Options

English people living in Scotland still getting abused daily?

Comments

• Options
    bigtunesbigtunes Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k-bola wrote: »
    That's really terrible:(
    The sad thing is it is a beautiful country to visit but is unfortunately populated by some mindless petty thugs who live on a diet of Irn Bru and fried pizza.

That's deep fried pizza...

My girlfriends originally from Duns and has lived in Glasgow for years before she moved down to sunny Hampshire. I've spent loads of time in Glasgow and never had any grief from anyone.

At times I've entertained myself whilst she was at work and been all over the city, stopped off in some 'locals' pubs in what she describes as the dodgy areas and apart from a bit of trouble with my 'cockney' (it's not but who am I to argue) accent when ordering drinks haven't had a problem at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I'm a Scot and I moved to England 22 years ago and have lived in the same Council house for 18 years, my neighbours all keep to themselves though we nod or say hello when out in the street but that's it.

When I moved in one of my neighbours did tell me as all the others knew each other they had heard the empty house was being rented to a Scottish family and were really worried we would be trouble makers but she said they were so relieved when the saw us with the removal van
    and this 4ft 10 woman and two kids get out.

When I lived a home in Scotland, if you met a neighbour out in the street 9 times out of 10 you would be invited in for a cup of tea or vice versa, after all this time being in England I still find it very lonely but I moved here to give my kids a chance of getting jobs etc., as the prospects at home were nil, and they both have done really well so I'm very pleased about that.
    Like anywhere else in the UK there are areas you wouldn't want to go and live and there are places in Scotland I wouldn't live, so if anyone is going to move there they should really look into the area.
    I have found down here that people do like my accent and often will comment on it if I'm in a shop etc., or where I work they really like my accent and all the wee scottish words which may be spoken that they haven't heard of and I have to translate when I see a blank look on their face and they sometimes have to translate for me when they say a word I haven't heard of, it does give us all a good laugh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    Bwahahahahahaha! Best laugh of the night :D

Crap troll too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    So what difference does it make if you are English or Scottish?
    They shouldn't say anything to anyone but they do.
    Luckily we are much more tolerant and open minded down here which is why I think a lot of the smarter Scots escape and come to work down here.

Are you for real?.
  • Options
    Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Best post of the thread Piper4. :)
  • Options
    k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bwahahahahahaha! Best laugh of the night :D

Well I can't convince you as you are Scottish but when you have walked down the street in Scotland and been been the victim of an unprovoked attack because of being English you will see why I prefer England.

Also, Scotland is too white for me. In London we accept all races and creeds whereas in Scotland people openly stare at non-white people. It is quite disturbing and also quite sad.

However, I don't mind as I never intend to return ever.
  • Options
    SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an English accent and work around Crossmaglen.

Some of you guys moan too much.:cool:
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I can't convince you as you are Scottish but when you have walked down the street in Scotland and been been the victim of an unprovoked attack because of being English you will see why I prefer England.

Also, Scotland is too white for me. In London we accept all races and creeds whereas in Scotland people openly stare at non-white people. It is quite disturbing and also quite sad.

Where were you? That doesn't happen in any of the places I've lived up here.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think many up North will be too concerned, can you promise never to come to Yorkshire too while you're at it?.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hahahahaha. Never lived here at all, have you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think many up North will be too concerned, can you promise never to come to Yorkshire too while you're at it?.

No I like Yorkshire, nice friendly people and I don't appreciate your hostile tone, you sound like a Scot.
  • Options
    GnobeGnobe Posts: 462
    Forum Member

Well Scotland doesn't have local newspapers that moan about immigration all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I like Yorkshire, nice friendly people and I don't appreciate your hostile tone, you sound like a Scot.

lmao.
    Well I am sure millions of Scot's don't appreciate your hostility towards them because of maybe one incident you suffered.

Should I hate all English because of a handful of idiots?, no I don't.

I am afraid it seems I am more tolerant and open minded than you, I don't blame an entire country for the actions of a few mindless thugs unlike you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnobe wrote: »
    Well Scotland doesn't have local newspapers that moan about immigration all the time.

That's the Daily Mail, it is national!

You know what's brilliant about Scotland? best fish and chips in the country with 'sauce', miss that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No such thing as sounding like a Scot, unless it's an accent.

There is such a thing as sounding like a knob... it's you.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White on white racism:confused:

By KENNY McALPINE and JENNIFER EDELSTEN

Published: Today

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3073383/Dad-Barry-Luke-tells-of-hell-over-yob-attacks-in-Scotland.html#ixzz0v73MrJSv

"The youths are running about, drinking, smoking and taking drugs. They are terrorising the place but when you stand up to them their parents get involved and make it worse. You are in a no-win situation."

I suspect that has more to do with it as than the fact they were English.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you've got a few McCains on your own shoulder.

Anyway I think the key here is "tough Nitshill, Glasgow". I don't much fancy staying there myself and I'm Scottish.

