Options

Delhi - 2010

Comments

• Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't agree with having Jerusalem as our anthem for this at all it's nothing like as raising a tune as Land of hope and glory.

Terrible decision that imo.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerusalem as the anthem??? It lasts about five minutes. They all looked bored on the podium
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Don't agree with having Jerusalem as our anthem for this at all it's nothing like as raising a tune as Land of hope and glory.

But Jerusalem is about England whereas Land of Hope and Glory is about the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Robbie Renwick. First gold for Scotland:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the bowls at the moment. Why oh why don't they ensure that both sides play with differently coloured balls? It's absolutely impossible to make out who is winning.
    Unbelievable isn't it they've got a game on atm on BBC2 we've got red balls, blue balls and red balls with blue stickers on them :confused: even the comms didn't know who'd won one of the ends!

This is pretty much bowls only multisports tournament appearance hardly a good way to advertise it to potential new players watching at home!
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    Its the week days. Children at school and people working for a living. Maybe we ought to wait until the weekend to guage spectator numbers.

And there was the test at Mohali to watch.

That's interesting. In terms of scheduling you would think they would organise it when schools are on holiday so there is more chance of families attending events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to Fran Halsall, Liam Tancock & Robbie Renwick on their gold medals. Great result for Fran as that was probably her weakest individual event here - more to come from her I think. Liam was expected to win the 50m backstroke and I think he will go on to do the double retaining his 100m crown too. The 200m freestyle was an exciting race although as was pointed out not swum in the sort of times that Thorpe used to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The athletics could be interesting tomorrow, when they showed you the stadium earlier on today they were still getting the stuff out from the opening ceremony, the running track was being bodged up because it broke up during the opening and they haven't finished laying the grass in the infield!

Looked more like a building site than a stadium on the eve of competition starting there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halsall is massively talented. The way she stepped up and beat the favourite Guehrer in the final was champion-like.
    david1955 wrote: »
    The average monthly wage is £145-330 and ticket prices are £3,00 to £7,00, so £30 for starters if it were in the Uk, not a huge amount for the millions of white collar workers in Delhi.

The equivalent of £30 is still really expensive if these sports or going to such events isn't as popular and well-covered as they are in other countries (less premium placed on them). If you want to go as a family for example, it gets expensive.
    Please dint reply with the usual "does it matter" etc but I was just wondering if Ian Thorpe was gay?

Was just wondering if he has come out as it is still a bit of a touchy subject down under

Still a touchy subject - he's guarded about his private life but he has actually stated "I'm not gay". http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/550/Ian_Thorpe_Im_Not_Gay

There are still people who think otherwise though and it's not outside of the realms of possibility since there are very good reasons to stay in the closet.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to the Jonathon Edwards and Mike Costello interviews on 5-live on the way home from work.
    Edwards says the athletes will be totally shocked when they see the state of the athletics venue.

Mike said the re-laying of the track/field after the opening ceremony had been delayed by about 20 hours due to the security checks on the lorries bringing the stuff in and then one of the lorries damaged the track as it was leaving
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why oh why does the commonwealth games report show englands two golds in the pool and their bronze in the amputee event but completely omits scotlands gold in the pool?

It's really annoying:mad:
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,030
    Forum Member
    Another reason why no one's talking about the games here is that the live action takes place in working/ school hours. It's all over by the time you get home and all the Beeb are offering is a one hour highlights show.

I quite like watching hockey but haven't seen any yet. All a bit disappointing.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    But Jerusalem is about England whereas Land of Hope and Glory is about the UK.

Jerusalem is in Israel though:D

Its even worse than God save the Queen - its an awful evangelical depressing dirge.:D Does anyone really believe Jesus went to Glastonbury anyway?

God save the Queen is used by England for rugby and football and its the UK anthem so why the problem anyway?

Land of hope and glory is more inspiring - the sort of inspiring anthem most other countries have.

Land of Hope and Glory,

Mother of the Free

How shall we extol thee

who are born of thee ?

Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set ;

God, who made thee mighty

make thee mightier yet

make thee mightier yet.
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOHAG is a bit empire-y for the Commonwealths though isn't it?

