Options

Terrestrial DX (Atmospherics affecting TV reception)

Comments

• Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rapido wrote: »
    Here in the Lea Valley, Lille has faded, now getting Dunkirk (Dunkerque) very good instead!

39, 42, 45 for F2, TF1, F3 - teletext is even coming very well on F3, and is just trying to break through on the others.....

Also Tacolneston 55, 59, 62, 65 (BBC2, Anglia, BBC1, C4) watchable too.

All analogue, haven't tried with DTT yet.

-rapido

Well, with my system I've not had the French UHF TV at all. So that's something you get that I don't :)
    I can receive Tacolneston which is very weak most of the time, but I have seen the analogue picture perfect when conditions allow. I use it as an indicator of "lift" conditions to the South East.

Chris.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting BBC Radio 1 on 99.3 (Tacelston?) clearer than any of the ones supposed to serve this area normally manage, and BBC Radio Derby is coming in stronger than BBC Radio Nottingham.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Winter Hill was the pits last night. Trying to watch V on Channel One breaking up a lot half way through...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    Well its the ZDF multiplex (the Z looks like a 2 in the logo, so 2DF).

Having lived in Germany I know that the first character is a number 2. The Z is for "Zwei" which is german for two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Sutton Coldfield TX was shafted last night.

My wife was asking if we could ask for a refund on our licence fee :)
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Should the effects die down in a coupla days? BBC freeview is almost full strength now (90%) but ITV, C4 and other muxes (the one that Dave is on) certainly aren't.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeWill34 wrote: »
    My wife was asking if we could ask for a refund on our licence fee :)
    Ask her if the refund should be provided by the Met Office. After all it is caused by the weather. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    radioredcatradioredcat Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    Well, with my system I've not had the French UHF TV at all. So that's something you get that I don't :)
    I can receive Tacolneston which is very weak most of the time, but I have seen the analogue picture perfect when conditions allow. I use it as an indicator of "lift" conditions to the South East.

Chris.

I have had a few french analogue on CH21/24/27/48/49 over the past couple of days.

I am receiving M6 on CH38 now and a weak one on CH 39 .

One thing you mentioned last night about ch 37 i receive five from emely moor/sutton and yet it seemed that they were dropping in the noise but it was digital noise coming over the top of them,I breifly saw a digital signal but by the time it took the box to scan the channel the signal had gone.

Later last night i was fiddling with the tv which connected to my wrekin log 40 aerial i received mux C from rowridge on ch 37 wiping out the analogue five so it shows how powerful this digital is.

andy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UHF 36 - WDR, NDR, MDR, HR
    Possibly the SFN around Han(n)over (capital of Niedersachsen [Lower Saxony]), the main transmitter being Hannover-Telemax. http://www.dvb-t-nord.de/empfangsgebiete/media/datenblatt_m_s_nds.pdf

Thanks for the info that would make the distance about 525 miles not far off my record of 570 miles which was DDR TV from brocken east germany in sept 1983.

That was the mother of all openings there were signals from everywhere for a week and daytime temps were in the 80's.

I did post a vid on youtube of DDR TV but i got told to take off by Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv formerly DDR TV.

andy
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    In Northants (via Sandy Heath tx) the signal went completely on ITV1 just as the judges were revealing their votes on The X Factor. Classic timing! Got it back eventually but the problems carried on into the following programme, Downton Abbey, during which there was lots of picture breakup.

Initially thought it was a problem with our equipment, specifically the aerial booster, so relieved to find out now that is not the case.

Picture on Mux 2 has been poor since then. Mux 1 seems to be OK. Can't comment on the others or analogue.

And contrats your post was in todays Metro!
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    MikeWill34 wrote: »
    Having lived in Germany I know that the first character is a number 2. The Z is for "Zwei" which is german for two.
    I know that. Think it was very clever for ZDF to turn the Z to a 2 when they redesigned the logo and DOG. Their virtual news studio for Heute (Today) takes a bit of getting used to, though.

