Options

Is anyone here a believer in the Paranormal?

Comments

• Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm a believer in the paranormal. Had a few weird experiences that I don't seem to be able to explain. Before Christmas I was very ill with anxiety, one day I was in the lift at the local shopping centre on my own and it stank of cigarette smoke. Naturally I assumed someone had been smoking in there before me, but then I went into a shop. I was standing right at the back near the changing room and I could smell really strong cigarette smoke again, now bare in mind I was a long way from the doors and staff can't smoke in shops anymore. So I found this weird. The following day I was in my mum's car and smelt it again, she couldn't smell it, but the smell was overpowering. Neither of us are smokers, and we couldn't work out where it was coming from, we were driving along the road at the time!

Afterwards I was told it could be a sign from someone in spirit, and then the penny dropped. My late grandmother was a heavy smoker and smoked all her life, she did stink of cigarettes. I think she may have been with me at that time because it was when my anxiety was at its worst.

So based on a smell that no one else could detect it must have been a ghost? That is a huge leap in 'logic'!
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppysocks wrote: »
    How do you know ?

I don't 'know' 100% but it is what I think based on the lack of evidence for anything else.
  • Options
    PoppysocksPoppysocks Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    But you don't have evidence they just disappear either. Thoughts and feeling are not solid and tangible, so in that case where are they when we've alive, you still can't see them.

I just find it absolutely fascinating the whole thing :)
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Open minded does not include believing things exist which we don't know to be true either. You can be open to the possibility of said things existing but as soon as you actually believe they do you are no longer open minded on the subject. And surely if you're truly open minded you should be approaching a subject with a neutral perspective rather than a positive one?

That's the way I look at it. Being open minded is about being open to all kinds of possibilities and being willing to change one's mind as new evidence presents itself. It's not about believing in something for which there is no evidence and/or believing that some evidence will eventually be found etc.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    angustay wrote: »
    I could give hundreds but not from the government controlled mainstream media. However Climate change is a good example and has been mentioned in the mainstream media.

please feel free to give just one.
    angustay wrote: »

Climate change science is divided to a degree - however there a only a handful of scientists if that, that actually fundamentally disagree with the theory behind the science. Most of the sceptical scientists argue about the way the data is collected and presented and then used in policy.

Being a bit of a an AGW sceptic myself this is something i have looked into quite closely.. unfortunately all the main scientific organisations concur with the findings as reported in the IPCC report.

There is a list somewhere floating about of around 600 scientists who have shown some disagreement with some of the findings but very few of them disagree with the fundamental science behind the theory.

No matter how generous you are with the statistics in no way can the AGW issue be held as an example of 'thousands of scientists' holding a different viewpoint
  • Options
    vikta_vondoomvikta_vondoom Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Anyone here believe in reptilians?
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    Experiences that often appear paranormal to those having them more often than not have *normal* explanations. :) Having said that, in my experience those normal explanations are often rejected in favour of the paranormal for some reason.

I think that since the dawn of time human nature has been pre-disposed to attribute some unexplained phenomena to the paranormal or supernatural.. even in these times some people seem more eager to automatically use the paranormal or supernatural as an explanation rather than investigate a little for other more orthodox answers..

To be honest as long as they are not doing any harm it doesn't bother me and i would be pretty excited if something did prove to be of paranormal significance!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that since the dawn of time human nature has been pre-disposed to attribute some unexplained phenomena to the paranormal or supernatural.. even in these times some people seem more eager to automatically use the paranormal or supernatural as an explanation rather than investigate a little for other more orthodox answers..

To be honest as long as they are not doing any harm it doesn't bother me and i would be pretty excited if something did prove to be of paranormal significance!

Same here. It would be brilliant... Well, actually that depends, doesn't it, but it would be very, very interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. It would be brilliant... Well, actually that depends, doesn't it, but it would be very, very interesting.

It would indeed be fascinating.

Don't go holding your breath though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would indeed be fascinating.

Don't go holding your breath though.

Nah, you're right. Logic suggests that we would've had some evidence by now, even if only a small proportion of paranormal claims were true.
  • Options
    wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone here believe in reptilians?

Wow that's weird !

