Options

Veins in wrist are very light blue - which is unusual?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
Forum Member
Normally the veins in my wrist are darkish blue but haven't been feeling well today and just had a quick look out of curiosity and they're VERY prominent and like a slightly rich sky blue colour if that makes sense. I've done a google search which hasn't come up with anything. Anyone know if this is normal? I'm assuming it is but why would the colour change?

I'm having a blood test on Monday and have been feeling very dizzy today and keep losing my balance so I'm worried about fainting :o Last time I had a blood test she had to stick the needle in 3 times because she couldn't locate the vein :( I'm worried about the same thing happening again.. right now I can't see any veins where my elbow is so I'm really worried about it.. any tips?

Comments

• Options
    Cahoots~Cahoots~ Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    No. No tips. I've yet to find a pulse
  • Options
    ramblasramblas Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another day, another enthralling thread from Hannah...can't wait for tomorrow: 'my bogies aren't as green as normal, am I going to die?'
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;44855762']Normally the veins in my wrist are darkish blue but haven't been feeling well today and just had a quick look out of curiosity and they're VERY prominent and like a slightly rich sky blue colour if that makes sense. I've done a google search which hasn't come up with anything. Anyone know if this is normal? I'm assuming it is but why would the colour change?

I'm having a blood test on Monday and have been feeling very dizzy today and keep losing my balance so I'm worried about fainting :o Last time I had a blood test she had to stick the needle in 3 times because she couldn't locate the vein :( I'm worried about the same thing happening again.. right now I can't see any veins where my elbow is so I'm really worried about it.. any tips?

Yes, stop worrying. Don't borrow trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ramblas wrote: »
    Another day, another enthralling thread from Hannah...can't wait for tomorrow: 'my bogies aren't as green as normal, am I going to die?'

Funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sadoldbird wrote: »

Thanks but last time I had a blood test it was a nightmare:( ugh I guess I am worrying too much.
  • Options
    Cahoots~Cahoots~ Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Seriously Hannah, have you ever considered seeing someone about Hypochondria?
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    That's a good saying, I might just borrow it if that's okay with you.

Hannah, find something to take your mind off your health, you're beginning to sound obsessed with every little thing and that's even more unhealthy than a touch of anaemia (which isn't the least bit unusual)
    As for the blood test, you're not a phlebotomist, and if you were, you'd know that visually looking at the vein isn't the way to ascertain whether one is viable or not.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    sounds odd, I'd go to A&E just in case, let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds odd, I'd go to A&E just in case, let us know how you get on.

I sincerely hope this is a joke! The poor doctors and nurses are constantly overstretched, and it's no wonder if people turn up for things like this! It is NOT what a&e is for!:mad:
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Maybe phone NHS Direct and ask what they think.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I sincerely hope this is a joke! The poor doctors and nurses are constantly overstretched, and it's no wonder if people turn up for things like this! It is NOT what a&e is for!:mad:

are you telling someine with a potentially life-threatening illness to NOT go to hospital?!? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hannah;44856024']Thanks but last time I had a blood test it was a nightmare:( ugh I guess I am worrying too much.
    When it comes to blood tests, I'm a pansy too. We all have things we dislike or fear.

But getting all het up about it sure isn't going to help

So, my tecqnique with coping? Don't indulge the fear. Go la-la-la -la in your head till it goes away.

(And don't go looking for re-assuring answers on forums because they will never exist. Chances are they will only re-inforce your fears.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you telling someine with a potentially life-threatening illness to NOT go to hospital?!? :)

No, I'm saying the OP shouldn't go to hospital:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a good saying, I might just borrow it if that's okay with you.

Hannah, find something to take your mind off your health, you're beginning to sound obsessed with every little thing and that's even more unhealthy than a touch of anaemia (which isn't the least bit unusual)
    As for the blood test, you're not a phlebotomist, and if you were, you'd know that visually looking at the vein isn't the way to ascertain whether one is viable or not.
    Feel free. I borrowed it. The longer version is 'don't borrow trouble it will find you soon enough'.

(And it's a great saying and a great rule for life.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cahoots~ wrote: »

The doctor said that to me about 3 years ago because I used to go regularly but now I hate going, so no I dont think so but thanks anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never came across anyone in my life who constantly thinks there's something wrong with them as much as this OP.

This is the same person isn't it who lives on chocolate, has numerous headaches and dizzy spells.....all which is probably related to living on junk food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Maybe phone NHS Direct and ask what they think.
    I would but last time I phoned them they were very rude to me I guess I'll mention it to the nurse on monday when I'm having my blood test and see what they say.

By the way - does anyone know - would the nurse tell me my blood type? :confused:
    I asked my GP and he said he can't tell me because I've not got a life threatening condition, or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its all very well suggesting the OP is a hypochondriac, but none of you are qualified to do so.

Whatever your view of the content of the query, you risk encouraging them to ignore having a symptom checked out early. No GP is going to support that kind of intervention from a lay-person.

Irrespective of the history, that is not a sensible approach on an advice forum. Better to just keep out of the thread if it is not to your liking.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah;44856559']By the way - does anyone know - would the nurse tell me my blood type? :confused:
    I asked my GP and he said he can't tell me because I've not got a life threatening condition, or something.

Sorry, but I simply don't believe that a doctor wouldn't tell you what your blood group was, if he knew. A normal blood test wouldn't show it, though, you have to do blood typing. You only actually have to know your blood group if you're donating blood, or have to have a blood transfusion. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornslippy wrote: »
    Its all very well suggesting the OP is a hypochondriac, but none of you are qualified to do so.

Whatever your view of the content of the query, you risk encouraging them to ignore having a symptom checked out early. No GP is going to support that kind of intervention from a lay-person.

Irrespective of the history, that is not a sensible approach on an advice forum. Better to just keep out of the thread if it is not to your liking.

Alfie is a qualified nurse. And have 'you read the last paragraph of the OP's above?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think you may be misreading the OP and subsequent posts.

The OP is booked in for blood tests. That's a given. No-one is suggesting that she should not have the tests. It's her pre-blood test actions and attitudes that are being advised upon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cahoots~ wrote: »

In response to usual suspects - this ^^^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If someone has as many ailments as this OP makes out, then surely you'd get yourself seen too long before now.:confused:
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah;44856559']I would but last time I phoned them they were very rude to me I guess I'll mention it to the nurse on monday when I'm having my blood test and see what they say.

By the way - does anyone know - would the nurse tell me my blood type? :confused:
    Please don't phone NHS Direct and tell them the veins in your wrist are light blue instead of dark blue, I'm afraid they might be rude to you again.

Try posting your query on www.healthboards.com instead - that's a serious suggestion, not a joke.

And ask the practise nurse on Monday if she thinks you may have Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie is a qualified nurse. And have 'you read the last paragraph of the OP's above?

Err... thanks for that :confused:
This discussion has been closed.