Options

The Bill. Discuss the AXE here.

Comments

• Options
    R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattMckay wrote: »
    They could have had the whole end credits without anyone talking over it, as it has very close sound to the old theme!!

Why talk over it, when its the very last one, hardly continues the ' 'respect' ending. Stupid woman. Did this happen on ITV1 HD?

No, the ITV HD station played out a clean feed of the theme - so I could hear the 'nod' they gave to the old theme in the re-working and it was rather good to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    I just wished they had sorted out Max before they finished the show. He needed to be taken down a peg or two.. Lovely endng with the walk around the 'nick'. In an interview earlier tonight Simon Rouse said that it got to him when he filmed his speech. I wasvery good I didn't blub, thought I might, probably would have done if Callum had been shot, him and Smiffy at the end was a nice touch:cry:

you could tell it did as he seemed to be nearly crying when saying the speech. :(
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wished they had sorted out Max before they finished the show. He needed to be taken down a peg or two.. Lovely endng with the walk around the 'nick'. In an interview earlier tonight Simon Rouse said that it got to him when he filmed his speech. I wasvery good I didn't blub, thought I might, probably would have done if Callum had been shot, him and Smiffy at the end was a nice touch:cry:

Agreed, I wish that they had got rid of the junkie sleazeball a few weeks ago, but when did Sgt Stone get the personality transplant?
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Agreed, I wish that they had got rid of the junkie sleazeball a few weeks ago, but when did Sgt Stone get the personality transplant?

but there was always something about Stone, that I just couldn;t help but like;);)
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    My son was born the same year as The Bill started and when he was old enough to watch it he could say the 'arrest' statement better than some of the actors. He still watched it until the end tonight. Aw bless
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R300 wrote: »
    No, the ITV HD station played out a clean feed of the theme - so I could hear the 'nod' they gave to the old theme in the re-working and it was rather good to be honest.

I'm glad of the ITV HD clean feed the ending music was rather nice, should have have had this as it's normal end theme tune.

I wonder what the figures will be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the documentary...a massive letdown. They briefly spoke to Trudie Goodwin and Graham Cole, showed a few blink and you'll miss them old clips, and all the rest of it has been very tedious behind the scenes stuff from the last ep.

:(
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How bizarre is it that ITV is playing a show promoting all the qualities of a show they have dumped. If they hadn't tinkered with it years ago, and made it into a soap around the lives of the various cops, it would still have life in it as a gritty UK-based cop show...
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JG600 wrote: »
    Watching the documentary...a massive letdown. They briefly spoke to Trudie Goodwin and Graham Cole, showed a few blink and you'll miss them old clips, and all the rest of it has been very tedious behind the scenes stuff from the last ep.

:(

I'm quite enjoying the doc, for old eps you can go back to UK Gold, though i'd love to buy DVD with every episode on. Especially some of the real old eps

I didn't realise some of the thigns you did to make the documentary, like the fact that whilst on location filming they have real officers out re-assuring that it is just a tv show. Nice of the MET to buy some of the equipment as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does ITV think it has shot itself in the foot by cancelling The Bill???
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »

I doubt it.

It's very easy to become nostalgic at what had become a glorified soap opera that looked increasingly poor against modern police and crime based shows.
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are they replacing it with? More shows with Amanda Holden and Piers Morgan? :rolleyes:

Gutted it's gone, I was hoping Channel Five would pick it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I doubt it.

It's very easy to become nostalgic at what had become a glorified soap opera that looked increasingly poor against modern police and crime based shows.

I think it's better than Law and Order: UK and the three-parters which they will put on will no doubt be a very pale imitation - bad writing, bad direction... ITV's recent attempts at drama have failed quite dismally...
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »

I think it's certainly regretting moving it to 9pm. It could have easily made its recent transition to more gritty storylines and still stayed at 8pm - after all it has reinvented itself many times before.
  • Options
    Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member

which shows are those in this country :confused:
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JG600 wrote: »
    Watched the last ten minutes and have to admit to having a slight blub. I havent watched The Bill for about five years, having found the entire Gabriel Kent saga completely intolerable, but the show was a big part of my life for about five years before that and I'm also old enough to remember the glory days of Burnside, Tosh, Dashwood, Galloway, Carver et al.