----

Reception issues appear to be normalising.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And hello to Aidan Radnedge, who has written in piece on page 16 of today's Metro newspaper featuring this very thread...

EDIT: Just noticed I was pipped to the post five minutes ago (see dids858 post)!

Sadly I can't find the article on the Metro website.
    While some people lost channels, viewers in Stoke-on-Trent received Belgian broadcasts and those in Swansea picked up French programmes. Complaints on online forums and social networking sites yesterday included one from a Northamptonshire poster who wrote on Digital Spy: "The signal went completely on ITV1 just as the judges were revealing their votes on The X Factor. Classic timing!"

Due to copyright rules, I can't post more than a paragraph here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For those who haven't got time to browse the various threads on DS:

djonshore reports Northern Irish TV reception in Bangor, North Wales.

angustay reports receiving duplicate versions of Freeview channels, including ITV1 Tyne Tees & Border.

Megabyte in Co Wicklow reports receiving ITV1 Granada and BBC One from Rowridge, both via Freeview.

thelostone reports picking up BBC Scotland and STV on the Freeview box.

Phil Owens reported picture breakup at Winter Hill last night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I can't find the article on the Metro website.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/843654-the-pressure-is-high-as-tv-loses-x-factor

-rapido
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks. I know why I couldn't find it... the headline in the paper is slightly different to the online headline, and I searched for headline as it was in the paper!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a few french analogue on CH21/24/27/48/49 over the past couple of days.

I am receiving M6 on CH38 now and a weak one on CH 39 .

One thing you mentioned last night about ch 37 i receive five from emely moor/sutton and yet it seemed that they were dropping in the noise but it was digital noise coming over the top of them,I breifly saw a digital signal but by the time it took the box to scan the channel the signal had gone.

Later last night i was fiddling with the tv which connected to my wrekin log 40 aerial i received mux C from rowridge on ch 37 wiping out the analogue five so it shows how powerful this digital is.

andy

No French DX at all at this location during the last few days.
    All exotic TV and radio reception has now gone.
    I'm left with just my usual (fading in and out) Belgian and Dutch FM radio, (91.7 & 95.7 BE. Radio 1, 98.6 BE. Radio 2 and 87.9 NL. Zeeland). For this I have a vertical 7 element band II antenna in the loft, pointing towards the SE.
    As for UHF CH37, the antenna DY14WB http://i56.tinypic.com/fx4cgp.jpg is today, still pointing to Germany. It seems to have good rejection of Emley Moor CH5 at 180 degrees, so the reflector is doing a good job at shielding any signals hitting the back of the antenna. This is why I was receiving the German signals so well.

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi cris i've had nothing from germany today but french analoge u keeps appearing on different channels at this moment ihave frrench station which is fighting with oxford but i can't identify yet.

There's some french on FM as well so i think thats the way the propogation is heading.

I have got the wrekin back but i bet that will go at dusk,Ireland FM is extremely strong here as i am getting RDS info in the car.

andy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi cris i've had nothing from germany today but french analoge u keeps appearing on different channels at this moment ihave frrench station which is fighting with oxford but i can't identify yet.

There's some french on FM as well so i think thats the way the propogation is heading.

I have got the wrekin back but i bet that will go at dusk,Ireland FM is extremely strong here as i am getting RDS info in the car.

andy

Hi Andy,

I did have a few French FM radio stations earlier today, but they have gone. No TV from France or Irish radio at all. Still, I'm happy to have received Germany and the Netherlands TV and radio here. I even received FM radio from Denmark (99.0Mhz) in the car on Sunday, when I was at Spurn Head!

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for UHF CH37, the antenna DY14WB http://i56.tinypic.com/fx4cgp.jpg is today, still pointing to Germany. It seems to have good rejection of Emley Moor CH5 at 180 degrees, so the reflector is doing a good job at shielding any signals hitting the back of the antenna.

That is in fact a Fracarro Omega 14, probably one of the best widebands available. I assume the lower aerials are for Band I and Band III...?

I like the aerial installation - hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions, as I'm thinking of installing my own aerials on a rotator soon:

1) what rotator are you using?,
    2) how tall is the main pole (the one below the rotator)?

