Options

Norwich! What's it Like?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    A newcomer :D

Haven't been to Rackheath, but if it's anything like Salhouse then it'll be lovely. Most of the smallish places dotted outside the built up area are nice and countrysidey.
  • Options
    SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ipswich is better.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove through Rackheath this afternoon. :)

It's a bit large to call a village, but basically a settlement separated by a mile or so of countryside from the outskirts of the Norwich suburbs. The Norwich to Sheringham railway line goes through it and there are three level crossings.

However, there is a major housing development planned, involving the building of several thousand 'eco-homes' which will make it much larger and presumably change the area considerably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rackheath_Eco-town

http://www.rackheatheco-community.com/over_sustain.php
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thanks all for your quick replies - much appreciated! We're spending Saturday night sampling the nightlife then viewing houses on Sunday so hopefully will know where we'll be by Monday!

And I've been a long-time lurker to Digital Spy, been meaning to sign up for ages, but this thread finally convinced me!

Sean
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, Sean of the Dead. :)

Rackheath is nice. As well as the eco home development, you may want to bear in mind the proposed Northern Distributor Road...not sure if this will go ahead with the coalition's spending review, though.

I am quite familiar with Sprowston and Old Catton. You may wish to consider Hellesdon as well, which sits between Old Catton & Costessey. Costessey seems to be a more affordable area in general terms but it seems more like a longer ride into the City Centre from this area. Thorpe. St Andrew (to the South/East of Sprowston) is worth considering too but it is a bit more expensive for some reason. :confused:

Mousehold Heath is more central and it has a mix of private and council housing. There is a Homeless People's Hostel that is likely to be built on Crome Rd/Dibden Rd, so bear that in mind.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    The local radio has gone downhill somewhat. I forget the name of the DJ, but he had absolute classic games and sayings, like;

- Cockle-Doodle-Whoooo
    - Spreken ze deutsch und listen to Kraftwerk
    - UpperthaPartridge.
    - Ruddy hell, it's Soft Cell!

I think he tried crossing over into tele, not sure how he got on though.

Other than that, Norwich tends to be farmer friendly.

O.M.G. Look what I've found on t'interweb. This
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    People are mentioning parts of Norwich which are not quite so nice but compared to "not so nice" parts of most major UK cities, I can tell you that Norwich is way, way down on the list of places where you might not feel safe.

Spot on.

I was born in Norwich and have lived here all my life. It's a very safe place to be and pretty quiet even in the city centre compared to other cities.

Night life if you want it is plentiful - nightclubs and plenty of pubs, restaurants and cinemas (Riverside is buzzing of an evening). The Castle Museum dominates the city centre rather impressively and is a great place to visit. The new (ish) library (The forum) is right in the centre of the shops - mainly pedestrianised and houses Pizza Express, a coffee shop plus BBC East.

I live 10 miles south of Norwich and can get in the centre within half an hour (and parked). Parking is relatively cheap compared with other cities and only gets congested near Christmas. There are plenty of park and rides around the outskirts.

As for accommodation, some of the dodgy areas mentioned aren't really 'bad' just not as nice as others, so don't worry too much. In my childhood I lived in Thorpe St. Andrew which is nice, but it can get congested from the east getting into Norwich city centre of a weekday morning and evening (commuter traffic). If you choose somewhere south of the city it's quieter. Perhaps if you want a village location, Mulbarton is only a few miles south and just off the A140 which will take you straight in, past the college and right into the very centre - doddle !

Public transport, ie. buses are generally ok. Living where I do, they are every half an hour but then that's because i'm 10 miles out. In the outlying suburbs (Thorpe, Sprowston, Heartsease, Bowthorpe etc) they are much more frequent. All tend to route direct to the bus station which is again, right in the centre.

Anyhoo, hope you're really happy here; am sure you will be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thank you all again for your detailed responses. Really appreciate it.

My wife was wondering if there is any area that is 'younger' - ie young couples/young families - not studently (we're both in our mid-late twenties)..

We can't wait for our night out tomorrow and then house-hunting all Sunday! :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My wife was wondering if there is any area that is 'younger' - ie young couples/young families - not studently (we're both in our mid-late twenties)..

The Riverside is a good area for couples/families. It has several bars and restaurants, plus the Odeon cinema. There is also a bowling alley and nightclub but they have been shut for a while due to repair issues. Plus, as the name suggests, the area is based along side the River Wensum.
  • Options
    MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allyackles wrote: »
    The Riverside is a good area for couples/families. It has several bars and restaurants, plus the Odeon cinema. There is also a bowling alley and nightclub but they have been shut for a while due to repair issues. Plus, as the name suggests, the area is based along side the River Wensum.

