Options

Who would've thought? HAGUE???

Comments

• Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jswift909 wrote: »
    There are many people who also believe in Gay rights that aren't even Gay.
    Exactly - doesn't that tell you something?

G
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    Yes, I opted to follow it. I gave them an earful back for the X Factor presumptions too. Again, not the same thing.

Do I have to consult the 'gay community' every time I am asked for an opinion, just in case I'm not 'on message'?

G

I hope not. None of the gays I know seem to identify themselves with the LBGT community, nor are they always 'on message'. They are just people, capable of independent thought. Some of my habits are more gay than theirs. I have seem Mama Mia, watch the X factor (with my 14 yr old daugher) though I tried and failed to watch 'Priscilla'... Hague can be whatever he wants to be as far as I'm concerned. I doubt there is anything in this, but then I was aghast when my MP, Mr Blunt, came out. Not with horror, just utter amazement. If this Chris Myers guy was 14, there'd be a story, otherwise, STFU, people, and leave them to it.
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - doesn't that tell you something?

G

It tells me I was right --- otherwise why do you think I mentioned it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_community

The gay community, or LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community, is a loosely defined grouping of LGBT and LGBT-supportive people, organizations and subcultures, united by a common culture and civil rights movements. These communities generally celebrate pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality. LGBT activists and sociologists see LGBT community-building as an antidote to heterosexism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, sex-negativity, and conformist pressures thought to be exist in the larger society. The term gay pride is used to express the LGBT community's identity and collective strength. The LGBT community is diverse in political affiliation. Not all LGBT individuals consider themselves part of an LGBT community.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,185
    Forum Member
    Nothing surprises me anymore, but with his gorgeous wife?

If he doesn't want her, I'm sure theirs plenty who do!

She was way out of his league, don't know why she went with him in the first place.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The aura of smugness that Hague displays and the slightly mocking way he speaks always makes me want to punch him.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I understand that. When I was younger I was constantly asking people what they did for a living - and they came from every walk of life, from all social classes, including Lords.

But what unites us all is a feeling of unfairness and mistreatment, oppression and repression of our whole community, whether it is simply attitudes, or legal discrimination, on a global scale. We can come together as a 'community' on those issues --- that is what PRIDE was all about, and it's now global.

You could say there is no Gay community, no Black community, no Asian community, no Muslim community, but that would be wrong. We are all different, but some things unite us. Even if you don't get involved actively, you are still someone who believes in 'some' of the goals of the community. It's a loose association - like most communities.

People have a desire to belong to things - it's instinctive.

Gay people come together at different times for various reasons, but it is a fairly fluid process and not set in stone. Certainly most gay people will believe they should be treated equally with straight people, so there are strands of common purpose.

However, we are gay because of our genes but we are all brought up differently and have our own life experiences and thoughts.

Gay people have been under all sorts of pressures to conform to "the norm" and so I don't condemn anyone who has felt they had to hide their sexuality to get on in life, or have made the wrong decisions. Life isn't easy. Thankfully we are moving to a stage in this country where people feel more comfortable about their sexuality - and that is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_community

The gay community, or LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community, is a loosely defined grouping of LGBT and LGBT-supportive people, organizations and subcultures, united by a common culture and civil rights movements. These communities generally celebrate pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality. LGBT activists and sociologists see LGBT community-building as an antidote to heterosexism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, sex-negativity, and conformist pressures thought to be exist in the larger society. The term gay pride is used to express the LGBT community's identity and collective strength. The LGBT community is diverse in political affiliation. Not all LGBT individuals consider themselves part of an LGBT community.
    A quote from Wikipedia won't change anyone's views and rather misses the point I am afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It tells me I was right --- otherwise why do you think I mentioned it. :rolleyes:

It tells me nothing of the sort. :rolleyes:

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    A quote from Wikipedia won't change anyone's views and rather misses the point I am afraid.

And even it says 'loosely defined'.

I have very little in common with a lesbian or a transexual.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Gay people come together at different times for various reasons, but it is a fairly fluid process and not set in stone. Certainly most gay people will believe they should be treated equally with straight people, so there are strands of common purpose.

However, we are gay because of our genes but we are all brought up differently and have our own life experiences and thoughts.

