Options

Disabled DS Members - what's your disability?

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    I have spina bifida. I walk most of the time as I live in a bungalow so easy for me to get around. However use a wheelchair when out. (Also you could say supporting Newcastle may be a kinda handicap)

A sense of humour is a must for any disability, and I'm a Pompey fan so I can relate to your pain!
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kim1994 wrote: »
    My son is dyspraxic, diagnosed at about 11 years old after a long battle. His symptoms vary but routine helps. One thing that others find hard to comphrehend is that he can not automatically do things from logic or 'just work it out' and you need to physically show him. Once he has mastered it he is fine. He is also very literal and will follow instructions to the letter. I have noticed this when he cook, if it says 18 minutes he will cook it for 18 minutes but will not then look and decide if it needs a few minutes longer. He is in his first year at uni and we are very proud of him

What I find most of all is I have very poor short term memory. Ask me a question and I have a tendency to just lose my mind. Freeze. Gone. So I put absolutely everything into whatever I do. And just practice till i've got it right. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    sweetpea09 wrote: »
    [/B]

Not sure I agree with this because it's a personal thing. Some aspies see themselves as disabled. and that they have a disability, some like me, just see it as a different way of being. I'm not differentiating myself from other aspies/autistic people (I'm not sure, is that what you're saying?) I'm saying for me, when I do tell people that I'm different, that I'm aspie, it's not an apology, it's just paving the way for an easier interaction.

I know I didn't explain it very well. Basically, I've only recenlty shifted slightly from the same POV you have- and it is slightly- the only difference is that I'm starting to accept the disability tag rather than reject it. Not because I think a neurodiverse mindset is something lesser or something to be cured or 'grown out of' because I don't, but because I don't think disability is a horrible tag to be avoided at all costs either. I support disability rights, and I personally think it would be a bit hypocritical to claim that disabled people aren't worth less while at the same time getting angry at getting classed as having a disability myself.

I also think that a lot of disabilities are caused mainly by society, and AS would come under that bracket. AS isn't in itself disabling- I agree there- but society does often make it so, and it is far from unique in this case. There are a lot of people who have other conditions that operate this way, yet don't reject the disability label. I think at some point I just thought "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me."

So for me it isn't about "AS is a disability because it's bad', it's more 'It's OK to call AS a disability, because disabilities aren't shameful or bad.'

But I see your point exactly. It's all good. :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    kim1994 wrote: »
    My son is dyspraxic, diagnosed at about 11 years old after a long battle. His symptoms vary but routine helps. One thing that others find hard to comphrehend is that he can not automatically do things from logic or 'just work it out' and you need to physically show him. Once he has mastered it he is fine. He is also very literal and will follow instructions to the letter. I have noticed this when he cook, if it says 18 minutes he will cook it for 18 minutes but will not then look and decide if it needs a few minutes longer. He is in his first year at uni and we are very proud of him

congrats on your son doing well at uni. It is a fantastic achievement and it took me a very long time to get to uni but I found it easier in my thirties and got my science degree with honours in 2007.

I have to say "why?" and "what happens if?" when people explain things to me. Simple things often lead to deeper issues with me with things that I see that need clarifying and what others do not see.

I have been called "difficult" due to this. People don't understand invisible disabilities and the inability to make certain connections.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm colourblind, if it counts...
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    congrats on your son doing well at uni. It is a fantastic achievement and it took me a very long time to get to uni but I found it easier in my thirties and got my science degree with honours in 2007.

I have to say "why?" and "what happens if?" when people explain things to me. Simple things often lead to deeper issues with me with things that I see that need clarifying and what others do not see.
    I have been called "difficult" due to this. People don't understand invisible disabilities and the inability to make certain connections.

Yes, my lad does that too. He is coming home tomorrow and we are now explaining about catching a train and changing at Bristol to him. The sort of questions are 'what do I do if the train is late' 'will I sit on the same seat in the 2nd train' 'what if someone is sat in my seat'. It throws him if we change something. When we went on holiday a couple of years ago we had originally decided to go to Croatia but changed our minds and booked for Portugal. We had not specifically told him but had discussed it with family when he was present. He did not realise to we had got to Portugal when he said 'I did not know Croatians spoke Portugese':D bless
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Another spina bifida.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »
    I know I didn't explain it very well. Basically, I've only recenlty shifted slightly from the same POV you have- and it is slightly- the only difference is that I'm starting to accept the disability tag rather than reject it. Not because I think a neurodiverse mindset is something lesser or something to be cured or 'grown out of' because I don't, but because I don't think disability is a horrible tag to be avoided at all costs either. I support disability rights, and I personally think it would be a bit hypocritical to claim that disabled people aren't worth less while at the same time getting angry at getting classed as having a disability myself.

