Options

Hidden cost of Renting... am i being ripped off?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

We've just agreed to a new house at £600pcm - we expected a small fee from the letting agency but in fact we were told the 'admin fee' was £246 and that did not include the Inventory Fee of £75 - What exactly is the £246 for then? Why should i pay for an Inventory for the Landlord? Why isnt that included in the £246 anyway?

My partner is willing to pay these out as he's comfortable with money but i'm on less that him and we've always halfed the house stuff down the middle.

Please can someone explain these to me? I've tried calling the Agents but they are 'busy'

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Hi,

We've just agreed to a new house at £600pcm - we expected a small fee from the letting agency but in fact we were told the 'admin fee' was £246 and that did not include the Inventory Fee of £75 - What exactly is the £246 for then? Why should i pay for an Inventory for the Landlord? Why isnt that included in the £246 anyway?

My partner is willing to pay these out as he's comfortable with money but i'm on less that him and we've always halfed the house stuff down the middle.

Please can someone explain these to me? I've tried calling the Agents but they are 'busy'

The admin fee will probably include a credit check although it does sound quite high - I'm assuming the admin fee is on top of your bond/deposit. The inventory is for your benefit as much as the landlord's - it means when your tenancy runs out they can identify any damage/loss to the property and you won't be charged if the damage was already there. Although it seems a bit of a cheek to charge £75 on top of the admin fee and I'd be hacked off too!!
    When you get through to the agents they should be able to give you a breakdown of what this admin fee is for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Also often called "signing-on" fees, they are generally to cover the cost of credit checks etc, but that does seem high to me, especially if it doesn't include the inventory fee. The letting agents will also be charging the landlord 12-15% of your £600 monthly payment to administer things for him - the licensed bandits!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mayville wrote: »
    The admin fee will probably include a credit check although it does sound quite high - I'm assuming the admin fee is on top of your bond/deposit. The inventory is for your benefit as much as the landlord's - it means when your tenancy runs out they can identify any damage/loss to the property and you won't be charged if the damage was already there. When you get through to the agents they should be able to give you a breakdown of what this admin fee is for.

We are also asked to pay one months rent (standard deposit, no problem there) plus £100 (not stated why?) and we've just been told that our current Letting Agents are charging £25 for a reference??

Reading some bits n bobs online i picked up that teh Landlord is usually responsible for the Check in (as in Inventory) and we'd be responsible for the Check out (deduction of deposit if anything was wrong./broken etc) ?
  • Options
    jarwynjarwyn Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also be careful that there aren't any "tenancy renewal" fees.

I'm renting at the moment, and I have to pay £45 each time the tenancy agreement gets renewed (6 months).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We are also asked to pay one months rent (standard deposit, no problem there) plus £100 (not stated why?) and we've just been told that our current Letting Agents are charging £25 for a reference??

Reading some bits n bobs online i picked up that teh Landlord is usually responsible for the Check in (as in Inventory) and we'd be responsible for the Check out (deduction of deposit if anything was wrong./broken etc) ?

Deposit/bond of one months rent + some extra, is kinda normal (although not all agents do it) so you don't just leave without notice and not claim your bond back, thinking "well they already have a month's rent to cover that period".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarwyn wrote: »

I'm renting at the moment, and I have to pay £45 each time the tenancy agreement gets renewed (6 months).

bloody hell fire! I wouldnt be suprised with these Letting Agents, i'll be reading the contract very carefully - thanks for bringing that to my attention xx
  • Options
    Forum Member

So basically they're asking for:
    £1200 for deposit, and first months rent
    £100 for an unknown expense
    £246 admin fee
    £75 inventory fee
    £25 reference fee

Thats knocking on £1700!!:eek: That is daylight robbery - I've never known anyone have to pay out that kind of cash for a new rental. I would be asking for a breakdown of exactly what this cash is going to be used for - providing you can get through to them of course
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £246 admin fee
    £75 inventory fee
    £25 reference fee

Thats knocking on £1700!!:eek: That is daylight robbery - I've never known anyone have to pay out that kind of cash for a new rental. I would be asking for a breakdown of exactly what this cash is going to be used for - providing you can get through to them of course

Exactly... its becomming more and more worrying the more 'little charges' that appear ... I'm still trying but apparently Laura's 'gone home early' - prob off to Trafford Centre with my bloody fee's!!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarwyn wrote: »

I have something similar.. it's about £50, but luckily only every 12 months.