I have a snake of medium length !!

I really do >
  • Options
    wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrote:
    It's probably not a good time to now say that my auntie is in fact a Medium,!

Wow another medium in our midst .

I'm pretty sure that two mediums equal a mode or is that being mean ??

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, you're right. Logic suggests that we would've had some evidence by now, even if only a small proportion of paranormal claims were true.

Plus you might suffer from hallucinations brought on by oxygen deprivation :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plus you might suffer from hallucinations brought on by oxygen deprivation :)

And that might lead to religiously flavoured visions... :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you don't have evidence they just disappear either. Thoughts and feeling are not solid and tangible, so in that case where are they when we've alive, you still can't see them.

I just find it absolutely fascinating the whole thing :)

From your viewpoint i can see how that is fascinating.

...however im sorry i just dont think that makes any sense. Its almost like me saying, where do my words go after ive spoken them? They cant just die, they must float about in the air somewhere.

Theres just no logic in what your saying. The brain dies, thats whats holding our thoughts. Like a vmemory on a PC, just way way more complicated lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that might lead to religiously flavoured visions... :eek:

We used to do that thing as kids where you would make each other pass out :o

I think I saw Odin once :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very creative Stiffy. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ataraxia wrote: »
    From your viewpoint i can see how that is fascinating.

...however im sorry i just dont think that makes any sense. Its almost like me saying, where do my words go after ive spoken them? They cant just die, they must float about in the air somewhere.

Theres just no logic in what your saying. The brain dies, thats whats holding our thoughts. Like a vmemory on a PC, just way way more complicated lol.

I know what you mean, I probably don't explain it very well because I don't really know how to. Words are formed in your voicebox aren't they, just a series of sounds that actually do disappear (or maybe they hang around somewhere, I don't really know :eek:) but where are the thoughts that originate to form the words. You can't cut open a brain and see thoughts can you?

I can't really explain it any better than that, sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the way has anyone looked at the site www.cfpf.org.uk ?

I always find it very interesting and will maybe answer some questions ...

will check it out :D
    They don't go anywhere. They just cease to exist when you die.

how do you know that? you have no evidence to prove that, just as I have no physical evidence of the existance of aliens and ghosts!
    :rolleyes:
    wsmansem wrote: »
    Wow another medium in our midst .

I'm pretty sure that two mediums equal a mode or is that being mean ??

:)

very good :p
    she's not a poster on here though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiorina161 wrote: »
    how do you know that? you have no evidence to prove that, just as I have no physical evidence of the existance of aliens and ghosts!

Do you believe in everything that can't be proven not to exist?
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiorina161 wrote: »
    will check it out :D

very good :p
    she's not a poster on here though!

But he does not have to. It is up to you to prove that there is! That is how things work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean, I probably don't explain it very well because I don't really know how to. Words are formed in your voicebox aren't they, just a series of sounds that actually do disappear (or maybe they hang around somewhere, I don't really know :eek:) but where are the thoughts that originate to form the words. You can't cut open a brain and see thoughts can you?

I can't really explain it any better than that, sorry.

You can't see thoughts by opening someone's head up but we do know that thoughts are a product of the brain. We're constantly getting more accurate with mapping brain activity and we can even influence thoughts and feeling with drugs and/or direct 'manipulation' of brain areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a difference between believing and knowing. I suppose if you find a certain subject intriguing then you are more likely to have an open mind.
    I do admit I would love there to be life after death for probably selfish reasons (would like to see my Mum again).
    I just can't fathom that this is all there is, then you die. What would be the point of living and learning just for everything to be destroyed by the death of your physical self?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between believing and knowing. I suppose if you find a certain subject intriguing then you are more likely to have an open mind.
    I do admit I would love there to be life after death for probably selfish reasons (would like to see my Mum again).
    I just can't fathom that this is all there is, then you die. What would be the point of living and learning just for everything to be destroyed by the death of your physical self?

Why does there have to be a point?
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's up to you to give meaning to your life. Wouldn't it be enough to have a brilliant time while you're here, maybe raise some great kids, and leave behind good memories with the people who loved you? If you want to aim higher, there's always that cure for cancer to go for, if you really want to leave a big impression...