Options

Paranormal Activity 2

Comments

• Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the first movie was freaky enough - VERY well made.

The second one looks even worse lol - a dog? A baby? CAN YOU IMAGINE THE HORRFYING THINGS THEY CAN DO WITH THEM?!
    I've seen like a full length trailer for the second one and there's
    a scene in it where they're walking around the dark house with a handheld camera and they turn round and the demon woman thing is like right next to them in close up. I actully nearly crapped myself.
  • Options
    misterelimistereli Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like it's gonna use a lot of cheap scares to me. I really enjoyed PA, but I'm not looking forward to this one. Of course, I'll take a look, but I'm not expecting much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    The PA films are more entertaining in the cinema, in the darkness than at home in the daylight.

It looks like the makers have taken all the scary parts from the first movie and recreated them 100 times and stuffed it all in the 2nd one.

Ill still be watching it though
  • Options
    BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paranormal stuff scares me, so this type of movie is one that appeals. I enjoy your slasher based horror but this one plays more on what I'd consider frightening.

I think a lot of people prefer the guts and gore that Saw and Hostel offer, but that's more gross then it really is scary.

The idea of something you can't see freaks me out. It takes away every bit of control you have and that's where the fear lies. Blair witch scared me for the same reasons and I thought PA was excellent.

What I hope they haven't done is made this too hollywood. I don't want to 'see' the thing causing the problems - a glimpse is far more freaky then full on reveals. A shadow is more terrifying then seeing the physical form casting it. There will be much of the same though - shaky camera, night visions, doors opening and closing but I hope it will develop some of the first films concepts and not wrap it up with sugar.

I've only seen the original ending of PA but I believe the released version is far weaker.

Look forward to seeing some reviews once it's released next week
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    BBTIME wrote: »
    Paranormal stuff scares me, so this type of movie is one that appeals. I enjoy your slasher based horror but this one plays more on what I'd consider frightening.

I think a lot of people prefer the guts and gore that Saw and Hostel offer, but that's more gross then it really is scary.

The idea of something you can't see freaks me out. It takes away every bit of control you have and that's where the fear lies. Blair witch scared me for the same reasons and I thought PA was excellent.

... A shadow is more terrifying then seeing the physical form casting it...

...I've only seen the original ending of PA but I believe the released version is far weaker...

A kindred spirit! I think minimalism is far more effective in horror films for the reasons you very neatly wrote. When I was a kid, the original version of "The Haunting" used to really have a chilling effect on me and although you do see a few things, it's the noise and the reactions from the actors that helps to create the sense of terror. I recently watched it again for the first time in about 10 years and it still did the trick! Whether it is purely because you don't see physical forms or if it is a combination of things like a good director and cast I don't know but the minimalistic horrors seem to have more atmosphere.

I much prefer the original ending of PA too. I think it is far more eerie having Katie return to the bedroom and rock back and forth. The added bonus of only hearing the reaction of Katie's sister and not seeing what she sees is what makes this more effective in my opinion; minimalism, again, to a point!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked my local Cineworld listings and they're showing previews of PA2 this Thursday with it going on general release this Friday 22nd! Didn't realise it was even out this week!

I'm quite surprised, i thought it would have been out the following week, 29th which is much closer to Halloween.

It's 90mins long, looking forward to it!
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first movie genuinely freaked me out. I can't wait to see the second!
  • Options
    themcqthemcq Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Are they going to let the critics see it so they can review it? I've been looking forward to seeing this, the viral campaign has been very clever, but this is starting to smell like The Avengers. Hope i am wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showing previews today. Anyone going to see this?

I've read a couple of reviews and most are positive saying it's a much better film than the first. Better acted and much, much scarier!

From one critic:
    Paranormal Activity 2 will get inside your head and stay there.

If the first Paranormal Activity felt somewhat psychologically invasive, then this is full-blown mentally possessive. That's everything that fans and purveyors of "real" horror worldwide have been hoping for though. Paranormal Activity 2 delivers on every single promise that the first film made—and then some. Not only is it one of the scariest films of the year, it's one of the scariest films of all time.

This isn't just a film, this is another horror revolution. To reveal anymore would be a disservice, you need to let Paranormal Activity 2 possess you. Don't miss out, this is one everyone will be talking about.

All i can say is bring it on! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Going to watch it tonight at an 18+ late showing (11pm). I watched the original again last night and it still manages to creep me out, so if PA2 is even worse with the scares then i'm not expecting to get any sleep tonight, lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another critics's comments:
    Anyone who walks into "Paranormal Activity 2" skeptical would be well within their rights.

