Options

the rare 60's classics thread

Comments

• Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Don't think this has been included yet

The Buckinghams - "Kind Of A Drag" (1965?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq1fpN1qWv8&feature=grec_index

I don't think it was released over here.
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love what the man could do :D
    not what he became:(

The Ronettes - You came, you saw, you conquered.

Darlene Love- Today I met the boy I'm gonna marry

The Checkmates - Black Pearl
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    The Buckinghams - "Kind Of A Drag"

The hook line is reminding me of another song. Is it "He's so Fine"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAcQrt8-SE
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Don't think this has been included yet

The Buckinghams - "Kind Of A Drag" (1965?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq1fpN1qWv8&feature=grec_index

I don't think it was released over here.

That was from '67...it got a UK release on EMI's Stateside lable.:)
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charted at #13 on UK Singles chart
    Here's Reparata and the Delrons - Captain Of Your Ship from 1968

Petula Clark - Colour My World (1966)

Sandie Shaw - Long Live Love
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could possibly be wrong, but I don't think we've had anything from Georgie Fame yet.

One fact about Georgie Fame that really appeals to the anorak in me is that only three of his singles ever made the the UK Top Ten, yet all three of them ("Yeh Yeh", "Get Away" and "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde") went to Number One.

Here are some of his lesser hits:-

Sunny (1966)

Try My World (1967)

Peaceful (1969)

Seventh Son (1969)
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    I could possibly be wrong, but I don't think we've had anything from Georgie Fame yet.

One fact about Georgie Fame that really appeals to the anorak in me is that only three of his singles ever made the the UK Top Ten, yet all three of them ("Yeh Yeh", "Get Away" and "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde") went to Number One.

Here are some of his lesser hits:-

Sunny (1966)

Try My World (1967)

Peaceful (1969)

Seventh Son (1969)

Have not included my favourite Georgie Fame track " Sitting in The Park" :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    Have not included my favourite Georgie Fame track " Sitting in The Park" :)

Sorry :) but I prefer the original version:-

Billy Stewart - Sitting In The Park (1966)

P.S. I previously submitted Bobby Hebb's original version of "Sunny" on Page 10 of this thread and Georgie Fame's cover version of it a mere quarter of an hour ago, so I might actually get round to submitting Georgie's version of "Sitting In The Park" in some future post, unless someone else beats me to it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry :) but I prefer the original version:-

Billy Stewart - Sitting In The Park (1966)

P.S. I previously submitted Bobby Hebb's original version of "Sunny" on Page 10 of this thread and Georgie Fame's cover version of it a mere quarter of an hour ago, so I might actually get round to submitting Georgie's version of "Sitting In The Park" in some future post, unless someone else beats me to it!

Here we go go Georgie Fame's version of Sitting In The Park. Have to admit it is one of the few cover versions of any song that I think is better than the original.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3nNB8D_A1k
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i liked georgie fame, possibly the most overlooked artist from the 60's

'get away' was my fav, theres something alittle dark about it...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to Radio 2's brilliant "Sounds Of The 60s" show when they played a song called "Break My Mind" - imagine my surprise when Brian Matthew announced that the singer was...Duane Eddy!

For an instrumentalist, he has a decent voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to Radio 2's brilliant "Sounds Of The 60s" show when they played a song called "Break My Mind" - imagine my surprise when Brian Matthew announced that the singer was...Duane Eddy!

i was thinking of using that prog as the basis for another 60's themed thread... really just to discuss the records played. love that show, i listen to it every saturday whilst driving to a farm where i metal detect... brian matthew is a treasure, a fount of information on 60's music.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member

I always liked the Box Tops version of that tune...I think it was something of a country staple at the time.

The Box Tops - Break My Mind (1967)

Here's a lesser known later period Georgie Fame track - a good groover this one!:)

Georgie Fame - Somebody Stole My Thunder
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I'm still working my way through this thread so not yet really in a position to comment!

I do however remember driving to an accountancy course in Wales every weekend and on the car radio we had
    Tom Jones - Green Grass of Home
    Easybeats - Monday I've got Friday on my Mind
    Len Barry - 123
    Some things you never forget.

Wishing I was still young I rather like hearing these ladies
    Teddybears - To know him is to Love Him
    Ponytails - Born too Late

The last one is very appropriate as when I was listening to it my unknown wife to be was only thirteen and I was in my 20s!

A further comment perhaps on lyrics. Paul Simon's The Boxer takes some beating (!) for telling a story. Now I'm grown up the line from Me and Bobby McGee that really gets to me is
    ....somewhere near Salinas I let her slip away, looking for the home I hope she'll find. I'd trade all my tomorrow's for a single yesterday holding Bobby's body next to mine.....

And propped up against the wall behind me is a black Burns guitar bought from Johhny Roadhouse in Manchester :)

P S I'm not allowed to listen to Sounds of the Sixties because apparently I get all introverted and depressed. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five very different sixties instrumental tracks:-

Eric Delaney - Manhattan Spiritual (1962)
    Great tune, fantastic drumming.

Jimmy and the Rackets - Black Eyes (1964)
    I’ve only just discovered this one. An absolute gem.

The Joe Loss Orchestra - March of the Mods (1964)
    I can well imagine this going down a real storm with middle-aged people at a mid-sixties wedding. However, despite its title, I don’t think any self-respecting Mod would have been seen dead with this single in his or her record collection.

The Skatalites - Guns of Navarone (1965)
    Classic ska.

Fleetwood Mac - Jigsaw Puzzle Blues (1968)
    B-side of the band’s only ever UK Number One single “Albatross” (which, of course, was also an instrumental).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Joe Loss Orchestra - March of the Mods (1964)
    I can well imagine this going down a real storm with middle-aged people at a mid-sixties wedding. However, despite its title, I don’t think any self-respecting Mod would have been seen dead with this single in his or her record collection.

