Options

Software update + Anytime Problems (merged)

Comments

• Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't torrents grab bits from all over the file, so until the file is 100% downloaded it's not usable?

And doesn't Anytime+ allow you to start watching once the download has started?

If so, I can't see how torrents can be used for this??
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    And just to correct a point here.

Darwin is based on Linux, which is an open source Unix clone, and was originally developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991 and released under the GNU Public License. See link here.

Darwin 1.15 is based on Linux-2.6.18.8 and all the changes made by NDS/Sky have been release as required by the GPL and can be downloaded from the link above.

Darwin OS is BSD based, not linux based.
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Don't torrents grab bits from all over the file, so until the file is 100% downloaded it's not usable?

And doesn't Anytime+ allow you to start watching once the download has started?

If so, I can't see how torrents can be used for this??

You are right. It will not be be torrent based. As seems to be becoming the norm on here, a bit of speculation in one post has attracted the ranters and ravers.

In fact NDS has developed its own progressive download technology. See here if you are interested in the technical aspects.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hxbro wrote: »

Still use a Linux kernel though.

From the Open Source Licences page here:

"The following software components are licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2, a copy of which is reproduced below:

Linux Kernel
    Copyright © 1991-2007 Linus Torvalds and other contributors."
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no update this morning! :mad:

Why the rush? You won't be able to use it until sky activate it anyway. I can't explain how the software is sent out as I have it on my samsung pvr4 but not on my amstrad pvr5. To answer the post of when it will be available for forced download, well that won't happen for quite a while. When new software is sent down overnight, sky will wait to see if there are any major issues on a mass level before adding it to the download stream.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hxbro wrote: »

It isn't Darwin (as in Apple's baby) that is being used here, though.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no update this morning! :mad:

your not alone mate my Amstrad PVR5 has no update either.
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky always had a policy of doing software updates on Tuesday mornings in the early hours, is this still the case?
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Sky always had a policy of doing software updates on Tuesday mornings in the early hours, is this still the case?

That will do me! So tonight it is then!

Or else!

:D
  • Options
    crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do I have to leave the box plugged in to get the update?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Why the rush? You won't be able to use it until sky activate it anyway. I can't explain how the software is sent out as I have it on my samsung pvr4 but not on my amstrad pvr5. To answer the post of when it will be available for forced download, well that won't happen for quite a while. When new software is sent down overnight, sky will wait to see if there are any major issues on a mass level before adding it to the download stream.

I'm officially one of those can't wait for anything people who can't stand the fact that some have got something I haven't. :D

At the first hint of Anytime+ data settings update a couple of months ago, I had a LAN cable out and connected in minutes. It's been sitting there for months now and it's annoying me.

And relax........

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,942
    Forum Member
    crunchie wrote: »
    Of course, it's just a dead chunk of plastic and metal if it's not powered!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    crunchie wrote: »

To the power and to the dish, yes! Or it has no way of getting to you. You can switch it to standby though as it is still active and will spring to life and download the update when they decide to send it.

I would imagine that if you always leave it off, when you do turn it on in a couple of months when the download is on the forced download stream, it will do it then or when you decide to do a forced update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Of course, it's just a dead chunk of plastic and metal if it's not powered!

I bet Sky would argue that that isn't a fault, that's a design concept! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    No. It makes far more sense to roll the software out to their own timetable. Forced download remains a safety net - a way to provide users with a way to back out the change if it causes them problems.

Im talking about being able to use anytime+ to download tv and movies for those who have got the update already, that way they can see how it handles as more people use it, seems better than everyone knowing at the same time when all the boxes are updated and sky advertise it on the telly, though i suspect they're ready for it anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    And just to correct a point here.

Darwin is based on Linux, which is an open source Unix clone, and was originally developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991 and released under the GNU Public License. See link here.

Darwin 1.15 is based on Linux-2.6.18.8 and all the changes made by NDS/Sky have been release as required by the GPL and can be downloaded from the link above.

I'm not sure about the implementation that Sky uses but Mac OSX's Darwin is based on FreeBSD NOT Linux.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magneto wrote: »
    Im talking about being able to use anytime+ to download tv and movies for those who have got the update already, that way they can see how it handles as more people use it, seems better than everyone knowing at the same time when all the boxes are updated and sky advertise it on the telly, though i suspect they're ready for it anyway.

You won't be able to download any programmes even if you have the update until sky switch you on I'm afraid. But in my opinion it's worth the wait even if there's no hd content at the moment.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have not had the update yet on either our Pace 3004 or Samsung.

Not that I care as there is no Sky BB here in North Wales so it will not be able to get Anytime + anyhow.

To answer a question earlier - why can Sky not enable aspect switching over 1080 i.

It is their choice not to. They can and indeed once did do so.

Early adopters will tell you that for three months after launch aspect ratio changed over 1080i (or certainly did on our Panasonic TV) but Sky disabled that function with their first major software update in summer 2006.

So it was clearly done on purpose for a reason by Sky.

Maybe the poster of that question earlier should ask Sky why they did this and if they cannot offer it as a choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I thought our Pace box had died first thing last Friday morning when it wouldn't turn on. I didn't have time to do anything with it until I got home from work, but nothing would wake it up apart from a forced download.

Presumably that "failure" was caused by a problem with the update.

As such, I think I've missed the boat this time around - something which may not necessarily be a bad thing in this case... But does anyone know what happens with regards to re-scheduling the update if it fails the first time around?
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought our Pace box had died first thing last Friday morning when it wouldn't turn on. I didn't have time to do anything with it until I got home from work, but nothing would wake it up apart from a forced download.

As such, I think I've missed the boat this time around - something which may not necessarily be a bad thing in this case... But does anyone know what happens with regards to re-scheduling the update if it fails the first time around?
    same thing happened to my Amstrad PVR5 Last Wekk Wouldn't come out of Stand by so rebooted it everything was fine after that so i wonder if i have missed the boat also this time around.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,537
    Forum Member

My Pace box did itd own reboot and software download this evening (yes this evening) and since then, for several hours, has continually gone into standby each time I have tried to access the Planner to see my recordings.

So I did a standby-power down-power up cycle and now, it won't come out of standby for more than a few seconds before going standby again. I'm assuming it's a Sky cack-up with the software download. Will now try a forced software download and hope that will fix it. GRRRR!!!!

EDIT

Nope, forced s/w download didn't work. Pressing the green Planner button from TV Guide sends the Pace Sky+HD immediately into what looks like a reboot (it's 50+ seconds before it will respond to any button or keypress). I can view any channel and even start and stop a new recording but cannot view the Planner to see if there's anything left in there.

Any ideas, guys?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are they doing sending updates during the evening? I thought they did them at about 3am ish so that most people would be in bed and it not interrupt anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My problem might not have been the s/w update, it may have just been the first time I tried to access the Planner after a s/w d/l last night. Or it may be an unrelated problem with the box.

By the way, planner rebuild has made no difference either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    21 minute invisible post - posted at 01:22. Is this a record? Posting this to force it to appear.
  • Options
    pinotgrigiopinotgrigio Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    d'@ve... We have had problems with our Pace box since the upgrade. I am starting a new thread on the off-chance that Sky might notice if it's a wide-spread problem rather than bury it here.