Options

Terry and June

a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just been watching the classic Terry and June, but have noticed something strange

In season 2 episode 3 terrys nephew arrives, he rings the door bell and askes for a quid.... terry gives him a coin and in turn goes to the driver of the taxi

what is strange is, pound coins came into circulation in 1983 yet this episode is from 1980.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    What I always found strange was the fact that Terry would invite the boss to Christmas dinner, as you do :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dave150 wrote: »
    What I always found strange was the fact that Terry would invite the boss to Christmas dinner, as you do :D

As you do if you're a desperate crawler looking for promotion or a pay rise
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah his boss was a right tight ass. The amount of dinners that he got invited to by Terry alone... he must have never cooked for himself, just invited himself round to each of his employees houses day by day.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish we had sit-coms like this now. I tend to feel they died at the same time as Victor Meldrew.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah his boss was a right tight ass. The amount of dinners that he got invited to by Terry alone... he must have never cooked for himself, just invited himself round to each of his employees houses day by day.

Terry and Jerry had the same boss who treated both June and Margo the same way.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Wish we had sit-coms like this now. .

Glad we don't.

Lazy and dire.

One of the nadirs of the sitcom genre
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Glad we don't.

Lazy and dire.

But at least most were funny.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    But at least most were funny.

No, they weren't.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry and June could be good one week and hopeless the next. However, when it was good, it could be very funny. Also ratings remained high during its long run on BBC1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad we don't.

Lazy and dire.

I'd rather watch 10 episodes of Terry and June than one of The Royle Family or Extras
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I'd rather watch 10 episodes of Terry and June than one of The Royle Family or Extras

Agree, as I wrote Terry and June could at least be funny.

It is accused of being "lazy" but many of the later trendier shows run on the same joke week after week. I would hardly call "The Royal Family" innovative or original, every week seems to be the same as the week before.
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. The whole sitcom style changed with The Royle Family. Out went the cosy family situations and in came a cynical reality style show which often relies on gross-out humour or swearing and degredation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Terry and Jerry had the same boss who treated both June and Margo the same way.

Yes, that was funny really - they had different names and were in different industry but identical personas!:D
  • Options
    TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they weren't.

Comedy in "subjective" shocker!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's probably dated badly, but a good episode was memorable, particularly the one with the beefburgers on a record player.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Rodney wrote: »
    Indeed. The whole sitcom style changed with The Royle Family. Out went the cosy family situations and in came a cynical reality style show which often relies on gross-out humour or swearing and degredation.

I think it changed long before the Royle Family.

Sitcoms seemed to die with the Men Behaving Badly. After this it was sketch shows (Fast Show, Smack the Pony, etc). Then the Royle Family brought back a sort of parody to a sitcom.

The only sitcom in recent years which seems to have lasted is My Family and that is just dire now! (I say that, I haven't watched it for years - after Chris left, really - as it was dire then!).
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you still had a lot of family type sitcoms running until the late nineties, but the Royle Family signalled the end of this. The only other traditional sitcom to run after the Royles was My Family, and the fact that it can still pull a large audience despite being loooooooong past its best goes to show that there's still a decent market for more family orientated shows.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been watching The Beverly Hillbillies on Film 24 and was surprised to notice that as early as 1962 CBS had already ditched the live studio audience and were relying on "canned laughter ".

Also, Miss Hathaway, who has always been touted as the first latent Lesbian character on mainstream US TV spends most of her time ignoring the luscious Ellie May and lusting after the dopey Jethro.

Hey ho, another TV myth bites the dust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the idea of Miss Hathaway being a lesbian is a bit of ret-conning based on the fact that Nancy Kulp, the actress who played her came out in 1989.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodney wrote: »
    No, you still had a lot of family type sitcoms running until the late nineties, but the Royle Family signalled the end of this. The only other traditional sitcom to run after the Royles was My Family, and the fact that it can still pull a large audience despite being loooooooong past its best goes to show that there's still a decent market for more family orientated shows.

My Family's weakness seems to be that it seems to be written in the American mass production style where you keep bringing in new writers for a few episodes when most classic sitcoms have been written a single writer (or more often perhaps a pair).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Terry and June could be good one week and hopeless the next. However, when it was good, it could be very funny. Also ratings remained high during its long run on BBC1.

Scott was far funnier as Dangermouse's geeky friend ;), someone will remember the name of that character.... Pennington?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite episodes are the one where he stands as a Conservative candidate in an election, the one where Terry has a disastrous barbecue and the one where he borrows a video recorder from Sir Denis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harrowing wrote: »
    Scott was far funnier as Dangermouse's geeky friend ;), someone will remember the name of that character.... Pennington?

Penfold :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Penfold :)

Ta, H gets 5/10 for effort:)
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original June Whitfield, Terry Scott comedy "Happy Ever After" was better than "Terry and June".