Options

School 'no touch' rules to be scrapped.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Not only do we treat children like adults, we compound the problem by treating adults like children by stopping them thinking for themselves and using common sense.
    Well that certainly isn't the case from where I'm sitting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only do we treat children like adults, we compound the problem by treating adults like children by stopping them thinking for themselves and using common sense.

You're right there.

Everytime you go into a supermarket "have you got a loyalty card,is it in your bag,shall I wait till you look for it" etc etc etc.

Or you go into the library and take a book out and they stamp the date for return on the inside page and then say "it's due back on Nov 19th".

I know dear I can read. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're right there.

Everytime you go into a supermarket "have you got a loyalty card,is it in your bag,shall I wait till you look for it" etc etc etc.

Or you go into the library and take a book out and they stamp the date for return on the inside page and then say "it's due back on Nov 19th".

Lmao!

Let me guess, these terrible incidents of 'treating adults like children' (:rolleyes:) has all only starting happening recently and everything was perfect back when you were younger and kids used to get a good beating!
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    You're right there.

really every time?? I have been asked, but the assistant has never advised I look in my bag, I think you may be exaggerating a tad
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago, my mum who was semi-retired in her 60s at the time started helping out at the local primary school. Her job was to monitor the children at playtimes and during lunch.

One day a little girl fell and grazed her knee. My mum went over to comfort her but one of the other playground attendants saw her putting the girl on her knee and reported her to the headmaster. The parents were called and the had wanted to call the police but the parents refused and thanked my mum for helping their daughter when everyone else had ignored her.

"Health and Safety" rules have nothing to do with health safety but with protecting liability.

When I was at the same primary school in the 70s touching was very common - either a clip around the ear and a comforting hug. One teacher made you sit on his knee for the rest of the lesson for talking in class. He'd be in prison if he did that now.

Not only did these rules do nothing for child safety but they also put a lot of people off from becoming teachers.

To be honest though, that does sound slightly pervy.

I agree that the no touch rule is a bit silly as it will compromise safety in some instances ~ eg: child is injured.

I mean, what would happen if they'd accidentally cut an artery in their wrist and needed a tourniquet ? Let them bleed to death ?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,547
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I agree that the no touch rule is a bit silly as it will compromise safety in some instances ~ eg: child is injured.

I mean, what would happen if they'd accidentally cut an artery in their wrist and needed a tourniquet ? Let them bleed to death ?

When as a child I nearly sliced off a finger with a wood chisel, the teacher not only dared to touch my hand so he could close the gaping wound, he also gave me smelling salts to stop me fainting from the shock, then drove me to the hosiptal casualty to get it stitched.

Needless to say, me and my parents were quite pleased about this, we thought it was better than leaving me to bleed in a crumpled heap unconscious on the floor, waiting for an ambulance to arrive 20 minutes later.

Thank goodness that the minority of schools that would now have left me to bleed will soon be ordered to stop being so damned silly. I do not like this Government much at all, but credit where credit's due, well done to them in this case.
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    You really don't have a clue do you.

Yes I do! I'm old enough to remember how it was and I can see the gormless chavs with no control now.

So thanks, but I'm fully qualified and do know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my teachers used to physically restrain me occasionally at school if he needed to, sometimes just holding my arm/wrists still, once or time full-blown restraint with his arm around my neck, holding both of my wrists and with his foot across my legs. It had the right effect, it meant he could calm me down and get me to talk to him rationally. So I must have just had very common sense teachers (or teacher, at least). He also told my mum he wished he could give me a hug sometimes, and at our prom he did that - which, again, had the effect of reassuring me and helping me calm down, nothing weird or anything.

So yeah, I think it's a good sign. What's a teacher supposed to do with two fighting teenagers, just ask them to stop? Because eventually there comes a point when they won't listen when an intervention is needed.

There seem to be some people getting worried that it means their children are going to be physically assaulted by teachers or something, but I really can't see an issue with discipline/restraint. If a teacher intentionally physically abuses a child or hurts them, that's just a completely different issue.
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do! I'm old enough to remember how it was and I can see the gormless chavs with no control now.

Try telling a middle class parent that you're going to tell their child to sit down and shut up, see how far you get.

If you think this is only a chav issue you're deluded.
  • Options
    Forum Member

When was the last time you stepped foot in a school?

I think your post was an extreme exaggeration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kim1994 wrote: »
    [/B]

So its ok for them to be physically and emotionally abused then?

Well you would have to define "physically and emotionally abused" first or are you one of those who think all correction in in the same ball park as the Soham murderer?

This is where we really need to get a grip!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When was the last time you stepped foot in a school?

I think your post was an extreme exaggeration.

One has only to look at the result. IE the kind of people schools nowadays are turning out. Sure as hell they where never taught decency. Gobby little brats who can tell you all about their legal rights, but can't even do basic Maths and English.