Even the cops aren't keen on going there!
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Saying a place is 'too white' is a racist remark.
    As for your not coming north again,feel free.
  • Options
    reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been to Scotland once and it was very nice but if you believe the stuff you read and hear from some Scottish people you'd feel like an English person would be shot on sight. I wish they would make UK one genuine country or properly separate the countries.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AS an Englishman who has lived and worked both in Scotland (Perthshire,Crief) AND the republic of Ireland (Westmeath, Mullingar)
    I have to be honest and say in both places I came across quite a lot of anti Englishness, but, most of the time I got on great with my Scots and Irish friends,

I remember in Scotland a lot of the anti English 'jibes' were based around us being lazy, or stupid, I only ever came across one agressive Scotsman and that was in a pub, he asked me the time I made the mistake of answering him, his reaction was to try to 'glass' me, luckily for ME he was drunk and I have good reflexes,
    unluckily for HIM I was with about six of my Scotish workmates, who,.... pointed out the 'error' he had just made, in such a way that I doubt he would ever forget,

When in Ireland a lot of 'good natured' banter would happen,
    But I do remember a work colleague (female) coming out with a classic line once when we were out for a drink one night, she, out of the blue said,
    "the problem with all you English bastards is you think we are all thick racists"!!
    I bit my tounge and didn't point out the irony.
    Another Irish guy who worked with me had just returned to Ireland after spending 15 years living in the UK, He was shocked and disgusted by the amount of 'verbal abuse' (his words) that I got all the time from my Irish workmates,
    I said that it didn't bother me as it was just friendly banter, HE said,
    "you THINK it's friendly, but I can tell you a lot of the time it isn't , 15 years I lived in England as an Irishman and I NEVER got called the things you do"
    He later returned to the UK because while he had lived here he had married an English girl and they had 2 kds, both Irish nationality, but they had English accents and as a result they were badly bullied in their Irish school, When he complained to the headmaster, he shrugged his shoulders and said "what did you expect"?
    I got on great with my close Irish friends and am still in touch with them almost 5 years after coming back home, a couple of them even visit now n then,
    So it's not fair to tar an entire nation based on a few individuals,.................. except for Americans of course,,,,

JOKE, it was a joke,
    :D
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will say for the first few months after moving to Glasgow, I used to get a torrid of abuse day in, day out. I've been here 3 years now, and i've not had anything for a long, long time.
    That being said...my accent has pretty much completely changed so it's hard for most people to recognise that i've from England.
    Just the odd person who really listens to what you say, sometimes ask where my 'accent is from'. But they never go sour when I tell them i'm English. The odd one that sometimes may give me a funny look...I just mention that both my extended families originated in Scotland, and they seem to become more friendly.
    I guess it comes down to the significantly patriotic attitude (which isn't a bad thing). The only thing I will say, is that i've never been exposed to so many people either stoned out their face, drunk in the middle of the day, or even so much crime than I have here in Glasgow. It's not something I really want to expose my young son to for to long. Thus we have made the decision to move on...most likely me taking my Scottish fiancé to England and return 'home' so to speak.
    Nothing against the Scottish...it's just i've found Glasgow in many cases, to be a rather unsavoury place to live.

I also must add, that I have NEVER seen the kind of abuse towards other people...compared to the kind of abuse English people in particular receive from the Scots. There are no two ways about it in this case...the Scots do come off as the much more aggressive 'neighbour'.
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Nitshill is a right shithole so I am hardly surprised by this. Most of my family from my mother's side are from the Nitshill and Priesthill areas I even I wouldn't want to live there.

And yes, you get thugs and arseholes everywhere not just in Scotland k-bola. I myself have been told a couple of times to "F*ck off back to Scotland", I was once even threatened with being beaten up by three chavs because I dared to go out with a Yorkshire lass. The funniest though was an old guy who told me I should sod off home and stop coming down to take their jobs as he was sick of us "Jocks, Paddys, n*gg*rs and Asian c*nts" taking over.

Hey hey hey, don't say that :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    tribade wrote: »
    Hahahahaha. Never lived here at all, have you.

97.99% of Scotland are white, 1.09% South Asian, 0.3% Chinese, 0.25% mixed race, 0.16% Black and the rest "other".

I'd say Scotland is pretty much "very white". In comparison to England where only 88.2% of people are white, and the UK as a whole at 92.1% white.

I assume some areas will be richer in diversity but it appears Scotland is very indigenous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Irish guy who worked with me had just returned to Ireland after spending 15 years living in the UK, He was shocked and disgusted by the amount of 'verbal abuse' (his words) that I got all the time from my Irish workmates,
    I said that it didn't bother me as it was just friendly banter, HE said,
    "you THINK it's friendly, but I can tell you a lot of the time it isn't , 15 years I lived in England as an Irishman and I NEVER got called the things you do"
    He later returned to the UK because while he had lived here he had married an English girl and they had 2 kds, both Irish nationality, but they had English accents and as a result they were badly bullied in their Irish school, When he complained to the headmaster, he shrugged his shoulders and said "what did you expect"?

Well that's completely the opposite from what I've experianced in my life, it has to be said. I have lived in Ireland have been schooled in both countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    97.99% of Scotland are white, 1.09% South Asian, 0.3% Chinese, 0.25% mixed race, 0.16% Black and the rest "other".

I'd say Scotland is pretty much "very white". In comparison to England where only 88.2% of people are white, and the UK as a whole at 92.1% white.

Those figures are well out of date now.