Options

Flying Widde

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't see another thread about this - apologies if there is one and my eyes are broken.

Yet another gimmick.:rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1322719/Strictly-Come-Dancing-Ann-Widdecombe-flying-air--greatest-ease.html

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.M.G.
    :eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: no wonder she is wearing trousers this week!
    I'm losing the will to live with all the gimmicks this series :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.M.G.
    :eek::eek::eek:

My sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: no wonder she is wearing trousers this week!
    I'm losing the will to live with all the gimmicks this series :rolleyes:

Me too:eek::eek::confused::confused:. I thought lits weren't allowed, or is this classed as something else? Would they have allowed any of the other couples to do that?
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too:eek::eek::confused::confused:. I thought lits weren't allowed, or is this classed as something else? Would they have allowed any of the other couples to do that?

It seems to be a case of pretty much anything goes this year. A real pity, I think.

So far I have been rooting for Anne, as she seems to be making a real effort, but when I saw this I felt very disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know they have relaxed the rules this series meaning the couples don't have to spend as much time in hold - this may be an extension of that.

I don't like it - tacky and vote-grabbing IMO. Sadly I think the GBP will adore it and she'll be guaranteed entry into next week on the back of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann says:
    "I have no doubt I can pull it off because I'm not going higher than my comfort zone and when I come down out of the lift I'm on terra firma. And the more firmer, the less terror!"

Less terror for whom exactly?
  • Options
    DizzyspinsDizzyspins Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure about the flying either; I hadn't realised they'd relaxed the rules about how long they should be on hold as well.

Oh well, I can fast forward through her dance if I don't like the look of it after all, as I won't see it until next weekend.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dizzyspins wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the flying either; I hadn't realised they'd relaxed the rules about how long they should be on hold as well.

Oh well, I can fast forward through her dance if I don't like the look of it after all, as I won't see it until next weekend.

Aren't they mean to have at least one foot on the floor at all times?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Aren't they mean to have at least one foot on the floor at all times?:D

Yup, but that was conveniently overlooked during her 'salsa' too.

One rule for Ann, another for the rest of them?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of them have done full-on lifts this series already, I'm sure. I'm pretty certain Felicity and Michelle were being carried through those rumba moves half the time, and some of Aliona's moves have been more lift than not-lift.

Plus, wouldn't the need to have one foot on the floor have disqualified Kara's cartwheel and Matt's backflip? :D
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be a case of pretty much anything goes this year. A real pity, I think.

So far I have been rooting for Anne, as she seems to be making a real effort, but when I saw this I felt very disappointed.

Yes it is disappointing.
    I know they have relaxed the rules this series meaning the couples don't have to spend as much time in hold - this may be an extension of that.

I don't like it - tacky and vote-grabbing IMO. Sadly I think the GBP will adore it and she'll be guaranteed entry into next week on the back of it.

I do think it's vote grabbing, and I don't really like it either. I don't mind them introducing fun stuff, because to be honest, she won't be able to dance like the others, but this is a bit meh. I think your prediction is spot on as well.
  • Options
    franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Fair point Lorelei Lee! I think the difference is though that they weren't being supported by their partners at the time, otherwise every time a celeb jumped it would count as a lift.

I think it was meant to be that you're allowed to be supported by your partner so long as one toe is on the floor, but I'm not sure what the rule is now. I know that rule had been bent a few times this series but other than Ann's blatant lift, I think for most of the others if you're not looking too closely, the pros could argue that one toe was skimming the floor at all time. :D No idea what the rule is now though. It looks distinctly as though there isn't one. :( Oh, for the days when I rolled my eyes at Kenny's Scottish gimicks, which were limited to kilt-wearing and dancing to the Flower of Scotland, or whatever it was. Hate this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    One rule for Ann, another for the rest of them?:rolleyes:

I'm thinking "Lord of the Rings" now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidJames wrote: »
    I'm thinking "Lord of the Rings" now...

What, Ann as the Balrog?:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    Maybe the harness is just a training aid? I can't imagine they'd use it in the actual dance. It's not a circus after all - although some of the show dances make me wonder!
  • Options
    Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Remember Vincent and Flavia used the rope and harness in the Launch Show and it was suggested that it would be making another appearance during the series? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but V and F are tiny and elegant, and even they had difficulty.

I shudder to think what this is going to look like:eek:
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's becoming a very large Gidget the Flying Nun :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see it being that elegant!

At the moment I'm reminded of the time my neighbours had a crane to lift a large object over their roof into the back garden:eek::o

*runs out quickly, embarassed at my own rudeness*:o
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's this:
    Strapped into a harness, Miss Widdecombe will perform her Peter Pan impersonation, as part of the couple’s tango.

that raised my eyebrows.

Peter Pan? Tango? Miss Widdecombe?!!!?? :eek::eek:
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    It's this:

that raised my eyebrows.

Peter Pan? Tango? Miss Widdecombe?!!!?? :eek::eek:

I don't remember a Tango in either JM Barrie's book or the film??:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    rita1 wrote: »
    Maybe the harness is just a training aid? I can't imagine they'd use it in the actual dance. It's not a circus after all - although some of the show dances make me wonder!

In a interview this morning she says she is flying and has to to keep the bottom half of the harness on all the way through the dance, and its is uncomfortable

ferney
  • Options
    kassieqkassieq Posts: 3,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well look on the bright side, at least their tango isn't an homage to 'Last Tango in Paris' - see, flying doesn't seem so bad does it.
  • Options
    brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann was on 'this Morning' and she said that only the top half of the harness will be released and she will have to dance with the bottom half still on her - i must say i hate these gimmicks on the show this year - to be fair john sargeant didnt have any of this nonsense.

I thought all this stuff was kept for the show dance in the final i think they are making a farce out of this show now.