What could be more English than Jerusalem played by a brass band? Probably should have limited it to 1 verse (ideally the 2nd so you get the Chariots of Fire bit) and straight into the big finish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Jerusalem is in Israel though:D

Its even worse than God save the Queen - its an awful evangelical depressing dirge.:D Does anyone really believe Jesus went to Glastonbury anyway?

God save the Queen is used by England for rugby and football and its the UK anthem so why the problem anyway?

Land of hope and glory is more inspiring - the sort of inspiring anthem most other countries have.

Land of Hope and Glory,

Mother of the Free

How shall we extol thee

who are born of thee ?

Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set ;

make thee mightier yet

make thee mightier yet.
    :D

Each to their own but I personally much prefer Jerusalem & I find it more stirring & uplifting than Land of Hope & Glory.

God Save the Queen is fine to use at Olympics etc. because it's the BRITISH anthem but England should use a different anthem - Wales & Scotland rightly use a different anthem & so should England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are now in the Commonwealth.

The Portuguese didn't have a nig enough empire to warrant their own Games - and Brazil would win everything if they did.
    All things considered, the Portuguese Empire was pretty ace, and accordingly they have their own games. Next one is in India funnily enough:
    Lusophony Games

I was also wondering if French-speakers have their own Games, and it turns out they do:
    Jeux de la Francophonie.
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Well done Robbie Renwick. First gold for Scotland:D

Agreed.

Was out my seat cheering ...Never have I laughed so much through Flower of Scotland having just been numbed to stone by Jerusalem.
    ( not often Flower of Scotland sounds cheery by comparison)

Mark Foster said Robbies Gold was best of day.
    1. When he stood on podium the two Ozzies Towered above him. ( beat the giants)
    2. Came back from duff 400m
    3. Never left his home small town club for big ones
    4. His coach died in April
    5. He loved hearing Flower of Scotland !!

Totally agree. Well Done Robbie proper job.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    So will the stadium be ready for the Athletics tomorrow?:eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9063800.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the cycling - as predicted, pretty much 100% Australian dominance. :cry: How are the mighty fallen. I can remember the days (just about two years 2 months ago, actually) when our second string was good enough to beat their best.

One funny thing: although all the British teams are competing as independent teams, all the background staff are shared between them. This means that the coaches have to keep switching shirts, literally, and even putting kilts on, depending on who is up next.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So will the stadium be ready for the Athletics tomorrow?:eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9063800.stm

I like the tractor that's unrolling a huge roll of grass about a quarter of the way in to that video!

Interesting to see all the women in saris polishing or handbrushing or whatever they're doing to the track.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 24,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought on the Athletics Staduim, why did they wait till 24 hours before the Athletics events to lay a new track and Field it's begining to look like a farce:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Just a thought on the Athletics Staduim, why did they wait till 24 hours before the Athletics events to lay a new track and Field it's begining to look like a farce:confused:

It got damaged during the opening ceremony, apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the cycling - as predicted, pretty much 100% Australian dominance. :cry: How are the mighty fallen. I can remember the days (just about two years 2 months ago, actually) when our second string was good enough to beat their best.

One funny thing: although all the British teams are competing as independent teams, all the background staff are shared between them. This means that the coaches have to keep switching shirts, literally, and even putting kilts on, depending on who is up next.

But it's very much a second string for the home countries with the top guys missing with a few exceptions. Also the Commonwealths still includes the events like the Individual pursuit which have been scrapped from the Olympics which the British are no longer really focusing on.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why oh why does the commonwealth games report show englands two golds in the pool and their bronze in the amputee event but completely omits scotlands gold in the pool?

It's really annoying:mad:
    They don't - watch closer.

I'm thrilled with every medal picked up by England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland - in 2 years time all will compete under the Union flag.
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't call our cycling team second string. It's second string for each home nation. But when you look at it in international terms, it would probably equate to a British 3rd string squad.

Personally I think they are doing just fine, you need to remember these guys are not expected to peak until Rio 2016.