My initial admin fees were much lower than the OP's though.. £150 or so? And that included everything, such as inventory, credit check and so forth.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I would suggest looking elsewhere. Sounds like a cowboy rental firm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I have something similar.. it's about £50, but luckily only every 12 months.

My initial admin fees were much lower than the OP's though.. £150 or so? And that included everything, such as inventory, credit check and so forth.

Ours were 170 in our current place - all in .. thats why we're a bit :eek: well i am, OH will do whatever :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest looking elsewhere. Sounds like a cowboy rental firm.

They are pretty well known in the North West (not sure about rest of country)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OH will do whatever :mad:

Show him this thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would be very wary given that these extra charges keep appearing. I would have thought any good letting agency would be upfront about charges.

Is it worth ringing your current letting agency and trying to find out how much they charge for references? Not sure whether they will tell you though.
  • Options
    Jason JAG LawJason JAG Law Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may also have a clause that states: "if you discuss your contract with any 3rd party, there is a £10 fee to pay us, for every 3rd party response received".

You already owe them over £100!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    £246 admin fee
    £75 inventory fee
    £25 reference fee

The £100 unknown expense is to cover having the house cleaned incase it is not left in a suitable state.

I rent my house out and i ask for one months rent + £100 for the deposit. This means i can pay for the house to be professionally cleaned if i'm not happy with the state it is left in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They may also have a clause that states: "if you discuss your contract with any 3rd party, there is a £10 fee to pay us, for every 3rd party response received".

You already owe them over £100!

Out of interest is this a common clause and why would it be used?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Out of interest is this a common clause and why would it be used?:confused:

Oh dear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The £100 unknown expense is to cover having the house cleaned incase it is not left in a suitable state.

I rent my house out and i ask for one months rent + £100 for the deposit. This means i can pay for the house to be professionally cleaned if i'm not happy with the state it is left in.

Whenever I've rented I've always had to pay 2 months rent one month of which is used as the deposit. If I have understood correctly the OP is having to pay 2 months rent + £100. Surely any cleaning can be taken out of the 1 months rent deposit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear.

He was joking wasn't he... I feel a bit daft now :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whenever I've rented I've always had to pay 2 months rent one month of which is used as the deposit. If I have understood correctly the OP is having to pay 2 months rent + £100. Surely any cleaning can be taken out of the 1 months rent deposit?

Never come across the practice of paying extra for cleaning though, this would just come out of the deposit!
  • Options
    jarwynjarwyn Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I think I'm right in saying that the deposit has to be placed somewhere (an account?) where neither the agent nor the landlord can access it, unless there is a breach of contract i.e. property has not been left in a clean state when you vacate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never come across the practice of paying extra for cleaning though, this would just come out of the deposit!

Thats what I thought. - a house I rented was filthy on the day we were due to move in so the landlord got cleaners in and said he would take the cost out of the previous tenants deposit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member

A new contract was signed for a house of mine just last Tuesday. Thats exactly what the tenants paid. 2 months rent + £100 before they can move in.

In my case the reason its taken on top of the deposit is incase a tenant runs off in the last month I have the rent covered. Plus i can pay for the house to be cleaned in order to rent it out again. So far tenants have not complained about having to pay it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    There's always a few hidden costs but that seems a bit much even so... I live in the North West too and have rented many times and have never been charged than about £100 for a credit check etc. You'd have thought the inventory check would be in with everything else (and always has been for me) as it can't cost them anything! I'd ask around if I was you or maybe try and negotiate with them. At the end of the day though they can charge whatever they want, and if you're really in love with the flat and don't want to lose it you'll just have to pay it.