Options

The original 1969 Randall and Hopkirk; who remembers it?

Comments

• Options
    snotrageatersnotrageater Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The credits we all remember .
    So much better than the ones used now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DSYiVO3Omg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You obviously have no idea what constitutes a good programme.

The reason these 30 and 40 year old shows are still being repeated is because they are well made and entertaining and more fun than most of the modern dross that gets aired.

Not sure how anyone who watches Coronation Street or other soaps can question genuine classic tv ?

The reason they are still being repeated is that they are cheap TV. The acting is cronic, the storyline and whodunnit is so predictable and each episode is full of stereotypes.

Women were more often than not referred to as "the girl" and were only there to look good and - where the story required it - scream loudly.

I used to like R&H when it was first shown but I was VERY young then!!!

I can't believe you would waste your time looking up my previous posts to try to prove your point, I certainly can't be bothered to look up yours.

And BTW - I don't watch any "other soaps."

Also, Kenneth Cope was in Corrie, so what does that say about him??????????
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about R&H is that the acting is supposed to be slightly comic, by everyone but Annette Andre who was essentially the straight "man".

It's a stage comedy routine, a double-act. Brilliantly done.

Jeff is the exasperated one who is really a softy while Marty was the flighty slightly dim one, always getting Jeff into trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The thing about R&H is that the acting is supposed to be slightly comic, by everyone but Annette Andre who was essentially the straight "man".

It's a stage comedy routine, a double-act. Brilliantly done.

Jeff is the exasperated one who is really a softy while Marty was the flighty slightly dim one, always getting Jeff into trouble.

And that is what I liked about it when I was younger but tastes change.
  • Options
    bandersist2008bandersist2008 Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved R & H and am old enough to remember the first showings. Have been known to sneakily tune in to ITV4 to watch the repeats recently and still enjoy it.

I can't watch Kenneth Cope in anything now without being shocked at how old he (and I) have become... :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DB5 wrote: »
    Ah, R&H... The Saint...The Avengers... The Persuaders... The Champions... I'm old enough to have seen them all as a kid. What terrific memories they all hold. Of them all, though, R&H is probably my favourite. It holds up fantastically well on the DVD box set because of being shot on film and still has one of the greatest theme tunes/opening credits of any TV show.

Agree with that, DB5. I found I could take or leave the 'Baron'
    or the 'Champions' but RHd for me was the absolute compulsory on a friday at 7.30 [in our region].As the number in my username implies, i was 14 at the time. 'The Avengers [with Emma Peel] was another fav. This series wasn't ITC though but ABC. Even the opening titles alone were worth it I believe the Persuaders were well trailled in ITV new season promos in the run up to September 1971 when they started.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Wish they could make an action adventure like that these days. The whole family could watch and enjoy it. They always had a fight scene too which never happens these days in dramas.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are my favourite titles for My Partner The Ghost (R&H) US version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpJAuJLiUU
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember it, though from the 70s. I record and watch the odd episode on ITV 4 from time to time just to add some variety to my PVR recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DB5 wrote: »
    Ah, R&H... The Saint...The Avengers... The Persuaders... The Champions... I'm old enough to have seen them all as a kid.

Yep, I loved them all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason these 30 and 40 year old shows are still being repeated is because they are well made and entertaining and more fun than most of the modern dross that gets aired.

Yes, they are about the only programmes I watch from ITV2-4. I do watch some ITV 3 content and have just started dipping back into Ironside. ITV 2 I pretty much shun, although it is the most popular of the three. Probably an age thing. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    The reason they are still being repeated is that they are cheap TV. The acting is cronic, the storyline and whodunnit is so predictable and each episode is full of stereotypes.

Women were more often than not referred to as "the girl" and were only there to look good and - where the story required it - scream loudly.

I used to like R&H when it was first shown but I was VERY young then!!!

I can't believe you would waste your time looking up my previous posts to try to prove your point, I certainly can't be bothered to look up yours.

And BTW - I don't watch any "other soaps."

Also, Kenneth Cope was in Corrie, so what does that say about him??????????

Yeah, but they did it brilliantly. You don't see that level of looking good and screaming these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason they are still being repeated is that they are cheap TV.?

They are no cheaper to repeat than any other vintage tv repeat :rolleyes:

So what if women are referred to as "the girl".

