Options

Intermittent sound loss with Tiscali+

13»

Comments

• Options
    billingebillinge Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Hi James,
    real shame you've decided to leave Tiscali, but I can't blame you at all. The HDMI sound issue is the only real problem I have at the moment, but I am starting to get rather frustrated that TalkTalk are not developing the tv product, meanwhile, BT vision, Virgin, and future products like CatchUp Tv look real attractive options, but all seem more expensive than Tiscali.
    Be interesting to hear how you get on, moving to BT.
    I'm going to look at the cost for that and Virgin again, and maybe bite the bullet.
    good luck
    Billinge
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Hi Billinge

I wish I was in a Virgin Media area as I would of moved to them by now as there services are really good and the price is not bad too. But as I am not in there Virgin area then Tiscali seemed the best option but you are right TalkTalk are not doing much to bring the TV service on any more.
    I will give BT a go but if I dont have much luck ill have to bite the built and get Sky again.
    Hope you manage to cancel your contract with out any problems like I am having.

James
  • Options
    kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it has worked well I am now going to leave Tiscali as I am now having nothing but problems with the billing they have over charged my for the past three months and are not giving me the money back and I have just found out that when TalkTalk made the name change of Tiscali to Talk Talk they have signed all the Tiscali customers up for another 18 Months with out telling us because when I went to cancel my contract with them they said I can not because I had signed up for another 18 months in March.

I have asked TalkTalk for my contract I Signed in March and after being passed from piller to post they have now told me they signed me up with out asking and they have now logged a new call to get me removed from the contract.

They have also said I can not just cancel my contract because they have messed up on there accounts side I need my services to have a problem so I have an engineer coming out on Friday to show then the rebooting router and HDMI HD sound problem.

I think Since TalkTalk have taken over Tiscali the support side is rubbish and they don't care about helping any one out and I am going to go with BT and get the BT Vision as they are offering Sky sports and HD TV soon as well as all the on demand.

Hi James,

I too am sorry to hear that. :(

http://www.connectotel.com/marcus/ceoemail.html

Sort out Charles Dunstone from above, word it nicely and see if he takes an interest, if he does you are in luck, it did work for me some months ago. ;):)

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the info I have sent him an email on Monday but not heard anything back yet.

I have an engineer round tomorrow so I am going to make sure my TV has problems and then I will cancel my TV package and keep the Internet and Phone as they cant mess that up and I cant afford the down time in my Internet.

I have gone out and got a PlayTV for my PS3 and its very good and easy to use and then for the Sky channels I am going to Sign up to Sky Player on my XBOX 360 as this also has alot of on demand content and Sky 1. This will work out alot cheaper then what I am paying TalkTalk for the TV service too so fingers crossed I get it sorted in the next week or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi all

Just to let you know I have cancelled my TV service because I was having no luck in sorting my billing out with them. On the plus Side for anyone who is looking for another service to go to I would recommend looking at Sky player on the Xbox.

It is costing me less than it would to have a sky box and although I cannot record the sky content a lot of it is put in the on demand section and it if free if you subscribe to that package and the quality is really good.

If you get sports you get lots of sports on demand as well as sky sports News and 1 2 3 and 4.

You can get sky Sky movies and you get sky movie channels and also a massive catalog of on demand movies included in the price.

You also get kiddy channels and this has on demand too as well as nature stuff.

You can also get ESPN too.

It will also let you watch the same channel with someone else you know who has Sky Player on their Xbox and chat to them. (Up to 8 people can do this at the same time so very good for the football)

If you get everything that is available on sky player it will cost £54.50 but this can also be accessed by using up to 4 pc's as well.

For the recording side I have got Play TV for my PS3 it is just a Freeview box that you are able to record through the PS3 but it is all working really wall and it will upscale to 1080i.

I have also had my router changed for a different Model it is no longer the Thomson one and it has not over heated yet.

I wish you all good look getting all your problems sorted out or if not I would recommend looking at the sky player or play TV option.

James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry I put the price as £54.50 it is £50.50 the max price and you also get sky one too.

James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi All

Sorry this is a None TV question but I was wondering if anyone has noticed they are now unable to download torrents?

I have noticed my server is now no longer able to download torrents and this seems to of been since I canceled my TV service.

Has any one else noticed this problem over the last 2 weeks or so.

I know Torrents can be copied software but I use them to download ready made Linux VM pc's to use for work so it is a must have for me.

If anyone is having this problem please let me know.

James
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a test I'm downloading a piece of music with Bit Torrent and it seems to be going fine :confused:

Perhaps you could try Bit Torrent if you're not already using it - it's quite friendly.

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm getting so annoyed with this intermittent sound issue now. No news or updates from TT at all.