They exist and it would be a very silly thing to pretend they don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One has only to look at the result. IE the kind of people schools nowadays are turning out. Sure as hell they where never taught decency. Gobby little brats who can tell you all about their legal rights, but can't even do basic Maths and English.

You mean, the results you read in the daily mail every day.They do exist and always have done. The way you say it is like every other person that comes out of school is one of 'them'. When in fact they are a minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you would have to define "physically and emotionally abused" first or are you one of those who think all correction in in the same ball park as the Soham murderer?

This is where we really need to get a grip!

I cannot see how you may suspect that from my post. Physical and emotional abuse abused would include beating a child, excessive shaking a child (esp babies), starving a child, belittling a child, not showing love or affection and similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was at school the male teachers dressed in suit shirt and tie and the ladies dresses.
    They always looked well turned out.

The teacher's were in charge and the kids did what they were told.

You wouldn't be disruptive and stay in class the teacher would put you outside or to the head's office.

If you were badly behaved you occasionally might get the strap.

The old fashioned methods worked and the children learned to read and write and spell properly.
    They also learned to respect their teacher.

Not all teacher's were brilliant but the majority were good.

Look at the schools now...... a complete shambles.

The teacher's can't even dress properly and the kids are fat and stupid and can do whatever they like with impunity.

Glad I went to school in the 50's/ 60's and not today.

There was a lot more common sense in teaching then than there is now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes some kids are as you describe but most are not
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't my child to go to a school that had this no touch rule, and I'd be disgusted if a teacher just let someone beat another child up, while standing there, saying no "don't do that". These are not laws, they are policies of the school. If you're not willing to take the risk that there is a posibility you could be wrongly sued, then don't be a teacher.
    A school like that is shit, if they were not going to comfort my child if they hurt themselves or were upset, then I would not allow my child to attend, simple as that.
    there is a difference between molesting someone and giving them a hug. jeez. :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a Teacher hadn't been allowed to lay a finger on me, I wouldn't be here now. The guy saved my life. More power to them.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teachers used to highlight our mistakes on red pen.

Nowadays, that wouldn't be allowed, in case the pupil felt embarrassed/humiliated.

A pupil's embarrassment needs to take a back seat, to making them literate and numerate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I was at school the male teachers dressed in suit shirt and tie and the ladies dresses.

The teacher's were in charge and the kids did what they were told.

You wouldn't be disruptive and stay in class the teacher would put you outside or to the head's office.

If you were badly behaved you occasionally might get the strap.

The old fashioned methods worked and the children learned to read and write and spell properly.
    They also learned to respect their teacher.

Not all teacher's were brilliant but the majority were good.

Look at the schools now...... a complete shambles.

The teacher's can't even dress properly and the kids are fat and stupid and can do whatever they like with impunity.

Glad I went to school in the 50's/ 60's and not today.

There was a lot more common sense in teaching then than there is now.

If they churned out people like you then thank god things have changed.

Your really not doing yourself any favours describing how good and perfect the past was when you can't even write and use grammar properly yourself, or even take a realistic view on things. Irony is the word I believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

Nowadays, that wouldn't be allowed, in case the pupil felt embarrassed/humiliated.

A pupil's embarrassment needs to take a back seat, to making them literate and numerate.
    Wrong.
  • Options
    JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

Agreed, also haven't some silly schools stopped the 1st , 2nd or 3rd positions in races etc during sports day (if they still have them that is) just in case it upsets the poor little dears and gives them an inferiority complex.

Schools these days certainly don't prepare their inmates for life in the outside world where it can be cruel and dog eat dog. However I suppose schools are now only there to get the kids to pass a test at the end of their tenure and not educate them as schools used to do in the past, I suppose it's because we have very few educators in our schools now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member

People do still get sent out for being disruptive. I left school this year and that was standard practice.

They still get sent to higher authorities in more drastic cases, as well. Although in my school it tended to be the Head of Year rather than the Headteacher.

Most of my male teachers (PE teachers aside) wore a shirt and tie as well. The female teachers were a bit more varied, although they almost always looked smart. I'm not sure what the hell clothing has to do with quality of education, though. There are lots of qualities that make a teacher good or bad, and what sort of trousers they're wearing isn't one of them.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong.

OK. I exaggerate a little.

But it was banned in at least one school.

Teachers banned from marking in red.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Wrong.

Agreed.

The person who insists red pen is banned should see some of my school work from the last 2-3 years? I actually had a history teacher who was stupidly trigger-happy with it, scribbling out entire sentences, even paragraphs because they were 'unnecessary', and crossing out words because she'd have preferred you to use a different one (even though the two words meant exactly the same thing, and there was nothing inarticulate or clumsy about the one yoi'd used originally).

And before anyone says, no, I didn't go to some posh private/boarding school. It was a standard comp.