I also think that a lot of disabilities are caused mainly by society, and AS would come under that bracket. AS isn't in itself disabling- I agree there- but society does often make it so, and it is far from unique in this case. There are a lot of people who have other conditions that operate this way, yet don't reject the disability label. I think at some point I just thought "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me."

So for me it isn't about "AS is a disability because it's bad', it's more 'It's OK to call AS a disability, because disabilities aren't shameful or bad.'

But I see your point exactly. It's all good. :)

I understand your point now. I don't know, I think I'm quite ambivalent to the whole notion of disability - it's neither good or bad, it just is, if you see what I mean. You may be blind but if a sightless world is all you know, is it necessarily a disability? It may be to a sighted person who is comparing that world to the one they know, so to me, it's a relative thing. I also find the 'disability label' a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy - many people view it as being a 'lesser' way of being, and getting tagged with it actually influences the way people with these labels view themselves, when really, like you said, it's just a different way of living one's life.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acute Atopic Eczema, whilst it may sound pretty lame it is in fact quite limiting because I have a 75% cover rate and sometimes my body is constantly bleeding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Acute Atopic Eczema, whilst it may sound pretty lame it is in fact quite limiting because I have a 75% cover rate and sometimes my body is constantly bleeding.

Of course it doesn't sound lame. :( Clinical conditions don't have to be featured in soap operas to prove their worth.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turquoise is so young but every time I read his posts he gives me summat new. If he was my son, I can't tell you how proud I'd be.

I wasn't even going to post in here as I don't think anyone will be interested in my impairments but feel I should now.

I'm dis-abled by societies social and material structures.

My Impairments are:
    Scoliosis
    Arthritis
    Degenerative discs
    Prolapsed discs
    A knee that now defies gravity and is veering off of its own accord! :D
    Moderate deafness.
  • Options
    KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Turquoise is so young but every time I read his posts he gives me summat new. If he was my son, I can't tell you how proud I'd be.

I wasn't even going to post in here as I don't think anyone will be interested in my impairments but feel I should now.

I'm dis-abled by societies social and material structures.

My Impairments are:
    Scoliosis
    Arthritis
    Degenerative discs
    Prolapsed discs
    A knee that now defies gravity and is veering off of its own accord! :D
    Moderate deafness.

I doubt anyone's not interested...it's sometimes hard to say the right words, if you know what I mean?

Are the prolapsed discs a result of the degeneration?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »
    I doubt anyone's not interested...it's sometimes hard to say the right words, if you know what I mean?

Are the prolapsed discs a result of the degeneration?

Just double whammies (sp) they're not related.

One of the DS meets meets in Brum, nobody would have known, as I was hobbling along on my stick with my pub-radar working overtime! :D, It's afterwards, and for quite a while I suffer.
    The deafness is separate, I manage that so well most people would NEVER know.

Not that I hide it by any means, I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about being deaf, just that it's not always perceptible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just double whammies (sp) they're not related.

One of the DS meets meets in Brum, nobody would have known, as I was hobbling along on my stick with my pub-radar working overtime! :D, It's afterwards, and for quite a while I suffer.
    The deafness is separate, I manage that so well most people would NEVER know.

Not that I hide it by any means, I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about being deaf, just that it's not always perceptible.

that is for sure a double whammy, prolapsed and degenerative discs....the pain must be somewhat awful

does physio make any difference?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    I'm colourblind, if it counts...

In the face of the thead, not really. I have dyscalculia.

Doesn't affect my day to day life.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretending I have leprosy always seems more exciting than real ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is for sure a double whammy, prolapsed and degenerative discs....the pain must be somewhat awful

does physio make any difference?

No, the head physio in the Royal (Liverpool) told me when I was 32, there was nowt they could do.
    I'm 46 now.

I'm ok though, I need a walking stick outside the house and I've always taught disability inclusion so I have a job that suits me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thalidomide is used to treat leprosy. My mum took it with me but it made her sick.

I still think that's why my knee's 'deformed'.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Awaits next joke.

Can't you just let people get on with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get on with what, picking up my fingers? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the head physio in the Royal (Liverpool) told me when I was 32, there was nowt they could do.
    I'm 46 now.

I'm ok though, I need a walking stick outside the house and I've always taught disability inclusion so I have a job that suits me :)

You are/will be okay, you have more strength and courage in your little finger than I would ever have..

Wasn't thalidomide linked to birth defects, Joni?

edit: nite joni, go to sleep you night owl, you!! xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Get on with what, picking up my fingers? :confused:

I don't even know what that means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tribade wrote: »
    I don't even know what that means.

fingers??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »

I'm starting to break out as we speak. I'm itchy in several parts of my body, despite the use steroidal cream and emollients.
    You have my sympathy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are/will be okay, you have more strength and courage in your little finger than I would ever have..

Wasn't thalidomide linked to birth defects, Joni?

edit: nite joni, go to sleep you night owl, you!! xx

Yep. Hence the derogatory term Biffs.