Options

Traffic Lights

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,672
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    I also hate temporary traffic lights with a vengence. Probably the only style of signal that I really dislike.
    The ones round here are now fitted with traffic sensors so change as you approach them if the road is clear.

OTOH there does seem to be an awful lot of roadworks going on at the moment. Which smacks of councils frantically spending their budget before it gets taken away from them. :mad:
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    I bloody hate traffic lights, one got stuck for ages when I was in a taxi last week, instead of costing me a fiver it cost me nearly nine squids. pfft.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should be phased properly. I am talking about Staples Corner and similar.

It's not rocket science. I have never seen them all on green at once. The result being massive queues.

I think the powers that be phase them wrongly on purpose to back up their argument to extend the congestion charge zone. Once the congestion zone has been extended - they re-set the bloody things to run smoothly. Hey presto the congestion charge is a success. I am too cynical I think. :eek:
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should be allowed to go from red and amber back to red, if they change their mind. And from amber back to green if they want to. Drivers would be more careful because they could never be quite sure what's coming next. :)
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    I think they should be allowed to go from red and amber back to red, if they change their mind. And from amber back to green if they want to. Drivers would be more careful because they could never be quite sure what's coming next. :)

With all due respect, that has to be the most stupid idea I've ever heard. Sorry. Far from having traffic lights with personality that can change their mind (for whatever reason you don't state) = Why not just sync the lights to keep traffic moving freely. Yes at busy times there will always be queues. But your suggestion that because drivers won't know what comes next they will drive safer is a little far fetched to say the least. I have to thank you as it actually made me "LOL":D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live in the sticks like me. The first traffic lights are 25 miles away, pedestrian ones at that.

Hawick has no traffic lights apart from pedestrian ones.:cool::cool:
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member
    ben_122 wrote: »
    I still see a lot of traffic lights that are too high here, and are blocked from the front driver's view. I think this is really clever of the French to do.
    If he can't see them, or another set across the road, he's too far forward.

I can't recall having a problem with them anywhere I've been in the UK.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turning right (or left in the UK) on red is the way to go. It's just a small adjustment to make but really works.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a great set of temporary traffic lights last week. They were being driven away on the back of a truck, after roadworks had finished, but they were still switched on!
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,636
    Forum Member
    The Traffic Lights i hate are, the ones, who go Green for 30 seconds, then, what feels like, Red for 5 bloomin minutes.:mad:, even worse ones are, when the Light changes to Red, on the main Road, the one allowing Traffic from the side Road, is on Green, yet there's no Traffic[& Pedestrians, waiting to cross the main Road] waiting at the Lights, from the side Road.:mad:
  • Options
    SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope anyone can answer this,

Traffic lights normally show red & yellow before green, but lights in my area never show this sequence which I think it is a bit odd which the rest of the UK has this but not where I live!

The yellow light is not broken which it only appears before the red light comes back on.

What gives? :confused:
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southerner wrote: »
    Hope anyone can answer this,

Traffic lights normally show red & yellow before green, but lights in my area never show this sequence which I think it is a bit odd which the rest of the UK has this but not where I live!

The yellow light is not broken which it only appears before the red light comes back on.

What gives? :confused:
    We don't have yellow traffic signals on roads in the UK, are you sure you weren't driving on a railway line?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I also hate temporary traffic lights with a vengence. Probably the only style of signal that I really dislike.

Why people can't go through them on red when it's late at night, no work men around, no cars coming in the opposite direction is frankly beyond me.
    If there is no other traffic around the signals will change as you as you approach them. Temporary signals always rest on all red, so provided they have run through the clearance phase since the last vehicles and they are set up correctly they will change to red amber within seconds of detecting your vehicle - which if there is a long sight line on the approach can be before you even start to slow down.
    Of course as they are portable and are set up on each site sometimes the clearance phase can be set too long or the detectors might not be aligned as well as they could be so they aren't always perfect.

Portable signals have the same legal meaning as any other signals, that's why you can't drive through on red.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    An actual improvement would be to do what France do:

the first car has to look up at an angle to see the lights, In France they have a mini set of lights facing the driver first in line so they can see it much easier and be more prepared for it so set off quicker.
    In the UK there is always a secondary signal head beyond the stop line so there is no reason to be looking up at the primary head. If you can't see the secondary head clearly it's probably because you have stopped beyond the line, either way you should make you you can clearly see the signals that apply to you when you stop and stop further back if need be.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In America, you can turn right against a red light.

We should have the same system here, except, of course, when turning left. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

No we shouldn't. Red means stop.
    If it is safe to turn left when other directions have a red signal there can be a left filter lane with a give way marking, rather than devaluing the meaning of a red signal.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    An actual improvement would be to do what France do:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel/3020214790/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel/2988279190/

the first car has to look up at an angle to see the lights, In France they have a mini set of lights facing the driver first in line so they can see it much easier and be more prepared for it so set off quicker.

Same in Spain as well. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It works really well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

How does that work?
    Would one treat turning left as a give way as the traffic from the cross direction has a green light?

I don't get it. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that work?
    Would one treat turning left as a give way as the traffic from the cross direction has a green light?

I don't get it. :o

Yes, in a nutshell. If there is no traffic coming from your left or straight across you can turn right. There are places where it's not safe to do so and so you aren't allowed to turn right on red (it's clearly marked).
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »
    it was pretty latte in the night.

I enjoy a latte any time of day, and I don't care what it looks like :p

If we could start again from scratch I'd choose more distinctive colours. Green (arguably the least important from a safety point of view) is fine, but amber looks like street lights and red looks like car tail lights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Yes, in a nutshell. If there is no traffic coming from your left or straight across you can turn right. There are places where it's not safe to do so and so you aren't allowed to turn right on red (it's clearly marked).

Ah, I see. thanks SM. :)

Sounds interesting :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Improving the timeing of the lights also the use of traffic sensors is needed more to make them better.

Introduce flashing amber at night like in america.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    We don't have yellow traffic signals on roads in the UK, are you sure you weren't driving on a railway line?

he means the amber light you would normally see before green isn't in the phase, it just goes red to green, then green amber red. American signals do this very thing.

I personally haven't seen this happen on our signals, although I have seen some of the new LED ones show the amber signal incredibly fast before green showed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. thanks SM. :)

Sounds interesting :eek:

Next time you're stuck in lights wanting to turn left imagine doing it if there was no other traffic to impede you.
    I have to do this all the time as I still forget to turn on red :o