Options

The Walking Dead (US Pace) [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waterstones did (as of last week) have the first three paperback volumes in a buy two get one free deal, meaning you'd get the first three books for just under £20.
  • Options
    Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    metanoia wrote: »
    This is (apart from illegal means) the cheapest way of reading them.

Nope! I got the from the library.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    metanoia wrote: »

Nice, it's even cheaper for those of us in the US. Amazon has it for $37, which is £23.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a zombie inspired commercial that ran during the first episode on Halloween night in the US. It's an advertisement for a comic book shop in Chicago. AMC wouldn't allow the uncensored version on the air so they refilmed it to keep it clean. :D

It's clearly not offensive but I guess there was a little too much blood flying around. :)

UNCENSORED (LINK)

CENSORED (LINK)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished watching episode #3 ("Tell It To The Frogs").

It was pretty good - lots of drama but very little zombie action. This episode was more about introducing viewers to the rest of the survivors back at the camp. Some of the human survivors are no better than the zombies which means that their situation is definitely going to become even more dire in the next three weeks. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    I just finished watching episode #3 ("Tell It To The Frogs").

It was pretty good - lots of drama but very little zombie action. This episode was more about introducing viewers to the rest of the survivors back at the camp. Some of the human survivors are no better than the zombies which means that their situation is definitely going to become even more dire in the next three weeks. ;)

I thought the complaining about cleaning clothes was a bit far fetched, if it wasn't for the apocalypse they'd be in the kitchen. At least this way they have nice scenery and don't have to worry about stain remover ;)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the end
    Did he escape or did he die because he had lost blood from cutting his hand off? They didn't show the body.
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    At the end
    Did he escape or did he die because he had lost blood from cutting his hand off? They didn't show the body.

my guess is he jumped after getting free. better than getting eaten alive by zed's.
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    ILoved the last episode but one question

Why didnt he just cut the handcuffs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit slow this week with nowhere near enough zombies but appreciate it's needed although only 3 episodes left this season :-(

Glad I'm now reading the comics as I wouldn't be able to wait until late next year, they do seem a lot different to the series though.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    ILoved the last episode but one question

Why didnt he just cut the handcuffs?

The
    handcuffs would be tempered steel so the hacksaw wouldn't have been any good he would have been better off cutting the threaded bar he was handcuffed to
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    The
    handcuffs would be tempered steel so the hacksaw wouldn't have been any good he would have been better off cutting the threaded bar he was handcuffed to

Yeah, it looked like he was handcuffed to rebar. I would've hacksawed through the rebar before cutting off my own hand... then again, he was pretty delirious at the beginning of the episode, so I guess he wasn't thinking clearly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Yeah, it looked like he was handcuffed to rebar. I would've hacksawed through the rebar before cutting off my own hand... then again, he was pretty delirious at the beginning of the episode, so I guess he wasn't thinking clearly.

He was clearly in a massive state of panic. Don't forget, the zombies were literally trying to open the door which was chained. The guy had no idea that the door was going to hold and keep him safe. As far as he knew, those zombies were going to eventually get through so (in his mind) he had to act quickly. And unfortunately for him he decided to cut his hand off.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was clearly in a massive state of panic. Don't forget, the zombies were literally trying to open the door which was chained. The guy had no idea that the door was going to hold and keep him safe. As far as he knew, those zombies were going to eventually get through so (in his mind) he had to act quickly. And unfortunately for him he decided to cut his hand off.

it would have been quicker to cut the bar or as my OH said just to cut his thumb off then he could have sliiped the handcuffs off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Just caught up. This show is ace. Fantastic third episode. Love how they have also managed to capture the high drama of the comics in the TV adaptation. Despite being dealt with quickly, the much awaited reunion between Rick, lori and Carl was emotional and really worked on screen I thought.

Liking the little differences between the TV show and the comic. Personally I think that the TV show is rightly tweaking some bits about the comic in order to improve it even further. Also liking the addition of "new" characters not featured in the comic - one in particular serves to add more depth to a character; Carol's husband.

Looking forward to next week. Cant believe we've already got to mid-point :( Judging by the pcing I think we will probably remain in Volume One area until at least the start of season One. Im also thinking that certain characters will follow a path very different to the one they have in the comic ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    it would have been quicker to cut the bar or as my OH said just to cut his thumb off then he could have sliiped the handcuffs off

Well you have to remember that this is a TV show. Cutting a hand off is far more dramatic and horrifying than cutting off a thumb or sawing off the handcuffs. :)
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just finished reading an interesting interview conducted by Entertainment Weekly with Robert Kirkman, author of the Walking Dead comic books and executive producer of the tv series. He talks about the series and about last night's third episode. Below is the link. Enjoy the read. :)

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/15/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-frogs/
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you have to remember that this is a TV show. Cutting a hand off is far more dramatic and horrifying than cutting off a thumb or sawing off the handcuffs. :)

True, but think about it. When one is in that state of panic, the thought of survival becomes all consuming. Thinking about cutting off just a thumb or whatever else, isn't a luxury that one entertains. ;) It may have been dramatic, but it really showed the nature of the human pshyche.

Merle was in a very panicked state and justifiably so. He wanted out and for him the quickest way was to essentially hack his hand off at the wrist. The dude is somewhere bleeding all over the place and very ticked off. I'm wondering if he'll find the duffle bag loaded with the guns that Rick left behind.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got my fingers crossed that when he does finally appear he hasn't fashioned himself one of those obviously fake wrist hook contraption things that always appear on tv + film. The ones that are big enough to contain the actors hand. But thinking back to the crawling half zombie lady methinks the ptb have enough great SFX people on their team that 'blanking' out a hand in a realistic manner should be a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in the US, the TV ratings for this series remains very strong and It's defying the norm. Usually a popular TV series starts off strong and then the # of viewers drops a little each week or stays at a stalemate.

But the 3rd episode of "The Walking Dead" had more people watching than last week's. 5.1 million people watched the 10pm airing of the series last night compared with last week's 4.7 million.

Zombies are so popular now that I bet some movie studios are scrambling to get some zombie films ready for the summer. :p
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good to know! :)

I know it's already been renewed for a second season anyway, but still very good for it to be holding steady.
  • Options
    SamGamgeeSamGamgee Posts: 1,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superb third episode. Really well done. Best of the three for me.

The best thing about this series is how different the first three eps were. First was setting up the story, second was escpaing with the survivors and the third was the dynamics of the camp survivors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could've just dislocated his thumb! (saw that in a prison documentary!) I think he's alive to cause trouble later.

I liked the end music - especially building over the uncontrolled beating and pan to the hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode #4 ("Vatos") was outstanding. :)

There were more character developement among the survivors which I enjoyed. And strangely enough, I'm beginning to like Daryl, the redneck brother of crazy Merle. He's still a jackass but at least he knows when to "reign it in" for the sake of the rest of the group or at the very least for "the mission".

The ending of the episode was a surprise. It wasn't what I was expecting....
    I was expecting Merle to come up to the camp and shoot up the place. But instead we got a bloodbath - zombie-style. Either Merle lead the zombies to the camp or the dead simply found it on their own. Both scenarios are possible since it was mentioned in a previous episode that the zombies were starting to leave the city in search of more "food". But I have a funny feeling Merle is involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dialogue ruined this episode, I thought. Maybe because all the writers are new to TV?