Options

Applauding when the plane lands

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On my last holiday, everyone started applauding when the plane landed, and that was on both trips!

I have to say that I've only experienced this once before, and that was on a really really heavy landing that the pilot clearly did well to execute.

However, applauding a bog-standard landing? No turbulence or anything, no emergencies, nothing.

Is it just me who finds this unusual?

Comments

• Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I'm a nervous flyer.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just be thankfull they weren't tumbling out, vomiting and kissing the tarmac! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Yeah, is unusual, hadn't experienced it since the 1980s, however for first time flew Ryan Air the other week and on both outbound and inbound there was a round of applause - very strange.
  • Options
    snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryanair flights usually play music lol
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen this very occasionally.... I think the chances of it happening are directly proportional to the amount of 'merry' people on board. Usually most of the plane is sober so everyone is pretty blase upon landing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, is unusual, hadn't experienced it since the 1980s, however for first time flew Ryan Air the other week and on both outbound and inbound there was a round of applause - very strange.

They were probably shitting themselves beforehand due to Learys continuous cost cutting ideas :p
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe the passengers thought O'Leary had started his new rounds of costcutting already

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/transport-news/Michael-O39Leary-call-to-scrap.6513610.jp

O'Leary claimed yesterday the second pilot serves no purpose and could be replaced by a stewardess trained to land planes in an emergency
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I was on a flight from Toronto to Manchester in 1999 which was delayed for 7 hours on the tarmac, lets just say when we landed in Manchester there wasnt much to applaud. Pretty much everyone tried to get off at once. Took nearly 2 hours to get everyone off and onto the buses to take us to baggage. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Sounds like they were happy to have survived :)

I experienced this once, but that was after an emergency landing in Detroit many years ago. Our pilot informed us that he had no indication the front wheel was locked, and therefore had to assume that it was not and that we would be declaring an emergency. Landing went OK but we had fire engines and emergency vehicles chasing us down the runway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose they clap when they land safely as they'll of not been in any position to boo if they hadn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    invisible post bump
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    I was on a flight from Toronto to Manchester in 1999 which was delayed for 7 hours on the tarmac, lets just say when we landed in Manchester there wasnt much to applaud. Pretty much everyone tried to get off at once. Took nearly 2 hours to get everyone off and onto the buses to take us to baggage. :o

Holy crap - thats about 14 hours stuck in those cramped seats. Did they feed you and give you free alcohol?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryanair flights usually play music lol

Do you have to pay to listen?
  • Options
    Phil-is-tynePhil-is-tyne Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Its better than a load of Woots and Yeahs from our American cousins
  • Options
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Holy crap - thats about 14 hours stuck in those cramped seats. Did they feed you and give you free alcohol?

Yeah they fed us, our flight was due to depart at 10.30pm, didnt set off until 5am. I was only 12 then so no alcohol involved. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its better than a load of Woots and Yeahs from our American cousins

Nah they dont really do that - at least not anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was something like 4pm when we got back to Manchester, and got back home for 9pm, spent the next 2 days asleep. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah they dont really do that - at least not anymore.

This is true.

Americans in planes nowadays mostly shout "Die raghead die!" :p

Closely followed by "What do you mean it was British?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    It was something like 4pm when we got back to Manchester, and got back home for 9pm, spent the next 2 days asleep. :p

Did you get compensation? Did they give you a reason for the 7 hour delay?
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my last holiday, everyone started applauding when the plane landed, and that was on both trips!

I have to say that I've only experienced this once before, and that was on a really really heavy landing that the pilot clearly did well to execute.

However, applauding a bog-standard landing? No turbulence or anything, no emergencies, nothing.

Is it just me who finds this unusual?

you have no wings to fly and not designed to fly yet you have just left the earth surface up 35,000 feet in a machine with potentially over 500 other people, moseying along at oh over 500mph! and then set back down on another part of the earth which really would have taken you a lifetime to get to had you walked, I think that deserves a ****ing clap!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    you have no wings to fly and not designed to fly yet you have just left the earth surface up 35,000 feet in a machine with potentially over 500 other people, moseying along at oh over 500mph! and then set back down on another part of the earth which really would have taken you a lifetime to get to had you walked, I think that deserves a ****ing clap!!!

However, it's statistically more dangerous to be a passenger in a car, and you don't clap everytime you get out of one of them.

Or maybe you do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and you don't clap everytime you get out of one of them.

Or maybe you do.

You've never been in a car with my mother driving. THEN you'd fall to your knees and kiss the pavement!
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    It's only the same as saying thanks to the bus driver as you get off the bus.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    However, it's statistically more dangerous to be a passenger in a car, and you don't clap everytime you get out of one of them.

Or maybe you do.

What has that got to do with what I said?
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    It's only the same as saying thanks to the bus driver as you get off the bus.

Exactly, I always clap when the plane lands