still managed to win 5 Wimbledons on the trot :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I don't understand why he seems to treat the Davis Cup as a distraction

I think Bjorn Borg was very much committed to participating in the Davis Cup during his playing career & he still managed to win 5 Wimbledons on the trot :confused:

Yes, and Tim Henman, who many deride as a loser, was also committed to the team and made a come back to the Davis Cup team after a time out. Also McEnroe loved to play Davis Cup and Rusedski for GB etc.

That said, I don't wish Murray ill I just can't really be overly fussed over him. In tennis I want the best man or woman to win, except Fed Cup for the girls and Davis Cup for the boys.
  • Options
    lilhunni_Jolilhunni_Jo Posts: 13,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair, Murray has played plenty of Davis Cup but it didn't seem to make a difference we lost anyway, and he was injured in it...there's so much pressure on him to win a slam and be high in the rankings that he can't really afford to risk getting injured for a team that's so low down. It's not as if he hasn't tried playing for them, and at the level the team is at, they should be trying to win even without him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, Murray has played plenty of Davis Cup but it didn't seem to make a difference we lost anyway, and he was injured in it...there's so much pressure on him to win a slam and be high in the rankings that he can't really afford to risk getting injured for a team that's so low down. It's not as if he hasn't tried playing for them, and at the level the team is at, they should be trying to win even without him.

I understand your point to an extent. However, no matter how poor your country is I think you should try to turn out for them unless you are injured, otherwise you can't complain when it is pointed out that you want the support at the majors but don't give it back to GB with the Davis Cup.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand your point to an extent. However, no matter how poor your country is I think you should try to turn out for them unless you are injured, otherwise you can't complain when it is pointed out that you want the support at the majors but don't give it back to GB with the Davis Cup.

I think the last tie was the only one he's missed, and they were playing a team of no hopers anyway, who still managed to beat us.

It would have been like Messi turning out for his local pub team..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    chance of getting my hands on would be a fine thing!

<drools>

We could get together and launch a two pronged attack. Once we reached our target though, I would dispose of you in the most rutheless way.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Walk over I guess he will have to wait for Nadal and Fed to retire.

Yeah i agree, he is bottler! Although he has beat them two he just cant take the heat!!

I'm sick of him, he was ahead and crapped it! :o:(

The usual boll0cks eh
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murray being interviewed as to why Wimbledon is important "Because its a Grand Slam"..........there you have it, it means no more to him than any other Grand Slam
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He lost? Oh dear, I am upset. Hahaha.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Because people who play sports are f*cking annoying.

Exactly. Nothing to do with him being Scottish (I'm Welsh by the way). I can't stand him and his petty little tantrums.
    Sport is so boring yet most professional sports people seem to be so "up themselves" and Murray is a prime example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Murray being interviewed as to why Wimbledon is important "Because its a Grand Slam"..........there you have it, it means no more to him than any other Grand Slam

It's his job. You would expect him to consider those four tournaments the most important, not just one to prove his patriotism.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does puzzle me is the hatred that seems to be directed at Andy. I can understand people finding him dull and boring, but the allegations about his arrogance or his tantrums just seem completely without foundation.

Anyway, yesterday he played very well (something he hasn't always done this year) but Nadal played brilliantly. There's no shame in losing like that, but it was certainly disappointing for many of us, and for Andy most of all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    What does puzzle me is the hatred that seems to be directed at Andy. I can understand people finding him dull and boring, but the allegations about his arrogance or his tantrums just seem completely without foundation.

Anyway, yesterday he played very well (something he hasn't always done this year) but Nadal played brilliantly. There's no shame in losing like that, but it was certainly disappointing for many of us, and for Andy most of all.

He did play well, as he has all tournament. Losing to Nadal on that form is nothing to justify attacking him over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more than a bit worried that the bloke (who's name I STILL can't remember) who beat Federer and Djokovic, might beat Rafa in the final. H'e a very good player and seems like a really nice chap though, but I don't want him to upset Rafa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I can't read 33 pages but i've read some of it. As has been said it is largely based on some of the stuff he has said in the past.

Also, a lot of Scottish and Irish people are very vocal about supporting any other team than England. It is a case of as well what goes around comes around. I think some people are getting tired of it tbh.

Many also don't want to perform under the banner of GB in the Olympic games as they don't like the English.

So whilst i might not dislike the guy i don't care much about him mainly because of the attitude of many Scottish and Irish people don't endear me to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

That's terrible! What sort of triumph would that be for Murray? Knowing the only reason he won was because Nadal's knees gave in?

I'm a Rafa fan and have been for about 4 years now, so i did support him against Murray, and will support him against Berdych. I like Murray and Berdych (though i know lots of tennis fans hate the latter's power-style), but i must remain loyal :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get this. A BRITISH tennis player is the third best player in the world behind Nadal and Federer

Actually, that would be Djokovic, who also reached the semis this Wimbledon. :p

Djokovic is number 3 in the world, has a slam (the Australian Open) and has more career titles than Murray (17 to 14). Same age as Murray as well (well, just a week younger).