Comments

• Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »
    Any details of how many buy licences they don't need

Why does it matter how many :confused:

Surely the fact people are being mislead, with a view to them buying one, is enough :confused:

Do you think it would be acceptable, for me to send out fake invoices, provided nobody/a tiny number fell for it and paid them :confused:
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Maybe we are talking about a different case, because the video I saw didn't have the reg blurred out :confused:

Either way, I think it's a bit rich to moan about TVL people being identified, when TVL plaster their envelopes with statements that imply, to anyone who happens to see them, that you owe them money.

And let's not forget their "There are 38 houses in ***** Street, without a TV Licence" billboards.

So you agree with a persons identity being illegally obtained from the DVLA?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you agree with a persons identity being illegally obtained from the DVLA?

No, but I still think it's a bit rich, for people to moan about it, given the way TVL treat LLF households.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member
    Getting his address from DVLA sounds slightly illegal.

Not just slightly if it was obtained by someone abusing their access to the DVLA computer system.

Depending on exactly what was done it is potentially
    Computer misuse - using it for a reason not authorised by the employer/for personal reasons.
    Misconduct/potentially gross misconduct - it's almost certainly against the terms of employment to use the system for personal reasons (regardless of the law).
    That's if it was a DVLA employees.

Breach of the DVLA T&C for access (if it was obtained by someone who had access as say a parking enforcement officer working for one of the companies the patrols the likes of Tesco's carpark), which in theory could result in the company whose system was abused losing their automated access to the DVLA (meaning they'd have to pay a lot more for the information).
    Possibly even classed as theft, if it was a third part company - iirc it costs per access.

Data Protection breach regardless of who did it, if they did not have a legitimate (as defined in law) requirement to access the details of the vehicle in regards to tracking them down for a crime, or motoring reason (what's the maximum fine for DPA breaches these days? quite a lot from memory).

It's funny how it's fine for the "TVLA resistance" or whatever to use methods that they certainly have zero legal right to to further their agenda, but it's not ok for the TVL people to use the limited powers they have to enforce a legal requirement.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Not just slightly if it was obtained by someone abusing their access to the DVLA computer system.

Depending on exactly what was done it is potentially
    Computer misuse - using it for a reason not authorised by the employer/for personal reasons.
    Misconduct/potentially gross misconduct - it's almost certainly against the terms of employment to use the system for personal reasons (regardless of the law).
    That's if it was a DVLA employees.

Breach of the DVLA T&C for access (if it was obtained by someone who had access as say a parking enforcement officer working for one of the companies the patrols the likes of Tesco's carpark), which in theory could result in the company whose system was abused losing their automated access to the DVLA (meaning they'd have to pay a lot more for the information).
    Possibly even classed as theft, if it was a third part company - iirc it costs per access.

Data Protection breach regardless of who did it, if they did not have a legitimate (as defined in law) requirement to access the details of the vehicle in regards to tracking them down for a crime, or motoring reason (what's the maximum fine for DPA breaches these days? quite a lot from memory).

It's funny how it's fine for the "TVLA resistance" or whatever to use methods that they certainly have zero legal right to to further their agenda, but it's not ok for the TVL people to use the limited powers they have to enforce a legal requirement.

Yes, it's funny, isn't it?

Anyone would think the usual 5 or 6 posters only had one issue in life.......
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member
    No, but I still think it's a bit rich, for people to moan about it, given the way TVL treat LLF households.

There is an old saying, two wrongs don't make a right.

There is also the very slight legal difference, in that the TVL have a duty imposed upon them from the government to check and enforce the licence fee.

That is slightly different to a vigilante type action abusing their access to computer systems (potentially in serious breach of their terms of employment, let alone the law).

It's the sort of thing that can easily come back to bite someone in the butt, as the DVLA should be logging every request for data, in which case it's a fairly simple case for them to in theory find out every access for a particular driver or registration mark, giving them the access method and who (or what organisation) accessed it.

If the system has a proper audit trail* it would probably take an admin a matter of minutes to find out whose account was used.

*But it's a government IT project so it probably doesn't have any of the best practice for data security systems implemented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is also the very slight legal difference, in that the TVL have a duty imposed upon them from the government to check and enforce the licence fee.

