Options

T' Yorkshire myth

JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
Forum Member
Grates with me when people impersonating yarkshire slang just throw in few (( 't )))s instead of word "the"

Spent my childhood talking Yorkshire slang, they/we dont say the word "the" *at all* - it just doesn't exist in Yorkshire slang

When they/we say ( t' ), it replaces "to" (not 'the')

e.g.

"Will you wash the car?" = "Will you wash car?" (see! no 'the' and no t')

"I'm going to the shop" = "I'm going t' shop" (t' replaces 'to' not 'the' - we just dont say 'the' at all)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it strange when the way you speak is so drastically different from the way you write?
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Grates with me when people impersonating yarkshire slang

Yarkshire? A deliberate slip of the tongue there? :D
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn, ave been doin it wrong all this time!
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grates with me when people impersonating yarkshire slang just throw in few (( 't )))s instead of word "the"

Spent my childhood talking Yorkshire slang, they/we dont say the word "the" *at all* - it just doesn't exist in Yorkshire slang

e.g.

"I'm going to the shop" = "I'm going t' shop" (t' replaces 'to' not 'the' - we just dont say 'the' at all)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I know what you're saying.

The main problem, I see, is that people try to pronounce 't'' as a word on its own, whereas it really just tags onto the word before.

e.g 'I'm going down t'shops' is pronounced 'I'm going downt shops', not 'I'm going down tuh shops'.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luxury , when I were a lad we could not afford t so we had to grind up mud for a brew.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So "Fifteen of us in t'shoe box in t'middle of t'road" doesn't work? :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP i think it depends which part of "Yorkshire" your talking about,

i grew up in the northernmost part of North Yorkshire and we seem to speak in a similar manner to what you described, however as theres a mix of teesside, county Durham and a fair bit of geordie thrown in its completely different yo what people a few miles away speak.

i think if you look at "yorkshire" as a whole there is many many different dialects, people just add the 't thing as its common in some of the cities.

p.s. i hate it being called Yorkshire, hence the use of " " in my posts, im from North Yorkshire, those that are from the other parts of "Yorkshire" might as well be from Mars ;):D
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does exist, but only in certain areas.
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I come from (kirklees) it was more like 'I'm go-int shop', but our next door neighbours were from barnsley and their accent was distinctly different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiki says you come from Hull. Did wiki get it right?
    Speakers of other forms of English often find it difficult to hear, especially the 'glottal' forms that affect the pitch and duration and voice quality of surrounding words and sounds in subtle ways. This often leads to claims that the article is absent, but this is rarely the case. True absence of the article may occur in the east of the DAR area around Kingston upon Hull.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definite_article_reduction
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im sat talking to myself now trying to work it out!

best i can manage in writing is to say this line:

"im off tut pub to see the lads" or "ill see you int pub"

its difficult to put into writing....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    Wiki says you come from Hull. Did wiki get it right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definite_article_reduction

see im from nowhere near Hull yet its similar in some aspects, in that article it mentions a beer called "T'owd Tup" (The Old Ram) - where im from it would be more like "T'awd Tup" or "T'aud Tup".
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

e.g.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

There are huge regional differences - I was born in Bradford and lived there for 50 years. I still lapse into speaking like Geordiesi has written and nothing like your example.

I'm off tut shops so I'd best go wait fort bus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I know what you're saying.

The main problem, I see, is that people try to pronounce 't'' as a word on its own, whereas it really just tags onto the word before..

not really

They/We are just excluding the word 'the' *all together* - because that's what Yorkshire people do - we're actually saying

"I'm going down to shops"

Now you try saying that - the 'to' is not attached to any word - you can spell it however you like

but apostrophe normally used to replace missing letters

"I'm going down t' shops"

• Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    not really

They/We are just excluding the word 'the' *all together* - because that's what Yorkshire people do- we're actually saying

"I'm going down to shops"

Now you try saying that - the 'to' is not attached to any word - you can spell it however you like

but apostrophe normally used to replace missing letters

"I'm going down t' shops"

It's what some Yorkshire people in some areas of Yorkshire do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Luxury , when I were a lad we could not afford t so we had to grind up mud for a brew.

Eeeeeeeeee we used to dreeeeeam of havin a brew

best we could do was to suck on a piece of damp cloth
    :D
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, ave been doin it wrong all this time!

You and me both :D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

e.g.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yes, spot on. In fact it can be used as a reliable way of telling the Yorkshire actors from the Lancs actors in Coronation St. Or used to be. They seem to employ a lot of native Yorkshire speakers presumably cos Southerners and Midlanders can't tell ' difference.

Yorkshire drops the entire definite article - except for odd phrases like 'Put t'wood in t'oil' ("Shut the door") and that's kind of self parody, in itself.:)

Some of our grammatical differences are survivals from Old English. ('Them' instead of 'those', 'were' for 'was).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So "Fifteen of us in t'shoe box in t'middle of t'road" doesn't work? :(

Nope - Yorkshire man would say

"Fifteen of us livin in shoe box in middle o' road"

o' replacing 'of' but no replacements for any 'the' s
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    'as tha seen ma ferrets?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye.

**inordinately long pause whilst I stare into the distance and sip my pint in an extremely laid back fashion**

Appen you're right lad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eeeeeeeeee we used to dreeeeeam of havin a brew

best we could do was to suck on a piece of damp cloth
    :D

I've spotted the rise of 'brew' in our dialect but I think it's got to Yorkshire from Lancs, as the 'proper' Yorkshire word for making tea when i worra lass, was 'mash'.

Is't tha mashing tea? = Are you brewing tea.

I avoid 'brew' because it sounds foreign to me, in my dialect. That's only crept in recently. I was brought up by a Loiner (with a posh 'Harrogate' Yorkshire accent), and an East/West Riding borders farmer's lass, so I suspect my dialect is a bit of a mash, too - West and East Riding. Upper middle class and yeoman farming class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'as tha seen ma ferrets?

Spot the Southerner.:D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I suspect people from outside the English north get a Lancashire accent/dialect and a Yorkshire accent/dialiect confused. In Lancashire, we do tend to replace "the" with a soft "th" which can be contracted with other words which begin with a soft sound (e.g. "Put wood i'th ole" = "Close the door").
    Both tend to use a gollotal stop in the dialect rather than a sharp `t'.

That Michael McKintyre sketch "'t Lion, 't Witch and 't Wardrobe" does really grate. There is no-one who would say that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I suspect people from outside the English north get a Lancashire accent/dialect and a Yorkshire accent/dialiect confused. In Lancashire, we do tend to replace "the" with a soft "th" which can be contracted with other words which begin with a soft sound (e.g. "Put wood i'th ole" = "Close the door").
    Both tend to use a gollotal stop in the dialect rather than a sharp `t'.

That Michael McKintyre sketch "'t Lion, 't Witch and 't Wardrobe" does really grate. There is no-one who would say that.

I hate him with a passion. Sweaty, disgusting creature.