Options

Software update + Anytime Problems (merged)

Comments

• Options
    stalminenetstalminenet Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    i'm going to try forced update to see if my amstrad starts the new download of the new firmware, as when i got the box originally, i was one of the first with the 9.13a version as nobody else had it for ages
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nothing yet of forced update, but did seem to boot faster than normal just now
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    perhaps it is waiting to be activated by Sky.
  • Options
    White MonkWhite Monk Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clatter wrote: »
    It's good to know when new software is expected, but it would be far more useful to have a list of the actual updates that are being implemented.

I got my software update last evening at 18:15 on my Pace box. The box switched off during the BBC News while it was recording London Tonight :mad:

I reset the box thinking it had died terminally, as it would not respond to the remote. When it completed the power on sequence, the box started the upgrade then switched to BBC1 and recorded the last part of London Tonight - the first bit was lost.

Not a major inconvenience - I agree - but a bit of a surprise :rolleyes:
  • Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing yet of forced update, but did seem to boot faster than normal just now
    There is always a delay before forced update goes to the latest software to allow for people to roll-back if necessary.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    You can start and stop your downloads whenever you want. If you want to schedule your downloads at night then all you have to do is set them up before you go to bed. You can even change the download order if you so wish.
    Not exactly automated then :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my Amstrad Sky+ HD box wouldn't come out of standby this morning Record light was on so rebooted and everything was fine but some recordings failed must have crashed during the night.
  • Options
    pinotgrigiopinotgrigio Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Gabriel_R wrote: »
    Am I right in believing that this network connection is for Sky's Anytime+ VOD.

Can it be connected to any Internet provider or only Sky Broadband?

Is there any other current or planned use for this network connection?

Sky emailed this morning with this link:
    http://movies.sky.com/sky-anytime?DCMP=EMC-news_OBU

Only for Sky Broadband customers. Technoguy, any idea when it will be available to other networks like o2?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    It's a shame I won't be able to get Sky AnyTime+, having literally just left Sky Broadband, to get BT Infinity fibre broadband.

It's silly that I won't be able to get Sky AnyTime+ as a non-Sky broadband subscriber. I understand their reasons for doing this is to ensure a stable platform for streamed video delivery, but honestly, with a 40Mbps fibre connection I don't think I'll be having any streaming problems any time soon.

Surely Sky could at least enable Sky AnyTime+ on BT Infinity connections

Glenn
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

do BT allow Virgin 50MB broadband customer access to BT Vision? no they dont, they restrict their service to BT Broadband customers.
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    Sky emailed this morning with this link:
    http://movies.sky.com/sky-anytime?DCMP=EMC-news_OBU

Only for Sky Broadband customers. Technoguy, any idea when it will be available to other networks like o2?

"The service will offer a virtual library of TV with over 500 movies, series boxsets, gripping docs and much more - ready to watch when you are, and at no extra cost."

Their usual clever wording there making it sound like you get it all for FREE FREE FREE, when in fact you won't get the movies if you don't subscribe to the movie channels.

The key word being "EXTRA" I.E. nothing more than the subscriptions that you are paying now, but you won't be getting anything extra either!
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing yet of forced update

As has been said, the forced update stream is the very last to be changed.

If you achieve anything at all by performing a manual forced update it will simply be to replace any new software in your "waiting for a reboot" cache with the old software.
    but did seem to boot faster than normal just now

That's quite normal after a reboot (or forced software download). It's just like rebooting a PC - it clears out any "memory leaks" or corrupted DLLs.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame I won't be able to get Sky AnyTime+, having literally just left Sky Broadband, to get BT Infinity fibre broadband.

It's silly that I won't be able to get Sky AnyTime+ as a non-Sky broadband subscriber. I understand their reasons for doing this is to ensure a stable platform for streamed video delivery, but honestly, with a 40Mbps fibre connection I don't think I'll be having any streaming problems any time soon.

Glenn
    They're testing it with other networks. As I'm sure you know, Infinity has an FUP and if you went over it, you would have an unpleasant experience with Anytime+ - something which Sky want to avoid.
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member

Glenn

It's all marketing yet again. They are trying to please us Sky broadband users and keep us from complaining that we are paying for "upto" 20mb and only getting 9mb!

As soon as they open it up to others, we will all be migrating over to the dreams of 40mb!!!

Sky really need to start working out how they plan to provide fibre optic broadband now and roll it out ASAP as the world of broadband is not stopping for Sky. Sky may be leading in TV and have the latest everything, but they are sadly lacking in the broadband area. So if broadband is now going to play an important part in Sky TV, then they need to work out how they are going to keep up in that area as well.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all marketing yet again. They are trying to please us Sky broadband users and keep us from complaining that we are paying for "upto" 20mb and only getting 9mb!