Clearly you are influenced by some deeper personal issues regarding how women were portrayed.

So what if Kenneth Cope was in Corrie - he's an actor.
    He was in Brookside aswell:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are my favourite titles for My Partner The Ghost (R&H) US version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IpJAuJLiUU

I've never understood why the US retitled it. Did their broadcasters assume all their viewers were thick and not the least bit curious to find out the meaning of the title?
    If this were the case "Ironside" would've been "Fat Cripple Fights Crime".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are no cheaper to repeat than any other vintage tv repeat :rolleyes:

So what if women are referred to as "the girl".

Clearly you are influenced by some deeper personal issues regarding how women were portrayed.

So what if Kenneth Cope was in Corrie - he's an actor.
    He was in Brookside aswell:rolleyes:

1) My point is ALL vintage TV is cheap TV. Much cheaper than producing new programmes.:rolleyes:

2) "Clearly you are influenced by some deeper personal issues regarding how women were portrayed" :yawn::yawn::yawn:

3) It was YOU who slated Corrie. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,216
    Forum Member
    Was Man In A Suitcase made by same people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »

Yes Pete ITC also made The Baron & Gideons Way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, both made by ITC. MIS was a replacement for Danger Man, also made by ITC.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Pete ITC also made The Baron & Gideons Way

It's a shame Gideon's Way didn't have the long shelf life of other ITC shows. This is probably down to it being in black and white and also using a realistic, then-contemporary setting, both of which make it look more dated than it really is.
    The stories and performances are excellent and the visual impression is more that of a documentary than a drama. The police techniques on show make me wonder how they ever caught anyone!
    It also features the seemingly obligatory appearance of Donald Sutherland.:)
    It has never been repeated to my knowledge and DVD is the only way to see it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    I've never understood why the US retitled it. Did their broadcasters assume all their viewers were thick and not the least bit curious to find out the meaning of the title?
    If this were the case "Ironside" would've been "Fat Cripple Fights Crime".
    Back then and for many years afterwards it was generally accepted by Brits and the US tv industry that American viewers were somewhat backward compared to the UK viewers .
    To be fair , their title for R&H aswell as the credits they got (same as our original ones) were both better and did explain the premise of the show for new viewers .
    US viewers were thought to be lazy and dumb.
    You only have to hear Gerry Anderson and others who worked for ITC talk about the instructions they often received from ITC New York to see how low their opinion was of their own viewers.
    1) My point is ALL vintage TV is cheap TV. Much cheaper than producing new programmes.:rolleyes:

3) It was YOU who slated Corrie. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What is the relevance to the cost of showing R&H?
    Repeating vintage tv is cheaper than new programmes , but only for non mainstream channels which is why they rarely show anything new as new programmes stay on the main channels that cover their costs with advertising rates far higher than ITV4:confused::rolleyes:

I didn't slate Corrie - I slated its viewers .
    This is also irrelevant .

A couple of clicks to see what forum members regular viewing is can be useful as to why they post such odd opinions.
    As you can see this is generally an appreciation for the show which stands up better than any of todays modern rubbish ever will and now we know you don't like it anymore you can go and talk about Corrie

ITC was a subsidiary of ATV created to sell ATV shows internationally (although it was not known as ITC from the start).
    To this end , ITC produced all its shows on film which meant they could be sold to any country , even the ones who's broadcast standard was different to the UK which prevented sales of taped programmes as conversion technology was unavailable at the time.
    Robin Hood with Richard Greene was its first series and it carried on with this historical stuff for a few years.
    Along the way Gerry Anderson was paid to make shows for ITC which he did for about 16 years.

Their first action series had the half hour Danger Man episodes in 1960 but the shorter slot meant less interest from the US.
    ITC hit the big time in 1962 with The Saint.

When Roger Moore signed for the show he believed it to be for half hour shows and didn't realise they would be 1 hour until close to filming.
    Roger Moore was unsuccessful in buying the rights to The Saint books a couple of years previous but Bob Baker pulled it off and with Moore in the role the show was a massive worldwide hit , mainly down to the high quality stories which were all based on Charteris books .

One stipulation was that no new stories were to be done until all the original stories had been filmed.