Do they also have a duty to imply, to my postman, etc., that I'm watching TV without a licence :confused:
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does it matter how many :confused:

Surely the fact people are being mislead, with a view to them buying one, is enough :confused:

Do you think it would be acceptable, for me to send out fake invoices, provided nobody/a tiny number fell for it and paid them :confused:

It matters, IMO, because it's a complete red herring to bang on about the possibility of people being misled if no-one actually is being misled.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they also have a duty to imply, to my postman, etc., that I'm watching TV without a licence :confused:

Has it occurrd to you that your postman might actually be smart enough to grasp what it is that tvl are actually doing?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that your postman might actually be smart enough to grasp what it is that tvl are actually doing?

And has it occurred to you, that postmen occasionally put mail through the wrong door :confused:

Hence why I said "my postman, etc.".

Suppose one of those letters were to be mis-delivered, and end up on the doormat of one of my neighbours.

Howe long do you think it would be, before my being a TV Licence "evader" was common knowledge :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It matters, IMO, because it's a complete red herring to bang on about the possibility of people being misled if no-one actually is being misled.

So it'd be OK for me to send out fake invoices, provided nobody falls for it and pays them :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And has it occurred to you, that postmen occasionally put mail through the wrong door :confused:

Hence why I said "my postman, etc.".

Suppose one of those letters were to be mis-delivered, and end up on the doormat of one of my neighbours.

Howe long do you think it would be, before my being a TV Licence "evader" was common knowledge :confused:

again, I'm not sure why you think your neighbours are too dim to appreciate what's going on, or that you live in a neighbourhood of such judgemental people.

but I think you're really scraping the barrel with this argument.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it'd be OK for me to send out fake invoices, provided nobody falls for it and pays them :confused:

Firstly, tvl don't send out fake invoices.

Secondly, people would recognise tvl as a known organisation.

what would your fake invoices be for?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, tvl don't send out fake invoices.

No, they publish misleading adverts instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why you think your neighbours are too dim to appreciate what's going on, or that you live in a neighbourhood of such judgemental people.

I think you have a somewhat naive idea of human nature.

If you weren't clued up about what TVL letters actually mean, and THIS or THIS landed on your doormat, addressed to a neighbour, can you honestly say you wouldn't think your neighbour was watching TV without a licence :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the first one looks like a fairly standard reminder that your tv licence might be up for renewal.

the second looks like the sort of thing that people will only receive after ignoring earlier letters.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

if you think they publish misleading adverts, what was the whole fake invoices thing all about?

either way, which adverts, how are they misleading, and what consequences are you aware of resulting from this misinformation?

Iain
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    u006852 wrote: »
    Which is why they don't claim they have right of entry so please stop your usual word games trying to imply there is something unlawful going on when there isn't.
    I'm not trying to imply anything - and your response suggests you haven't read the post I was responding to.
    They are enforcing the licensing system which includes the licensing laws.
    There is (in law) no licensing system. And there is only one "licensing law".
    There is nothing to take responsibility for as there is nothing unlawful going on. The spin you apply is hilarious!
    There is no spin. The facts speak for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fair enough - although i'd say that the site more specifically revolves around a commonly held desire to take action against a specific thing, compared to, say, DS.

i did find it slightly amusing to read that Sao Paulo had been - presumably permanently - from the other Resistance, and so joined / formed a splinter faction. very People's Front of Judea.
    The other forum is a little slower and more studious than the one run by Sao Paulo. I think they both have their place.
    i did also read a comment by yourself about how what prevents serious debate is the likes of myself, Mossy, mikw.
    And do you think that's unfair comment?
    however, i'd say what actually stifles prevents serious debate is the attitude and posting style of various members of those sites, who quite openly encourage each other to bait and troll on DS.
    Isn't this a public forum? If you object to the tone / content of a particular post, then the mods can take action.
    OK - i just wondered if the Resistance had a particular code of practice.
    I'm pretty sure there is no "Resistance" outside of a few people participating in an on-line forum. If there is, I'm not a member, nor have I ever been invited to join.
    that given his apparent views, he would seem the sort of person who might well be a member of The Resistance?
    And yet, he's not a member of the forum, at least not by that name. Didn't stop you from implying he was, though.
    sounds more like a public threat of actual bodily harm more like.
    Youtube should remove it, then. Perhaps they are satisfied that it is a mis-judged attempt at irony.
    OK - its difficult to tell amongst all the childish banter about BBC scum, BBC loving scum and the paranoid nonsense about who apparently works for the BBC.
    It's a lively forum, and some people are clearly angry. As I said, my views are some way left of the consensus, there, so I really wouldn't want to comment on any particular detail, and I wouldn't necessarily agree with it.
    i don't know if its an over reaction - it certainly did sound threatening. an idle threat from someone behind a keyboard no doubt, but an threat nonetheless.
    I'm not going to defend it. My whole issue with "TVL" is their lack of respect for the law.
    especially as they'd gone as far as tracking down, and publicly posting the guys name and car registration.
    Or was the registration taken from a video?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an old saying, two wrongs don't make a right.