Think about it. The original, released theatrically last year, was a sort of lightning strike of indie inspiration, a shot-on-video film that used one house as a set and that managed to wring some real scares out of something as simple as two characters and some sound effects. Releasing a sequel a year later would seem to be a sign that the studio is cashing in, and that this is something for them to squeeze as quickly as they can. It's no stretch to imagine that whatever Paramount was rushing onto screens this year was going to be a pale imitation of the first, which was already a fairly lean little trick of a movie.

So how is the second one genuinely scary, and why do I feel like this is a near-perfect example of how to learn from a first film when building a second film?

....the basic fears are the most powerful ones precisely because they are hard-wired into us. The reason horror films are important is because we need a safe way to explore these things, and the best ones make us forget that we are safe, make us feel like we're right there, hanging out over oblivion, alone in the dark with only hungry sounds all around us. "Paranormal Activity 2" is as stark, as bleak, and as skilled as any horror film I've seen this year.

Really looking forward to this now!
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from it, really enjoyed it! Better than the first imo, but cant say too much without spoiling it, but the storyline was very clever, and some genuinely spooky moments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Watched this tonight too.... I need someone to talk to cause I ain't sleeping tonight.

PA2 is much better than the first, if you do watch it allow yourself to become attached to the characters and you'll really enjoy it..

Also - Star of the film is a PoolCleaning Robot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dj_jenns wrote: »
    PA2 is much better than the first, if you do watch it allow yourself to become attached to the characters and you'll really enjoy it..

Also - Star of the film is a PoolCleaning Robot

No spoilers please thank you! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought the film was much better than the first one. films dont bother me and make me scraed to sleep like with some people lol. but it definatly made me jump a couple of times
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just got back from seeing it, and i liked it, but i still prefer the original, although PA2 does come close. I think it'll be a better experience watching it at home as it will get inside your head more (the original is definitely a freakier experience at home).
    The bit that made me jump the most was easily the kitchen scene where all the cabinets fly open, i think everyone in the cinema was on the roof at that bit!

Overall its a surprisingly good sequel, i'd recommend it:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    All the early Reviews have been good! I'm off to see it tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    marc_uk wrote: »
    So what do you make of the 'Paranormal Activity 2' teaser ?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/at-the-movies/a235612/paranormal-activity-2-teaser-debuts.html

I enjoyed the first movie the second
    one looks good although the trailer
    does not give much away.

Does anyone know any plot details?

Roll on the full trailer :D

There was nothing special in it. It was just another sequel of the previous waste of 2-3 hours. 2 of watching movie, 1 of explaining it to others that it was not good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samortan wrote: »
    There was nothing special in it. It was just another sequel of the previous waste of 2-3 hours. 2 of watching movie, 1 of explaining it to others that it was not good.

Yet you failed to explain why you thought it wasn't good in your post:D

To be fair, if you thought the first film was a "waste" then I don't even know why you'd bother watching the sequel as the trailer pretty much shows it's going to be more of what the first film was about.

Personally I loved it. Enjoyed it more than the first and there were certainly moments where I felt like I was going to have to leave, NEVER been that scared at a film before
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I saw this last night and I have to say its the first horror film that actually scared me. :o I have seen loads over the years but I have never jumped as much in my life.

Fantastic film better than the original, and I found that creepy. A masterclass in suspense, brilliantly built up and kept you hanging on the edge of your seat.

Also the fantanstic audience last night helped, its the first film I have seen to make the whole cinema jump.

Very Very Enjoyable:D
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and I think whole audience practically cacked their pants at the
    kitchen doors & cupboards flying open

It does get genuinely quite creepy / unsettling in the last 40 minutes or so. A really surprisingly excellent sequel!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    geos wrote: »
    Me and I think whole audience practically cacked their pants at the
    kitchen doors & cupboards flying open

It does get genuinely quite creepy / unsettling in the last 40 minutes or so. A really surprisingly excellent sequel!

Thats the bit where the whole cinema jumped in unison, :D
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this today, didn't jump once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taz93 wrote: »

Good for you:rolleyes:

Let me guess, you're one of those people who actually tries to not let themselves get drawn into a horror movie for fear of looking like a wuss if it makes you jump?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »

wow, you're real tough ;)

I wish people would start to actually explain what they didn't like about a film or why they didn't do a certain thing whilst watching it (jump, laugh, be on the edge of their seat).

So here's the question, why didn't you jump? Did you feel the scares coming before they did? Could you not get into the feel of the film to let it draw you into the world?

Am I asking too much for some forum members to give actual reasons rather than five word answers :(