I've just been to the TTTV Support Forums to find all threads relating to the issue, (including mine dating back +7 months, which I asked them to keep up until the issue was resolved) have all been deleted, no sign of any problems for HDMI users.

I think it may be time to go to Virgin Media or BT Vision, it just pains me that both will cost quite a bit more per month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you have posted half an hour earlier, Billinge? I've just ordered an HDMI cable, having forgotten all about this issue :p

I'll try to remember to report my findings - though if I do get sound drop-outs even I will be reminded to post here :rolleyes:

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the reply about the internet and tortents it was not a tiscali problem it was to do with my home server and I have now managed to fix it.

As For the sound problem I know what you mean it has been going on for far too long been going on for over 12 months now. I locked at bt virgin and sky but I found that the best and creepiest option was to stay with tiscali for my phone and internet and use my ps 3 for the recordin of freeview and got sky player on my xbox and this worked out creeper than tiscali sky bt and virgin plus sky player is not a 12 month contact you just cancel you r direct debit before the payment is due and the on demand side is very good too.plus you can watch the same channels like movies or sports with up to 8 other people who have sky player and chat to them to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sorry parthena, bummer!
    Maybe you'll have better luck than me with the HDMI SD, which is Tiscali's current solution for custimers, but just produces a split screen for me.

James,
    I like your solution, just seems wrong to keep paying Tiscali the same but not using their tv.
    I have considered getting a little Revo r3610 from eBuyer (£199), then use it as a media pc, and get BBC iPlayer/ITV Player/4OD/Five Demand/ and perhaps Sky Player through that, but the 2mb broadband seems to struggle lately with BBC iPlayer through my Humax HD Freesat box, so a better internet connection might be better, and Cable and BT seem to be best for reliable speed.

I have used my Wii for BBC iPlayer until it became available on Freesat, and I don't have any other games consoles.

How much does Sky Player cost? I assume it's free if you subscribe to Sky (my Mum subscribes but doesn't use Sky Player, wouldn't know how to).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That sound s a good idea it is only because I already had a ps 3 i got play tv because the freeview tuner for the ps3 was only 35 pounds and let's me record tv like the tiscali tv box and up scales to 1080i. You don't need a sky contact to get sky player if you go to skyplayer.com it has the info on there you can use an xbox 360 or windows media centre to watch it or through internet explorer. The basick package is 15 pounds that is for sky one uk gold nature channels kids tv mtv and some other channels as well as a lot of on demand channels then you can add on all sky sports sky movies which is really good as you will never watch the live channels as there is 100 s of on demands movies on there you can also get espn too.
    If you get all the packages it will cost a max of 50.50 pounds a month. It works by watching it on 1 xbox or 1 media centre as well as 4 pcs at the same time this is without having sky tv phone or internet.

Hope this helped but if you look at sky virgin or a
    ny other provider for just internet and phone no one will be cheeper than tiscali that's why I stayed with them as my phone and internet have never had any problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I changed from SCART to HDMI cable. So far, no sound problems observed, I'll keep this thread posted.

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Parthena,
    I really hope you don't have the same problems. Let us know how you get on, and whether you've set your box to HDMI (HD) or HDMI (SD). Tiscali/TalkTalk's easy solution is to switch to HDMI(SD), but that doesn't work for me, as I get a split screen.

good luck
    Billinge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had a PM from Tiscali/TalkTalk saying their next generation box will fix the sound issue known to plague some users.
    No information on when this box will be available or who will get it.

TalkTalk are so disjointed, no-one on their phone lines knows anything about the HDMI sound fault, I've a thread on their support forums going back to about November last year, and yet TalkTalk complaints say they have no record of me reporting it, even though I had my box replaced in April which did not fix the fault, the engineers who come out know nothing about it.

Anyone here know anything about this new box?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is affected by the HDMI sound drop-out I would suggest that they connect via SCART instead (if they have a spare socket) because I don't notice an improvement in PQ with HDMI against the excellent PQ via SCART on my 720p plasma.

I don't have the sound drop-out problem... so far :rolleyes:

I would love to know about the new box :eek: I'm on the verge of getting a Freeview HD PVR but they're all glitchy at the mo, am holding off and hoping that TT come up with something - Canvas is taking decades to get off the ground :mad:

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm told, by a TalkTalk engineer, that the target is November for the new boxes, could be later of course, but still quite a wait to go. He seemed sure that we would get the new box, so we'll seem, of we decide to stick with TT of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for passing that on, Billinge :)

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad to here they are replacing the boxes it sounds like TalkTalk are going to invest in the TV side of the Market then.

Well when you get the new boxes let me know how you get on because if they fix the problems we have been having with the old ones I might look at going back to the TV package.

James