-rapido
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is in fact a Fracarro Omega 14, probably one of the best widebands available. I assume the lower aerials are for Band I and Band III...?

I like the aerial installation - hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions, as I'm thinking of installing my own aerials on a rotator soon:

1) what rotator are you using?,
    2) how tall is the main pole (the one below the rotator)?

-rapido

It is a Fracarro Omega 14. I bought it from www.aerialsandtv.co.uk. They call it a DY14WB.
    The lower one is for Bands I & III.
    I had the rotator 2nd hand about 20 years ago and have no idea what make it is.
    Rather than try to describe the pole, what it's attached to and height etc, I took a picture of it just now. http://i52.tinypic.com/29w74vr.jpg
    I'm terrified of heights, so could not climb the roof (even though it's only a bungalow).
    You can see the vertical WB UHF antenna I quickly put up yesterday for the Dutch TV reception. It's down at the bottom of the pole. Well, it worked anyway :)
    Hope this answers some of your questions.

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope this answers some of your questions.

Yes, it's most appreciated!

I will have to see what I can rig up in the next month or so - I'll have to get a rotator first!

I already have an unused 4 element VHF/FM aerial, and will probably get an Omega 14 or similar for UHF.

Here are my photos from last night - I took loads, but here are the best:

http://i55.tinypic.com/15rjjg6.jpg (TF1, Dunkirk)
    http://i54.tinypic.com/v3ix3k.jpg (France 2, Lille)
    http://i54.tinypic.com/jj1t9u.jpg (France 3, Dunkirk)
    http://i51.tinypic.com/1owxz7.jpg (France 3 teletext, Dunkirk)

Notice the "SECAM fire" that occurs with the above weak signals - colours dancing all over the screen. Compare to a weak PAL signal and no fire:

http://i55.tinypic.com/307uq01.jpg (BBC2, Tacolneston)

I was just pointing a Maxview Truvision indoor aerial out of the window. I probably could've got better pictures with an outdoor aerial, but I was very happy with what I received. As I only recently got this tv which is able to decode SECAM pictures... and those French analogue transmissions will be discontinued in a couple of months time... therefore, the timing was perfect!

-rapido
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tonight, Sutton Coldfield's digital services are coming in stronger than usual (they are normally quite good, but muxes like Mux D are coming in far stronger). So a slight enhancement aiding TV reception at the moment.

Also: in the past we had analogue co-channel interference from Mendip on Waltham's analogue channels. We got the venetian blind effect on the picture. Once, I turned the indoor aerial during East Midlands Today and it turned into Points West! During the current conditions, we've had a grainy Waltham picture, but no venetian blind effect. I wonder if this is caused by Mendip's post-DSO digital signals co-channeling with Waltham's analogue signals. I have not been able to receive Mendip digital, but think the signals from Waltham would have been enough to corrupt any incoming digital signal.

Looking at the charts, I think Wales and Ireland will bear the brunt of the atmospheric-related reception issues tonight and tomorrow (although there is a strip diagonally across England where conditions will allow further good DX reception/poor local reception), before it dies down completely.
  • Options
    marcltmarclt Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Here in west Wales, analogue has been winning out! My UHF aerial is pointing WNW, but out of the back of it I got analogue itv1 from Crystal Palace this morning.

Tonight utv from Divis is on Ch.24.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marclt wrote: »
    Here in west Wales, analogue has been winning out! My UHF aerial is pointing WNW, but out of the back of it I got analogue itv1 from Crystal Palace this morning.

Tonight utv from Divis is on Ch.24.

UTV from Divis seems to be available in quite a few parts of Wales at the moment, saw a post earlier from North Wales regarding Northern Ireland analogue.

The emphasis of the current tropo lift is certainly moving westwards...
    (Crystal Palace was travelling all over the place yesterday)

I've added a blog post about the current situation (not too technical in language). <-link is on the left - click on the number next to blog entries.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone has a splitter trying removing it. Can give you a better signal at present.