Only during the day though, after dark it descends into the seventh circle of hell like its neighbour, Prince of Wales Road.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to move out that way once my mortgage is paid off what are average salaries like for office workers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Far more accurately Norwich was once famous for 365 pubs, I guarantee you there are no where near that number now. A year ago the figure was 140 but since then more have closed and it is now probably nearer 130.

That's sad. I spent a lot of time in Norwich in the early 80s after a friend of mine moved there, and I loved the huge range of pubs. My favourite was a tiny little place called The Vine, that had a zinc-topped bar, but we used to go to the Ferry Boat a lot as it was just round the corner from my friend's house.

If it's only half as nice as it was, it'll still be a great place to live. I must go up there for a weekend and see if I still like it as much.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBitch wrote: »
    That's sad. I spent a lot of time in Norwich in the early 80s after a friend of mine moved there, and I loved the huge range of pubs. My favourite was a tiny little place called The Vine, that had a zinc-topped bar, but we used to go to the Ferry Boat a lot as it was just round the corner from my friend's house.

If it's only half as nice as it was, it'll still be a great place to live. I must go up there for a weekend and see if I still like it as much.

I think The Vine is still going it closed for a bit about 3 years ago but opened again. The Ferry Boat is a different story closed about 4 years ago and it was announced a few months back it was to turn into on eco-hostel — Linky — http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/broads/live/authority/meetings/planning-committee/2010/10-08/%5Breport%5D%20Consultation%20on%20Planning%20Application%20in%20Norwich-%20Hostel%20on%20King%20Street%20Norwich.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Would love to move out that way once my mortgage is paid off what are average salaries like for office workers

Salaries are not great, I'm afraid! I'm considering non-supervisor level office work at the moment and its about £13k a year...£14k+ if you're lucky. :(

Avoid Prince of Wales Road/Riverside after 8pm as it gets chav-tastic around there after then. Some nice evening eateries, pubs and bars are around the St. Andrews Street/Timber Hill/Fye Bridge St/Wensum St/Tombland. :)
  • Options
    Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Spot on.

I was born in Norwich and have lived here all my life. It's a very safe place to be and pretty quiet even in the city centre compared to other cities.

I live 10 miles south of Norwich and can get in the centre within half an hour (and parked). Parking is relatively cheap compared with other cities and only gets congested near Christmas. There are plenty of park and rides around the outskirts.
    QUOTE]

We must be quite close! I moved from Hellesdon to 5 miles south of Norwich 10 weeks ago. Fantastic! Hellesdon's not too bad, but the traffic was awful. Being South makes it so much easier to get everywhere. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pearl McG wrote: »
    Hellesdon's not too bad, but the traffic was awful. Being South makes it so much easier to get everywhere. :D

Middletons Lane & Drayton High Road junction - gaaah! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    Middletons Lane & Drayton High Road junction - gaaah! :eek:

Exactly! Add Cromer Road to the mix and you're stranded. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    sparks in the park or the showground... yearly firework dilemma ! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot on.

QUOTE]

We must be quite close! I moved from Hellesdon to 5 miles south of Norwich 10 weeks ago. Fantastic! Hellesdon's not too bad, but the traffic was awful. Being South makes it so much easier to get everywhere. :D

Just saw this, Newton or Tasburgh by any chance ? :D

Agreed. Straight in on the A140 right into the centre. A doddle unless you get stuck behind a tractor !
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Difficult to say these days. I used to think I lived in a block of flats that was for young couples/families but theres at least two flats on my floor with students in them. Rent must be £600pm so not sure how they can afford it. Perhaps thats cheaper than the halls.
  • Options
    MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's probably a bit late to respond now, but Bowthorpe was nice when I was a kid with mostly young couples & families, not sure about now but might be worth a look.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just saw this, Newton or Tasburgh by any chance ? :D

Agreed. Straight in on the A140 right into the centre. A doddle unless you get stuck behind a tractor !

Poringland! Straight out on the B1332, ten minutes out of Norwich. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Poringland! Straight out on the B1332, ten minutes out of Norwich. :D

Howdee neighbour - or nearly :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, no, no.

greetings from ipswich. ;D

its a nice place dude, just dont leave, the A14 is terrible, almost as if they want to keep you out! haha:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member

The Golden Triangle isn't just students, there are quite a few young families/couples here too! We're in the GT, paying £550 pcm for a standard terrace, but we have a bay window and a big back garden. Close to the city, close to all the lovely shops on Unthank Road.

I'm Norwich born and bred, just moved back in February after 12 years away, and I'm loving being back here. Norwich is small enough to be friendly, but big enough to have plenty going on. IMO NR2 & NR4 are the nicest areas, but I'd say there are no really *bad* areas (although I wouldn't move to Larkman, Heartsease, or Mile Cross!).