ITC searched for another Saint type hit but it never came.
    Despite Danger Man being reformatted into the hour long series it was never going to be as popular as Simon Templar.

The Baron and Man In A Suitcase followed but neither did especially well.

After The Baron , the production team split up and went off to do separate things for ITC.

Monty Berman and Co did The Champions, Department S , Randall etc but Bob Baker formed a company with Roger Moore to take The Saint into colour.

Unfortunately a lot of the colour Saint episodes were written by the regular ITC hacks who could not reach the level of Charteris so many episodes were very weak.

The exciting premise of the other ITC shows meant that stories could go a lot further than the regular straight action man type series could - and it paid off - in the long term at least.

ITC spent a fortune on what could have been the ultimate action man series The Persuaders .
    Real locations instead of back projection pushed up the cost .
    Unfortunately the all important US success for that series never happened and while it was popular everywhere else the US failure cost a lot.

So Lew Grade curtailed budgets and in a fatal mistake still showing itself today he slashed filming costs for his next action shows by making them on 16mm instead of the cinema quality 35mm that had been used up to that point.

Compare Jason King to Department S and look at The Protectors and The Adventurer to see the washed out 16mm inferiority.

The market was changing and the action man was on the wane so apart from The Zoo Gang and Space 1999 ITC as it was slowed down .
    Space 1999 was so costly they had to co-finance it with Italian tv .

The last gasp action show , again in cahoots with Italian tv was the very mediocre Return of the Saint but Ogilvy could not live up to Roger Moore.

Hammer House of Horror and Shillingbury Tales were ITC's last series before the parent company of ATV was forced to change its structure and become Central .
    Lew grade was forced out and he took ITC and the ATV library with him.

Ironically , after ITC was bought and sold several times over the years it ended up sort of back home with ITV when Carlton bought it in the late 90's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has never been repeated to my knowledge and DVD is the only way to see it now.

Slightly off topic
    Another one I seem remember Herbert Lom in The Human Jungle sadly Canal + refuse to issue it on DVD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame Gideon's Way didn't have the long shelf life of other ITC shows. This is probably down to it being in black and white and also using a realistic, then-contemporary setting, both of which make it look more dated than it really is.
    The stories and performances are excellent and the visual impression is more that of a documentary than a drama. The police techniques on show make me wonder how they ever caught anyone!
    It also features the seemingly obligatory appearance of Donald Sutherland.:)

Gideons Way definitely was repeated but I've not seen any listings for it after ITV went into colour.
    Even Bravo never showed it although it was aired in Australia ad infinitum like most other ITC shows which is where I got my recordings in the early 90's.

As a time capsule of the era in which it was made its possibly the most deserved of a repeat as the stories stand up today and when you think about what Dock Green and Z-Cars were doing at that time GW not being aired is criminal.

The production stands up and the only problem is being in B&W but even more than the B&W Saint I think a BBC4 airing for Gideons Way would open the eyes for a good many viewers .

I was certainly surprised when I first saw my recordings all those years ago.

The great John Gregson , interesting stories , a guest star list to die for and another fab Edwin Astley theme tune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic
    Another one I seem remember Herbert Lom in The Human Jungle sadly Canal + refuse to issue it on DVD

It's a real shame that a massive backlog of classic British tv and films from what was Thorn EMI is now owned by the French who are clueless about exploiting it .

They have finally got round to doing decent dvd's of The Avengers but have missed the trick of a Bluray release.

The Human Jungle is likely to appear at some point but it would not be unusual for it to be from another country.

Canal+ bought out Optimum in order to release their own material in the UK rather than licence it out as they always have done before , but the results so far have not been impressive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The great John Gregson , interesting stories , a guest star list to die for and another fab Edwin Astley theme tune.

Edwin Astley was " the daddy" of the theme tunes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame that a massive backlog of classic British tv and films from what was Thorn EMI is now owned by the French who are clueless about exploiting it .

They have finally got round to doing decent dvd's of The Avengers but have missed the trick of a Bluray release.

The Human Jungle is likely to appear at some point but it would not be unusual for it to be from another country.

Canal+ bought out Optimum in order to release their own material in the UK rather than licence it out as they always have done before , but the result so far have not been impressive

I concur with your comments Canal also have got the rights to some of the carry on films that were not made by The Rank library (the films made by Anglo - Algamated)