No they don't. There is no such legislation, nor any text in the Charter to support your assertion.

As I've said several times in the past: I would have thought that any such written remit would prove fairly decisive to this debate. And yet, it's never been posted. The obvious conclusion (supported by various other bits of evidence) is that it doesn't exist, and "TVL" is the mis-judged, messy and shameful result of the BBC "trying it on".

And for the pedants on the forum: yes, I still believe it to be unlawful.

That is slightly different to a vigilante type action abusing their access to computer systems (potentially in serious breach of their terms of employment, let alone the law).

It's the sort of thing that can easily come back to bite someone in the butt, as the DVLA should be logging every request for data, in which case it's a fairly simple case for them to in theory find out every access for a particular driver or registration mark, giving them the access method and who (or what organisation) accessed it.

If the system has a proper audit trail* it would probably take an admin a matter of minutes to find out whose account was used.
    I think you're making the somewhat unwise assumption that the person did actually have the "TVL" person's address. It seems more likely that it was another bit of mis-judged bravado.
    ... but it's not ok for the TVL people to use the limited powers they have to enforce a legal requirement.
    Limited powers - and what would they be? They have no special powers beyond those of a normal citizen (save for the Search Warrant stuff that they don't routinely use).
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Oh, come on, surely you can understand them?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The other forum is a little slower and more studious than the one run by Sao Paulo. I think they both have their place.

i'm not convinced a forum where the regular posters seem to do little more than talk about BBC scum, post paranoid rants about how people who disagree with their views must work for the BBC scum, and generally encourage and applaud fellow members for trolling other forums has that much of a place.

what (constructive) place do you feel it has?
    And do you think that's unfair comment?

yes, i do actually.

given that myself, and others you choose to mention, post reasonable, politely and fairly articulately, i do think it unfair for you to say that that stifles debate.

especially given the attitudes, posting style and self confessed trolling of some posters on the other side of the discussion.
    Isn't this a public forum? If you object to the tone / content of a particular post, then the mods can take action.

it wasn't the tone i was objecting to per se. i was objecting to where you choose to lay the blame for a lack of constructive debate.
    I'm pretty sure there is no "Resistance" outside of a few people participating in an on-line forum. If there is, I'm not a member, nor have I ever been invited to join.

my mistake - i assumed the Resistance was some kind of actual Resistance. so is it simply a forum for people to vent their spleens about BBC scum?
    And yet, he's not a member of the forum, at least not by that name. Didn't stop you from implying he was, though.

given that the guy said this :

'The BBC Resistance movement work hard behind the scenes to find out the names and addresses of these trespassers. This guy was very easy to find because we have members who work for the DVLA.'

i'm finding it disingenuous of you to suggest that i cynically tried to suggest something that wasn't so.

if you want to conclude that he isn't a member, just because he has a different username, that's up to you.
    Youtube should remove it, then. Perhaps they are satisfied that it is a mis-judged attempt at irony.

perhaps they are.
    It's a lively forum, and some people are clearly angry. As I said, my views are some way left of the consensus, there, so I really wouldn't want to comment on any particular detail, and I wouldn't necessarily agree with it.

I'm not going to defend it. My whole issue with "TVL" is their lack of respect for the law.

nonetheless, its difficult to take any serious points raised there when they're surrounded by, essentially, paranoid rantings of the puerile and childish.
    Or was the registration taken from a video?

well, it appears to be blurred out in the video.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first one looks like a fairly standard reminder that your tv licence might be up for renewal.

It doesn't say it might be up for renewal.

It says renewal overdue, as if that were a proven fact.
    the second looks like the sort of thing that people will only receive after ignoring earlier letters.

And, because someone has ignored earlier letters (actually one earlier letter - that was the very next one, after the "Important Reminder) it's OK to imply, completely without evidence, that someone is breaking the law :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you think they publish misleading adverts, what was the whole fake invoices thing all about?

It was suggested that misleading adverts don't matter, if nobody falls for them, so I asked if the same would apply to fake invoices, ie. does it matter if I send them, if nobody falls for them :confused:
    either way, which adverts

THIS ONE, for a start
    how are they misleading

I think that's pretty obvious.
    and what consequences are you aware of resulting from this misinformation?

That people may buy a licence they don't need.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    That people may buy a licence they don't need.

Do they? There is no evidence that people do is there?