It'll be weird it not being around any more.

It was a great show in the 90s,very watchable.

I much preferred the original 30 minute episodes,each with a self contained story.

Turning it into a filmic thing reminds me of how they killed off Brookside : a once great series that ended up being ruined for it's last two or three years.
  • Options
    FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I watched the last two episodes back to back and thought they were excellent, if a little graphic in places, the last 5 minutes was fantastic and bought a tear to my eye!

I missed the "walking feet" last night but just watched again, so have now seen it, I was sat thinking last night, I'm sure I read they were going to be shown!

Also, was it me or was Nate missing? Did he leave and I missed it?
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it.

Thas a subjective point of view, the bill with the right scripts was still top notch , the scheduling finally killed it before it was moved all over the place on ITV it was pulling in fair figures,when it got moved around the figures fell dramatically why? because people could not keep up with when it was on.

Myself i do not think it looked poor against any modern police drama(do we make many of those in the uk? mostly bought in us stuff) again subjective,at its best it was still fast paced and grittty.

Goodness knows why they could not have found it a regular slot and carried on,more reality cr-p on the way i suppose.:(

A stll decent series killed off by executives who had no idea what they were doing schedule wise.:(
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Too many Hollyoaks has-beens, not enough tough, grumpy middled aged coppers (Tosh Lines, Roach, Burnside) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    It had to go, I never managed to sit through an entire episode without turning over! (after numerous attempts)
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onlymeuk wrote: »
    It had to go, I never managed to sit through an entire episode without turning over! (after numerous attempts)

Fair enough point i feel the same way about all the soaps and reality shows that now sem to grace ITVS schedule these days.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm remember The Bill, although not the one off drama 'Woodentop' that started it, from when it first started as series of about 12-13 episodes for an hour. At the time I remember an article in one newspaper claiming it was going to be a British version of 'Hill Street Blues'. It was a bit more realistic and edgy. It then went to the half hour episodes, twice a week, in the late 80's it still was decent tv. It focused on the police, and not the private lives of the police.

By the beginning of the 2000's it moved into soap mode and I lost interest. I didn't pick up on it again until about 3 year ago, once they seemed to have dumped the soap side of it, and it became good tv again, that we all watched as a family.

The decision to move it to a 9:00pm slot all but condemned it, and STV dropping didn't help. There was no need to kill it off. It could still have existed as a decent drama in its original state, 12-15 hour long episodes a year.

I watched the last episode last night and felt quite sad at the end. The Bill was there when I left school, it was there as i went through uni, it was there when I got married and had kids of my own who watched it. It's a shame.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    I think it's certainly regretting moving it to 9pm. It could have easily made its recent transition to more gritty storylines and still stayed at 8pm - after all it has reinvented itself many times before.

It didn't need 'more gritty storylines'.

The ones in the 80s and 90s were gritty enough, and realistic. BBC did the same with Casualty. They took series which those in the professions said reflected the life and made them them into over dramatic soap operas.

They do this to 'chase ratings' but the kind of people who go for this tend to be transient in the viewing habits so unless the writers keep upping the stakes with more and more 'spectacular' stories these viewers move on. The original viewers have probably gone anyway, put off by the loss of the original ethos.

Seem to recall that in the original pilot Peter Dean played (in the loosest sense of the role with his acting:rolleyes:) the 'kindly Sarge' role that Eric Richards made his own. Jim Carver was the rookie cop on his first day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    FreddieP wrote: »
    Also, was it me or was Nate missing? Did he leave and I missed it?
    No, you didn't. Millie and Sally also left without any announcement being made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd love to buy DVD with every episode on.

There's a boxset with series one - three available and series four has been released as two individual volumes so far. Hopefully they will continue to bring out more episodes.