Options

The All-New 'Upstairs, Downstairs'

44444444 Posts: 1,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lengthy and fairly interesting article in today's Mail about the relaunching of the popular period drama series and insight into the cast:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1297362/Upstairs-Downstairs-new-cast.html

Doesn't Keeley Hawes look like Rachel Gurney? :eek:

Just one thing, how many times do they have to mention that it will be 'shot through with sensuality'? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very excited by this. I loved the old series of Upstairs Downstairs and it will be interesting to see how the new one compares.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Loved the original series, and looking forward to this. At first I thought it was just a remake, but I was pleased to see it's going to be with different characters. Any indication of when it will air? I presume they've started shooting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't they just make a period drama a bit like upstairs downstairs. Remakes like this never work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alastair_r wrote: »
    Why can't they just make a period drama a bit like upstairs downstairs. Remakes like this never work.

It's not a remake, it's the same premise as Upstairs Downstairs, with all different characters. So, basically what you just described :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it's trying to be the same house and still has rose. If it's not as good as upstairs downstairs then will look even worse. Why not have a period family and not have any reference to another show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alastair_r wrote: »
    But it's trying to be the same house and still has rose. If it's not as good as upstairs downstairs then will look even worse. Why not have a period family and not have any reference to another show

Ah yes I see what you mean. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, it seems to have a good cast, so it may be good? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how they'll film it. Studio sets don't seem to be used anymore. Also there stuck in the 1930's as upstairs ended in the 1920's. A show in the Edwardian era with upper class people seems to work much better
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    As long as they keep it to the standard of the 'original' series I am looking forward to it! Rose might have to wear a wig or get a bit of slap on though! Nothing against Jean Marsh - but it is 35 years-on! It's supposed to be six years later when this starts!
    Look forward to seeing Ann Reid as the new cook!!

One thing the BBC are good at is period dramas, I can see this being a success!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather use the mini series format for things like these. That way they can plan it better. Get whoever wrote Inspector Morse as that was popular but really well written. Don't know how it will work in the 1930's though.
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As 'Upstairs Downstairs' is my favourite drama of all time, I am somewhat apprehensive about the idea. One of the best things about the original series was that it was done in the style of a studio play (which,as a theatregoer really appealed to me). I'm worried that they will give it the 'film effect' and add eerie electronic background music (which seems almost obligatory these days). Whilst I applaud the return of Jean Marsh, it might have been better to cast her in a different role. After all, she was in her thirties when she last played the part. The story has only moved on six years, and she's now in her seventies!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,580
    Forum Member
    As 'Upstairs Downstairs' is my favourite drama of all time, I am somewhat apprehensive about the idea. One of the best things about the original series was that it was done in the style of a studio play (which,as a theatregoer really appealed to me). I'm worried that they will give it the 'film effect' and add eerie electronic background music (which seems almost obligatory these days). Whilst I applaud the return of Jean Marsh, it might have been better to cast her in a different role. After all, she was in her thirties when she last played the part. The story has only moved on six years, and she's now in her seventies!

having watched ITV3 repeats at weekends, I think the years Jean Marsh was in UD were 1910-1913

so Rose would have aged 30 years since she was last in it, granted this is still less time than when Jean played (but a little bit of licence can be taken)

personally I can't understand why ITV didn't do this themselves

first Auf Wiedersehen Pet, now this - why is ITV allowing it's genuinely classic shows to be revived by Beeb
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taking some big liberties here, the only link from the old show, Rose, and 35 years later she is 6 years older, hmmm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    taking some big liberties here, the only link from the old show, Rose, and 35 years later she is 6 years older, hmmm

The show never really kept its eye on the time clock, though, which did make things a bit ridiculous. If you take the case of Mrs Bridges, for example, she would have been in her 50's when the series started (1903) and would have been in her 80's by the time it ended (1930), but you wouldn't have thought so. She looked absolutely no different, despite the passing of '27 years', nor did David Bellamy, Hudson, Daisy, Ruby, etc., etc. The only character that seemed to deliberately age was James who started getting obvious grey streaks in his hair by the fifth series. I don't know what he'd been taking but clearly it wasn't the same water as the others at 165 Eaton Place! :D
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really think this should be left alone.
    A great series in it's day.