[).

lol... exactly!

off now to listen to brian matthews sots. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have devoted two or three of my previous posts to tracks from 1959 and 1970, using the argument that as both years were so close to the sixties they could be said to be part of that decade.

We now have an equivalent seventies thread, so submitting tracks from 1970 to a sixties thread has suddenly become rather pointless. However, the same cannot be said about 1959, so here are a few of my favourites (non-hits, minor hits and forgotten major hits) from that particular year.

Frankie Ford - Sea Cruise (1959)
    Frankie Ford imho recorded two rock ‘n’ roll classics in 1959. One was “Roberta” (my favourite of the two, which I submitted on Page 11 of the thread), and this is the other one.

Chris Barber’s Jazzband - Petite Fleur (1959)
    Monty Sunshine’s superb clarinet playing on this track has imho only ever been matched by Acker Bilk’s on “Stranger On The Shore”.

The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me (1959)
    A bit cheesey, but I really like this.

Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee (1959)
    Classic track from the one of the true greats of fifties Rhythm ’n’ Blues.

The Skyliners - Since I Don’t Have You (1959)
    Wonderful Doo-wop ballad.

Chuck Berry - Almost Grown (1959)
    Not one of Chuck’s better known tracks, but a particular favourite of mine.

Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs (1959)
    As I said in a previous post:-
    I don’t really care that every song she ever recorded was cheesier than a Quattro Formaggi pizza, I love this woman's voice!

The Viscounts - Harlem Nocturne (1959)
    Superb instrumental track.
    The tune itself actually dates back to the thirties, and had previously been recorded by Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington among others.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to put a bit of French back in this thread. Starting with a great thus far overlooked here. This song about how people in small villages spread rumours is probably his gravelly best
    George Brassens - Mauvaise Reputation

On that subject, when this singer made it he was devastated when the people of his natal village revealed to the press that he was a bastard, his father was an unknown german soldier
    Gerard Lenorman - Michele

This duet is an undiscovered gem of french beat pop
    Sophie Makhno - Obsessions 68

As Vabosity posted some Connie Francis in 1959 here she is in the early 60's covering a song composed by Michel Legrand and originally sung by Catherine Duneuve in cult classic, Les Parapluies De Cherbourg
    Connie Francis - I Will Wait For You

Michel Legrand is synonymous with 60s and early 70s film soundtracks but there were others such as Francois de Roubaix. Check out the intro to this, at about 45 seconds in, which sounds suspiciously like the intro to Robbie Williams' song Love Supreme; needless to say he isn't credited on Robbie's album.
    François de Roubaix - Dernier Domicile Connu

A week or so ago the French singer Colette Renard passed away. I have to say I'd never heard of her; apparently she abandoned her musical career; but this is a lovely music hall ditty she did in 1959
    Colette Renard - ça c'est de la musique

Bourvil was another great star of the French music hall. Here's one of his last songs parodying Serge Gainsbourg's 'Je t'aime'
    Bourvil/Jacqueline Maillan - ça ( je t'aime moi non plus)

And to end where I started here are the wonderful Flanders & Swann covering a Georges Brassens song about the futility of war
    Flanders and Swann - The War of 14-18
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michel Legrand is credited as the composer of French radio station RTL's trumpet fanfare, played on the hour every hour since the sixties.

http://www.schoop.fr/sons/playerson.php?son=mp3/75_RTL%20jingle%20_1975.mp3

If he gets paid for every play, that's er, 24 x 365 x 50 bank credits - a steady earner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Crystals track written by Carole King, ignored by most radio stations because of the subject matter, domestic violence.

The Cystals , He Hit Me (It felt like a Kiss)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyy6r_9ptf0&feature=related
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quattro Formaggi

Lovely orgasmic start to this one from Connie: Where the Boys Are.

Or there's her Japanese version.

There's something as quintessentially 1960s white America as "Madmen" in this one: Statler Brothers: Flowers on the Wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the fun of digging up these oldies is enjoying the video tracks pasted alongside by some Youtubicators.

Haunting lyrics and soaring harmonies on this Marty Robbins ballad El Paso

Just look at the quality of the lyrics:

Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
    Music would play and Felina would whirl.
    My love was deep for this Mexican maiden;
    I was in love but in vain, I could tell.
    From out of nowhere Felina has found me,
    Kissing my cheek as she kneels by my side.
    Cradled by two loving arms that I'll die for,
    One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    like the intro to Robbie Williams' song Love Supreme

Oh, on first hearing that one I was reminded of the storm-breaking instrumental arrangement of Serge Gainsbourg's Initials B. B.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    Michel Legrand is credited as the composer of French radio station RTL's trumpet fanfare, played on the hour every hour since the sixties.

http://www.schoop.fr/sons/playerson.php?son=mp3/75_RTL%20jingle%20_1975.mp3

If he gets paid for every play, that's er, 24 x 365 x 50 bank credits - a steady earner.
    Ha, I didn't know that! Now I want to know who composed Europe 1's fanfare with the bells that sounds as if it must have been used for just as long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Europe 1's fanfare with the bells that sounds as if it must have been used for just as long.

Since 1955! And here's the original metal box that contained the chimes. Was a joy to come across this one, hope it is for you too.

The guy in the clip suggests the melody might have been composed by Raymond Legrand father of Michel, so that's a bit spooky.

The clean version in the clip is now my ringtone for SMS. Ringtone for calls is a France Inter top-of-the-hour tune, a re-arrangement of the original 1960s orchestral job. Lovely. Indulgent.