Options

Bloody neighbour and his loud music

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia which means I am in constant pain and there isn't a day when I'm not fatigued out of my tiny little mind. For some reason, I cannot sleep at night due to panic attacks, and although my doctor has advised me against it (as if) I tend to try and catch up on sleep during the day so I can at least function for my daughter when she gets home from school.

Well my neighbour has taken to playing his music very loud, complete with full bass, it makes my bed shake and I can hear it through my very thin walls.

I managed not to sleep yesterday as I had too much to do, and hoped it would reset me as I was exhausted, but as usual I was unable to sleep til gone 2am and had to be up at 6.15

My doctor prescribed me an emergency 7 day course of 10mg of temazepam, which I even managed to have a panic attack on and as a result was up all night again.

I know I'm not in a position to complain about the level of music volume during the day, but I'm getting to the point where my health, mental and physical, is being exacerbated.

What do I do? I'm in a right state right now, and my normal medication has stopped working, which means another round of trial and error.

:cry:

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    can`t you explain the situation to your neighbour and ask him if he could turn it down a bit?
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Environmental Health. Simples! I absolutely detest loud neighbors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kupo_nut wrote: »
    I know I'm not in a position to complain about the level of music volume during the day, but I'm getting to the point where my health, mental and physical, is being exacerbated.

Oh yes you are! ANY loud noise is unacceptable, regardless of whether it is 2am or 2pm. Speak to the environmental health department at the local council and start keeping a noise diary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    If you feel confident enough, I'd advise you to do this first...
    can`t you explain the situation to your neighbour and ask him if he could turn it down a bit?

...and if that fails, do this next....
    ohirome wrote: »
    Environmental Health. Simples! I absolutely detest loud neighbors.

Sounds like this neighbour is very inconsiderate, can't stand people like that :mad:
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kupo_nut wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

I

What do I do? I'm in a right state right now, and my normal medication has stopped working, which means another round of trial and error.

:cry:

Yes you are , there is a certain level where noise is a nuisance regardless of the time and you can complain .Have you tried speaking to him and the first thing to ask is where are his speakers positioned .It may be a case of moving them if they are on the party wall .
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why not buy your neighbour some headphones?
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also are you a council/housing association/private tenant? He he a tenant if you own your house? If so, you could speak to the council/HA/landlord to see if there is anything they can do to help you?
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    Also are you a council/housing association/private tenant? He he a tenant if you own your house? If so, you could speak to the council/HA/landlord to see if there is anything they can do to help you?

My daughter has a similar problem. The council have been round and he has been told the hours he can play his music very very loudly and when he can't.
    So during the hours in the day he is allowed to have it full blast ...he does. Its totally wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not buy your neighbour some headphones?

My friend did that - the residents in his block all clubbed together. Sadly, the guy liked to sing along and it was even worse. :(
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My friend did that - the residents in his block all clubbed together. Sadly, the guy liked to sing along and it was even worse. :(

Plus a gag!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus a gag!

Apparently he howled like a wolf when he sang - very disturbing.

OP, have we convinced you yet that you have grounds for complaint?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently he howled like a wolf when he sang - very disturbing.

OP, have we convinced you yet that you have grounds for complaint?

There is no law against playing music loud in the day time I'm afraid
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think I'll go round if it gets any worse and politely explain the situation.

Thanks for the advice, it means a lot. Shall keep you all informed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    littleweed wrote: »

And your source for that statement is?

OP, you may find this helpful.

http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/noise/environmental-noise/noise-pollution/

Noise nuisance is defined as anything that a reasonable person may find a nuisance. Very loud music and a thudding bass would seem very unreasonable to me!
  • Options
    MadameFifiMadameFifi Posts: 287
    Forum Member

who told you that

fifi x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And your source for that statement is?

OP, you may find this helpful.

http://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/noise/environmental-noise/noise-pollution/

Noise nuisance is defined as anything that a reasonable person may find a nuisance. Very loud music and a thudding bass would seem very unreasonable to me!

You might be able to complain but I bet nothing is done! Do you know how hard it is to get noisy music stopped at night? almost imposable so the chances of getting it stopped in the day time just because someone wants to nap will be impossible... The law does not accommodate night workers having a noise free environment so daytime nappers have no chance.

I too have a daytime nap so I'm not being unsympathetic just realistic.

Also read this post
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=41610810&postcount=9
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadameFifi wrote: »
    who told you that

fifi x

If there were we would not have to put up with people playing loud music while they sit in the garden or the beach. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might be able to complain but I bet nothing is done! Do you know how hard it is to get noisy music stopped at night? almost imposable so the chances of getting it stopped in the day time just because someone wants to nap will be impossible... The law does not accommodate night workers having a noise free environment so daytime nappers have no chance.

I too have a daytime nap so I'm not being unsympathetic just realistic.

Also read this post
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=41610810&postcount=9

The law is the law. Whether councils do their jobs properly is another matter. The problem I have here is that you are saying there is nothing legally to stop noise nuisance and there is. I know - I've done it! I am concerned you are giving the OP duff information by telling her there's nothing councils can do.

I did a Google search and picked a Council (Birmingham) at random. Its says:

There are no periods of time when the playing of loud music is specifically allowed. If the noise is causing a nuisance to others then it is a nuisance regardless of the time of day, or day of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The law is the law. Whether councils do their jobs properly is another matter. The problem I have here is that you are saying there is nothing legally to stop noise nuisance and there is. I know - I've done it! I am concerned you are giving the OP duff information by telling her there's nothing councils can do.

Well if the OP can deal with all that needs to be done to stop someone playing music in the daytime. then kudos to them for that. Its not something I would personally take on as its never ending and even at the end it does not mean the noise will stop.

I personally would look for things to make my sleep better than stir up bad feelings with neighbours. especially if not very well anyway.

Also just because the OP says its really loud it does not mean it is. It could be way below the noise levels required to prosecute. Noise always seems much worse when you are trying to sleep.

Maybe try earplugs with your own softer music on headphones,( or maybe white noise) have a hot bath with lavender oil and put lavender oil on your pillow ( just one or two drops )
  • Options
    Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you were allowed to play loudish music till a certain time
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 75,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I used to live there was a neighbour who played his stereo loud at night into the early hours. I worked nights, so had no idea how the neighbours were suffering,as I wasnt there-- but they all kept a diary and complained to the relevant council dept. and they came round and took his stereo away. FACT. My neighbour told me at the time it all happened, so they DO do something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Buy some cheap headphones and send them to his address with his name of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I used to live there was a neighbour who played his stereo loud at night into the early hours. I worked nights, so had no idea how the neighbours were suffering,as I wasnt there-- but they all kept a diary and complained to the relevant council dept. and they came round and took his stereo away. FACT. My neighbour told me at the time it all happened, so they DO do something.

Erm the OP is complaining about daytime noise not night time.
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sorry to hear of your problem OP ..im lucky to have lovely neighbours,,,their older so the odd blast of The Kinks or the Beatles in the afternoon is all i have to put up with.
    Id also suggest speaking to the guy if hes approachable..if not enviromental health..
    i believe the noise abatement act allows people to play "loud" music between 7am and 11pm unless its changed.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 75,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm the OP is complaining about daytime noise not night time.

I would still give it a go.