Options

Bad Banking.

Kenco KingKenco King Posts: 19,922
Forum Member
✭✭
I was called in yesterday by my bank manager.

They talked me into changing my account, by deciding to put majority of my money into this new account, But unsure on how to get hold of it.

They also got me to take out life cover, to pay for illnesses If I was to get ill.

Also they asked me which way would I like to leave my money once I Die.

I said my 2 sisters please. They then said leave your dad some as well.

Dad though will probably die before me, so I think thats a waste of time.

I was going to say which way I wanted the share to be split.

Before I could get a word in they did it there way.

So dad gets 60%

sister get 20% each.

I think its utterly wrong, having been dictated to

So I'm totally :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find most of that somewhat hard to believe, but if it did happen like that why didn't you stick up for yourself?

Any distribution of your funds after death would be decidied by the contents of your will if you have one, not by bizarre decisions dictated to you by a bank manager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I find most of that somewhat hard to believe, but if it did happen like that why didn't you stick up for yourself?

Any distribution of your funds after death would be decidied by the contents of your will if you have one, not by bizarre decisions dictated to you by a bank manager.

I find it hard to stick up for myself.

Also he was talking like I should know it all.

He was talking so fast it sounded like Double dutch and Gobboldy gook

I'm not very good when it comes to money.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't think about taking somebody with you if you have problems sticking up for yourself ?

Anyway book an appointment to see the bank, write down what you want before hand and go stick up for yourself this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    You didn't think about taking somebody with you if you have problems sticking up for yourself ?

Anyway book an appointment to see the bank, write down what you want before hand and go stick up for yourself this time.

I only was told about this appointment Thursday lunchtime.

My sisters the best when it comes to dealing with money, She was busy yesterday.

I may go next week and demand it have it the way it was before.

As it was doing no harm.

Its just the Bank sticking there noses in, and wanting more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenco King wrote: »
    I was called in yesterday by my bank manager.

You haven't been dictated too - you appear to have been well and truly taken to the cleaners.

Does your new bank account have a monthly charge? Was you old account free of charges?

Insurance policies that claim to pay out on illness often don't . They often exclude pre-existing illness and often you have to be paying in for set amount of time before they even consider a claim. If you didn't have to answer any medical questions to take out the policy then alarm bells should be ringing rather loudly.

Does your insurance policy pay YOU back any money after a set period of time or is it just a policy that only pays out on your death? Unless your father or your sisters are reliant on YOUR income on a week to week basis then it appears that you may have been miss-sold the policy. Possibly, you should only need such a policy if you have dependants.

A reputable salesperson would have explained all the terms and conditions of the policy (all the small print) and given you a copy before you signed anything.

As the bank manager called you in and then sold you inappropiate products that you don't understand write to the head office of the bank complain about the branch.

There is often a 14 day cooling off period for many financial agreements so don't delay if you have second thoughts about what you have agreed. Phone the bank on Monday and tell them that you now believe that the products you have been sold are inappropriate for your circumstances (mention miss-selling of financial services).

Also consider changing your bank if all of this started with a cold phone call to your home or a visit to the branch where they suggested that you urgently needed an interview to discuss your finances. It's a trick used by the bank to hard sell any old c**p that will make THEM more profits. If you fall for this type of trick they are already 90% of the way to ripping you off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan_m wrote: »
    You haven't been dictated too - you appear to have been well and truly taken to the cleaners.

Does your new bank account have a monthly charge? Was you old account free of charges?

Insurance policies that claim to pay out on illness often don't . They often exclude pre-existing illness and often you have to be paying in for set amount of time before they even consider a claim. If you didn't have to answer any medical questions to take out the policy then alarm bells should be ringing rather loudly.

Does your insurance policy pay YOU back any money after a set period of time or is it just a policy that only pays out on your death? Unless your father or your sisters are reliant on YOUR income on a week to week basis then it appears that you may have been miss-sold the policy. Possibly, you should only need such a policy if you have dependants.

A reputable salesperson would have explained all the terms and conditions of the policy (all the small print) and given you a copy before you signed anything.

