Options

The All-New 'Upstairs, Downstairs'

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit apprehensive, I must admit. It's a nice idea to continue the story but the original was so wonderful that if this isn't up to par it'll look all the worse.

Also I think they've missed a trick not making the family a bit older and casting Simon Williams as the "master of the house", especially since Jean Marsh is there, it would be a nice throwback what with him being poor old James in the original!
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could hardly cast Simon Williams as the master of the house - his character committed suicide!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could hardly cast Simon Williams as the master of the house - his character committed suicide!

I know, I meant have him play a new character. Sorry for the confusion!
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 147,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't 'The Duchess of Duke street' the BBC's 'version' of 'Upstairs Downstairs' back in the 70's?:confused: I loved watching that as a kid.

The emphasis in the article makes it sound like an 'Emanuelle' remake!:o
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Wasn't 'The Duchess of Duke street' the BBC's 'version' of 'Upstairs Downstairs' back in the 70's?:confused: I loved watching that as a kid.

Not really, they were set at a similar time in part (from c1906 to just after WW1 I think) but apart from that quite different.

"Duke Street" was based on a true story and was more about a woman trying to make her way in business at that time - something that was still uncommon.

Upstairs Downstairs was a wider an exploration of life at the the time for those of wealth and power and their servants.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Not really, they were set at a similar time in part (from c1906 to just after WW1 I think) but apart from that quite different.

"Duke Street" was based on a true story and wasmore about a woman trying to make her way in business at that time - something that was still uncommon.

Upstairs Downstairs was a wider an exploration of life at the the time for those of wealth and power and their servants.

They did come from the same production team and writers who went to the BBC after "Upstairs, Downstairs" was cancelled. I think they then moved on to "Thomas and Sarah" after that.

G
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's being filmed in Wales. What has BBC Wales got that make everything be made there. Why make a show set in London in Wales ? If they want to make more things around the country make a welsh , Northern or Scottish show not have London filmed somewhere else
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    It's being filmed in Wales. What has BBC Wales got that make everything be made there. Why make a show set in London in Wales ? If they want to make more things around the country make a welsh , Northern or Scottish show not have London filmed somewhere else

1. i guess its cheaper to film there

2. the locations in wales are probably more authentic to london 100 years ago.

3. its no doubt easier to close a street in wales to film than it would be in london.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    She is in the very last scene.

Walking alone through the empty house (the family and staff had gone and the removal men had just finished their work) as various sound snippets from down the years are played. She walks through tjhe front door, closes it behind her and heads off down the street without looking back.

I often wondered what age some of the characters were meant to be.

It was mentioned last Saturday that James was 30 in 1912. Assuming his father was, say, 22 years older Richard would have been 70 when the series finished (1930). If Hudson was, say, 65 in 1930 (he wouldn't have been much older as, in that situation he'd have been able retire to the Southwold Estate at that point rather than go into business) this would make him about 40 when the series first started - and he'd have looked an old 40 - same with Mrs Bridges.

The most unbelievable one of all was Sir Geoffrey Dillon who must be 50 at the start but is still there in the end looking not a day older.

Let's put it down to poetic licence.

For me the Albert episode is one of my least favourite, thought it rather over acted.

I thought that was a lovely way to end the show. Quite poignant.

Not sure about a remake though.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Up/Down obviously had was hard to replicate, else it would have been done over years ago.

The actors were of a very high standard, especially the downstairs lot. And the multi-camera technique made it flow and increased realism, it seemed almost like you could walk into a scene.

I can't imagine the writers will have much freedom to make social comments in the new version.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as I'm already in love with Claire Foy I will be watching this, if only for her alone! :cool: She is moving up in the world, getting both this and a film, Season of the Witch, with Nicholas Cage! Great to see her talents being appreciated.

Tons and tons of potential here for Upstairs Downstairs. I just hope the scripts are decent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is everything remakes now. Couldn't they just do a new period drama ?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,638
    Forum Member
    Wonder how they'll film it. Studio sets don't seem to be used anymore. Also there stuck in the 1930's as upstairs ended in the 1920's. A show in the Edwardian era with upper class people seems to work much better

Interesting to see if there's enough of a class divide between up and downstairs in the 30s. The plus I assume is they have a diplomat and the rise of Hitler and appeasement will form part of the background.

Might have been more interesting to have pushed the series 30 years back towards Dickens rather than forward? But that would have been more difficult to make?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see if there's enough of a class divide between up and downstairs in the 30s. The plus I assume is they have a diplomat and the rise of Hitler and appeasement will form part of the background.

Once I heard it was being set in 1936 I realised immediately that this was to plunge it into the run-up to WW2. Someone will probably run off to the Spanish Civil War too.

Any kids will be evacuated.

G
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is curious. The Deep, a BBC Wales commission, was largely filmed in....Glasgow:eek:Perhaps there's no studio space left in Cardiff as Casualty is moving there soon and they're already doing Dr Who, Merlin and numerous other productions.
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will never be as good as You Rang M'Lord:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It is curious. The Deep, a BBC Wales commission, was largely filmed in....Glasgow:eek:Perhaps there's no studio space left in Cardiff as Casualty is moving there soon and they're already doing Dr Who, Merlin and numerous other productions.

They're all very mixed up. 55 Degrees North, set in Newcastle was a BBC Scotland commision and Judge John Deed, set in London was a BBC Northern Ireland commision.

Life On Mars was also BBC Wales I think.

G
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    It will never be as good as You Rang M'Lord:D

If you handn't put a :D there I'd have had to have come round and beat you to death with a piece of lead piping......

:D
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally commisioned for only 3 episodes it seems the BBC have learnt from the mistake they made with Sherlock (also only 3 episodes) and Upstairs, Downstairs will have at least another 6 episodes made and as sets are being constructed its hoped that another series will be made next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the BBC don't bring it back and ruiin it as they did with the remake of Auf Weidershen Pet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Nico Mirallegro (who played Newt in Hollyoaks) is joining the cast too...
    http://www.lastbroadcast.co.uk/drama/previews/v/14425-upstairs-downstairs-2010-cast-revealed.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pingu84 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Nico Mirallegro (who played Newt in Hollyoaks) is joining the cast too...
    http://www.lastbroadcast.co.uk/drama/previews/v/14425-upstairs-downstairs-2010-cast-revealed.html

I certainly noticed ;)

http://theworldfromhere.blogspot.com/2010/08/downstairs-totty-nico-mirallegro.html

G
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this but have to say Hudson is still the best character on the original so curious as to who will play the butler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this but have to say Hudson is still the best character on the original so curious as to who will play the butler.

Adrian Scarborough.

G