Updates/remakes are rarely ever as good as the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having watched ITV3 repeats at weekends, I think the years Jean Marsh was in UD were 1910-1913

Actually, Jean Marsh was in the whole run, covering 1903 to 1930. Apparently, the only reason the show was dropped in 1975 was because the actors were decades younger than the characters they were playing and it was beginning to look as if they had taken some elixir of life!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason that some posters believe that the story started in 1907 is that ITV3 never show episodes 2-6, because they were filmed in black and white, due to a technicians' strike.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member

so Rose would have aged 30 years since she was last in it, granted this is still less time than when Jean played (but a little bit of licence can be taken)

first Auf Wiedersehen Pet, now this - why is ITV allowing it's genuinely classic shows to be revived by Beeb

Would you rather see a flashy updated Americanised updated Hollywood version featuring somebody black as one of the servants or a Brittish revival ( there was no racist intent or offence meant by the comment about serving staff)? Nobody could call Upstairs, downstairs racist because all the staff were white.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They may have tried. I remember a few years back there were rumours of certainly a remake with Kathy Burke rumoured to be among those considered for a part, but nothing materialised. ITV may have approached Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins (or whatever John Hawkesworth's Sagitta Productions has now become) in the past, or vice versa, and maybe something about what they wanted to do was not quite right and things went back and forth before ultimately being rejected, don't know. Obviously the BBC project sounded more desirable so they went with that and I have to say that this, together with Downton Abbey, are among the most exciting tv projects of the year as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Would you rather see a flashy updated Americanised updated Hollywood version featuring somebody black as one of the servants or a Brittish revival ( there was no racist intent or offence meant by the comment about serving staff)? Nobody could call Upstairs, downstairs racist because all the staff were white.

speaking as a black, it wouldn't bother me

I'll stick my neck out say I'm sure there were some black servants working in Britain back in the 30's

maybe I'm too pc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, Jean Marsh was in the whole run, covering 1903 to 1930. Apparently, the only reason the show was dropped in 1975 was because the actors were decades younger than the characters they were playing and it was beginning to look as if they had taken some elixir of life!

didn't know that, I didn't think JM was in the later series

haven't watched all of them yet

Sat's double was very good, liked the Alfred one best
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    speaking as a black, it wouldn't bother me

I'll stick my neck out say I'm sure there were some black servants working in Britain back in the 30's

maybe I'm too pc

There would certainly have been many - although due to social changes there were far fewer domestic servant in the 30s than before WW1.

At the end of the 'original' series Rose left to work as a Ladies Maid with Viscount Bellamy and his 2nd wife - the implications here would be that they both died because otherwise she'd have stayed there in semi retirement.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didn't know that, I didn't think JM was in the later series

haven't watched all of them yet

Sat's double was very good, liked the Alfred one best

She is in the very last scene.

Walking alone through the empty house (the family and staff had gone and the removal men had just finished their work) as various sound snippets from down the years are played. She walks through tjhe front door, closes it behind her and heads off down the street without looking back.

I often wondered what age some of the characters were meant to be.

It was mentioned last Saturday that James was 30 in 1912. Assuming his father was, say, 22 years older Richard would have been 70 when the series finished (1930). If Hudson was, say, 65 in 1930 (he wouldn't have been much older as, in that situation he'd have been able retire to the Southwold Estate at that point rather than go into business) this would make him about 40 when the series first started - and he'd have looked an old 40 - same with Mrs Bridges.

The most unbelievable one of all was Sir Geoffrey Dillon who must be 50 at the start but is still there in the end looking not a day older.

Let's put it down to poetic licence.

For me the Albert episode is one of my least favourite, thought it rather over acted.
  • Options
    mysterymermaidmysterymermaid Posts: 13,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The casting is very good, look forward to seeing it..
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's really going to be a re launch. Same house, one main character returning.

It should work well set in mid 30's. Gosford Park for instance (written by Julian Fellowes who is writing ITV's Downton Abbey) worked brilliantly. Even during the war and into the 50's households were still run like this, and there are probably still a few today.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never saw the original, I always wanted to when I saw it airing on ITV3, but I'd rather watch from the start than halfway through.

I'll watch anything with Anne Reid though, wonderful actress :) So looking forward to this!