As the bank manager called you in and then sold you inappropiate products that you don't understand write to the head office of the bank compalin about the branch.

There is often a 14 day cooling off period for many financial agreements so don't delay if you have second thoughts about what you have agreed. Phone the bank on Monday and tell them that you now believe that the products you have been sold are inappropriate for your circumstances (mention miss-selling of financial services).

Also consider changing your bank if all of this started with a cold phone call to your home or a visit to the branch where they suggested that you urgently needed an interview to discuss your finances. It's a trick used by the bank to hard sell any old c**p that will make THEM more profits. If you fall for this type of trick they are already 90% of the way to ripping you off.

No both new and old are free of charge. Not sure how I get access to the new one.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why your bank manager called you into the bank unless there was a problem that needed resolving.

TBH, I would find out when your sister is available and book a time to see the bank when she can go with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No both new and old are free of charge. Not sure how I get access to the new one.

Which bank, which account name?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I don't understand why your bank manager called you into the bank unless there was a problem that needed resolving.

TBH, I would find out when your sister is available and book a time to see the bank when she can go with you.

They called me in as they saw how much was in there, So they wanted to advise me on how to get better interest,

Only for there own benfit.

Yes sisters coming soon, so we'll have a chat and decide where to go from here.

I'm really uncertain of the future. I'm worried I'll have to scrap my Sky Subscription, also I may sell my computer.

to get some extra cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan_m wrote: »
    Which bank, which account name?

LLoyds Bank
  • Options
    slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in my bank yesterday and put some money in, then they looked at my card and said my account was up for review, I was in a hurry and they took me aside I thought there was something wrong but all it was about was to try and link my account with my other account regarding transferring money. I was told that I would win trips to a spa and top hotels, I wasnt interested as i find putting my own money from another account into my other one by myself the way to go as I just dont trust people anymore. Anyways I said I would think about it and they got really snotty with me! it seems you cant do anything these days but feel pressured into something.

But I stood my ground, said I was in a hurry and would think about it and just left. OP sometimes there comes a time when you do have to speak up

I got asked all this from Lloyds too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Yorkshire Bank tried to to something similar to my mum a couple of years ago. I tore a big strip off them when I found out and had everything put back how it was, as much as I could anyway, along with an apology and a few quid of "goodwill".

She went in to do a straightforward transaction and some jumped-up "sales assistant" tried to take advantage of her good nature and lack of money knowledge to earn a few bob of commission out of her. She knows now, they aren't trying to be friendly or helpful - just line their own pockets.

She has a trusted IFA who sorts out what goes where, not some snotty nosed bint eager to make a few quid!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Yorkshire Bank tried to to something similar to my mum a couple of years ago. I tore a big strip off them when I found out and had everything put back how it was, as much as I could anyway, along with an apology and a few quid of "goodwill".

She went in to do a straightforward transaction and some jumped-up "sales assistant" tried to take advantage of her good nature and lack of money knowledge to earn a few bob of commission out of her. She knows now, they aren't trying to be friendly or helpful - just line their own pockets.

She has a trusted IFA who sorts out what goes where, not some snotty nosed bint eager to make a few quid!!

Sorry to hear that. :(

I'm thinking of going back next week, to have everything returned to how it was.

As it wasn't broke, so why try and fix it.
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They called me in as they saw how much was in there, So they wanted to advise me on how to get better interest,

Only for there own benfit.

In the short term, why would sorting things out to give you more interest be for "there benfit" [sic]?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because they are SALESPEOPLE and earn COMMISSION for opening new accounts! It's wrapped up as being helpful and "for your benefit", but don't be misled, there is no altruistic motive here - it's purely so they can hit their sales targets.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    In the short term, why would sorting things out to give you more interest be for "there benfit" [sic]?

Because it will also give the banks more interest.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    you sound like you arent fully capable of making decisions for yourself
    how old are you

I cant get my head round the fact your bank manager asked you to come in to the bank, has divided your money up, put it into a new account you dont know how to access and you might have to cancel some of your outgoings and sell your stuff ,not because you cant afford them but because you dont know where your money is ??

this is a serious question, do you have learning difficulties or a mental illness?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »

Because:

LLoyds Bank only do one "free" current account so if the OP has had it changed there will be a monthly fee.