Gay people have been under all sorts of pressures to conform to "the norm" and so I don't condemn anyone who has felt they had to hide their sexuality to get on in life, or have made the wrong decisions. Life isn't easy. Thankfully we are moving to a stage in this country where people feel more comfortable about their sexuality - and that is a wonderful thing.

I agree. Although I didn't realise there were any Gay people in 'East Yorkshire' :p Half of me is from Lancashire and half from Cornwall. A mongrel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »

I'm pointing out what I said and what wiki says -- but you can look around the web and compare descriptions. What I said and what wiki say are the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It tells me nothing of the sort. :rolleyes:

G

:rolleyes:

:eek:
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Although I didn't realise there were any Gay people in 'East Yorkshire' :p Half of me is from Lancashire and half from Cornwall. A mongrel.

A bit of hot pot and pasty then :D

You would be surprised how many gay people live north of Watford ;)

I'm not actually from East Yorkshire originally; I'm from north of the border :) They have gay people there too :eek:

I hope this is not too shocking. I know you are still having to come to terms with the fact that there are quite a few Gay Tories around; and more coming out the closet by the day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And even it says 'loosely defined'.

I have very little in common with a lesbian or a transexual.

G
    Post #40 "It's a loose association" - jswift909 (c) 2010 :D

I said that.

You have lots in common with Lesbians and Transexuals - a common belief in equality for all. Or are you a misogynist, Lesbian and Transexual-hating person? Surely the struggle is one of equal rights for people whose sexuality is not heterosexual, and that includes all LGBT people. And we are stronger together. You are being divisive and I've met very few Gay people with that opinion. We must move in different circles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have lots in common with Lesbians and Transexuals - a common belief in equality for all. Or are you a misogynist, Lesbian and Transexual-hating person? .

You see this is where we will seriously fall out if you continue with this attitude.

Apparently it is your way or the highway and you are quite fine at putting words in people's mouths if they don't tow what you see as 'the party line'.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see this is where we will seriously fall out if you continue with this attitude.

Apparently it is your way or the highway and you are quite fine at putting words in people's mouths if they don't tow what you see as 'the party line'.

G

Perhaps you attitude will change when you fill up "gayblogsetc" - whatever the "setc" means :D

I can point you to a list if you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you attitude will change when you fill up "gayblogsetc" - whatever the "setc" means :D

I have no idea what you're on now.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what you're on now.

G

http://twitter.com/cobaltmale/gayblogsetc

You can take from my "lgbt" list at:

http://twitter.com/jonathan_swift/lists
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh yes, because that's SO relevant to the discussion.

I'm seriously considering the alert button.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, because that's SO relevant to the discussion.

I'm seriously considering the alert button.

G

We were discussing attitudes and how we all have different ones, even within the Gay community, but that what is a common thread is the working together to fight injustice and unfairness.

I'm failing to see why you are being so hostile. However, I guess that goes to prove we have different opinions.

If you want to complain to the moderators about anything that I've said on here please do it - you have my full approval. I don't believe that I have broken ANY forum rules.

You advertise your twitter account on the "services" part. I don't, but I was willing to share my list with you, in the process, revealing my twitter account to all. That is hardly hostile on my part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were discussing attitudes and how we all have different ones, even within the Gay community, but that what is a common thread is the working together to fight injustice and unfairness..

This is all merely your perception - that doesn't make it fact. You actually don't even seem to be aware that you're of a minority opinion among the gays on this thread, ironically.

G
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the struggle is one of equal rights for people whose sexuality is not heterosexual, and that includes all LGBT people. And we are stronger together. You are being divisive ...

That reads dangerously like the NAMBLA claims whereby equal rights for any non-hetero sexuality should be supported by all non-heterosexuals, and that any attempt to distinguish between non-hetero sexualities is divisive.
  • Options
    makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Honest question for you 'Swifty: Are you happy as a gay man?

Back on topic, I almost hope that Billy Hague is gay tbh. If only because it'll be amusing to see the Left try and make political capital over this whilst trying not to sound homophobic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    That reads dangerously like the NAMBLA claims whereby equal rights for any non-hetero sexuality should be supported by all non-heterosexuals, and that any attempt to distinguish between non-hetero sexualities is divisive.

Thank you.

G