As soon as they open it up to others, we will all be migrating over to the dreams of 40mb!!!

Sky really need to start working out how they plan to provide fibre optic broadband now and roll it out ASAP as the world of broadband is not stopping for Sky. Sky may be leading in TV and have the latest everything, but they are sadly lacking in the broadband area. So if broadband is now going to play an important part in Sky TV, then they need to work out how they are going to keep up in that area as well.

The priority should be LLU enabling all exchanges first. Where I live there are 3 exchanges the main one is enabled but the other two, which cover 20% of the household in the area, aren't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member

Quite right, if sky don't hurry up and fiber up their llu areas in the next few years they'll be sure to see more competition coming their way and taking over, fiber is capable of constant improvement as hardware allows so expect to see all our data being sent down it eventually, they will get some decent competition at last and i bet they know it! :D
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't Sky be more open with the details of when software updates are released and what they contain? Everyone else does.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Why can't Sky be more open with the details of when software updates are released and what they contain? Everyone else does.
    No, everyone else does not. Some companies choose to be open, not all. As for why it could be any number of reasons most of them quite valid.

But why does it matter? You/I/we have no control over what the software does. We'll find out in due course what Sky have got planned. Knowing about it earlier won't make any difference.
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    No, everyone else does not. Some companies choose to be open, not all. As for why it could be any number of reasons most of them quite valid.

But why does it matter? You/I/we have no control over what the software does. We'll find out in due course what Sky have got planned. Knowing about it earlier won't make any difference.

I'm thinking specifically about bug fixes not new features. It would be nice to see release notes as to what has fixed. deano_sky (I think) has already said he has seen the list of patches and Thomson is in there.

When you have a bug that surfaces once every few months, it's nice to know if thats actually been fixed or is still lurking in there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Once you get the update, how do you connect the Sky HD box to your router, as I have multiroom, and my HD box is 2 rooms away from where the router is.

I have both Sky boxes connected to my landline, and the landline is obviously connected to my router, but you ussually have to conect a device to a router wirelessly or via a network cable.

Will Sky be providing a USB dongle or does it magically connect through the phone line.

Mike
  • Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boswell wrote: »
    Will Sky be providing a USB dongle or does it magically connect through the phone line.

Mike
    Yes SKY will be providing a Wi-Fi adaptor if you need one. I'll be just connecting mine using a Ethernet cable though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    Yes SKY will be providing a Wi-Fi adaptor if you need one.

at a fee of course though i would expect
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As has been said, the forced update stream is the very last to be changed.

If you achieve anything at all by performing a manual forced update it will simply be to replace any new software in your "waiting for a reboot" cache with the old software.

That's quite normal after a reboot (or forced software download). It's just like rebooting a PC - it clears out any "memory leaks" or corrupted DLLs.

I'm going to sound really technical here but I just wanted to point something out

and that was to point out that it seemed quicker to boot, also as i own an internet provider and have similar set top boxes i know how sky's software is engineered and rolled out.

The software isn't cached by the box it is flashed to a seperate rom on the motherboard and once its passes a checksum is then copied to main rom, so once newer firmware is available it gets overwritten, rollback is done when main rom fails and backup rom passes checksum,

sorry for the boring technical chat above but like to make sure that people fully understand how the upgrade software is rolled out

and for those wishing to know how sky are doing the anytime+, its simple, its torrents just as you all know them, just that its announcement server is sky's own so all boxes with downloaded content on will then act as servers for sky, so lets say you downloaded quantum of solace to your box, once its complete, as well as you being able to watch it, it will also then be available for other boxes using sky's announcement server to then grab it from your box as well as any others who have that program complete on thier box.

I can see this as a potential bandwidth nightmare and could make a few problems for some people who don't realize that their box is torrenting and especially when they have a
    bandwidth limit

and how many people who arn't computer minded and have broadband are going to know firstly about torrenting and secondly what their limits of thier broadband are without getting phone calls from thier ISP after thier sky box incurs massive bills for the users without them knowing

rant over sorry if i've annoyed anybody
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I
    and for those wishing to know how sky are doing the anytime+, its simple, its torrents just as you all know them, just that its announcement server is sky's own so all boxes with downloaded content on will then act as servers for sky, so lets say you downloaded quantum of solace to your box, once its complete, as well as you being able to watch it, it will also then be available for other boxes using sky's announcement server to then grab it from your box as well as any others who have that program complete on thier box.

i smell bullshit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i smell Troll.