The bank may have transferred the excess money to an saving account with a 3 or 5 year fixed interest rate and the money cannot be withdrawn (without loss of interest).

They tie you into an account that only offers a fraction of the interest a third party would provide. This may be more than the original account but it will not be the best easy access rate offered elsewhere.

They didn't only change the account but then sold life and "medical" protection insurance. One of these probably will not pay out, and if it does it will be only to pay the bank for the life insurance premium i.e. it protects the bank and not the payee. If the life insurance is one where no money is returned to the payee within their lifetime (assuming a fairly average life expectancy) then it is possibly unecessary. There is a fair chance it's one of those policies that only pay out on death and all money is "lost" if payments are stopped at any time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly Alan! Was their "advice" based on a full financial "fact find" like an IFA would have to do - understand the customers feelings about risk vs reward etc. I think not - it's purely about getting "products" sold and commission earned, not about what's best for the "customer"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how old are you

I cant get my head round the fact your bank manager asked you to come in to the bank, has divided your money up, put it into a new account you dont know how to access and you might have to cancel some of your outgoings and sell your stuff ,not because you cant afford them but because you dont know where your money is ??

this is a serious question, do you have learning difficulties or a mental illness?

No I find it hard to make decisions.

I'm 32.

No they just told me they were going to do it, gaved me no information on how to get hold of it.

Yes, I have Learning Dificulties. No mental illness though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Exactly Alan! Was their "advice" based on a full financial "fact find" like an IFA would have to do - understand the customers feelings about risk vs reward etc. I think not - it's purely about getting "products" sold and commission earned, not about what's best for the "customer"!

Quite.

My mum rang up her bank the other day simply to get a new debit card as the chip on hers is damaged.

Got a new one ordered and then the guy on the phone started on the sales spiel trying to get her to open new accounts and move money about. Took her a few firm no's and then a very firm GOODBYE! to get him to shut up.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how old are you

I have to say, I did wonder that myself. Someone should be looking after all this, it's clear that the OP isn't able to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I have to say, I did wonder that myself. Someone should be looking after all this, it's clear that the OP isn't able to do so.

I agree. The op also needs to take responsibility himself though. If he knew he had problems with this sort of thing he should not have arranged to go to the meeting by himself.

Either say a straight 'No', arrange the meeting for a time when someone you TRUST can go with you or get them to put any proposals in writing and post it to you so you can decide what you want to do in your own time.

Hopefully the op can get this sorted out and then know what to do in the future when the situation occurs again.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I agree. The op also needs to take responsibility himself though. If he knew he had problems with this sort of thing he should not have arranged to go to the meeting by himself.

Either say a straight 'No', arrange the meeting for a time when someone you TRUST can go with you or get them to put any proposals in writing and post it to you so you can decide what you want to do in your own time.

Hopefully the op can get this sorted out and then know what to do in the future when the situation occurs again.

That's also true. There were a lot of points during that interview where the discussion could have been stopped and there would have been no pressure. The original intention of the bank was helpful, a lot of people have too much money in low interest accounts, but if the manager didn't know the OP well, they'd just assume that the OP's apparent agreement meant they were happy to go ahead.

Get the sister involved, go back to the bank, explain, and it will all be sorted. In my experience, they're all pretty good with cooling-off periods when you change your finances.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Quite.

My mum rang up her bank the other day simply to get a new debit card as the chip on hers is damaged.

Got a new one ordered and then the guy on the phone started on the sales spiel trying to get her to open new accounts and move money about. Took her a few firm no's and then a very firm GOODBYE! to get him to shut up.
    I absolutely detest phoning the bank for anything as I can never get a straight answer - they have to try to upgrade my account, get me to open a savings account, apply for a credit card, get a quote for home insurance, ask if I've got life insurance, and only then, when I've said a categoric NO to everything, will they give me my sodding balance.