Options

When and why did it become trendy to hate the royal family?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was it something to do with the death of Princess Diana?

I can't think why else there has been such a big U-turn in how the British public feel toward them or when it really started.

I'm not a huge fan of them or anything but I find the amount of royal bashing on here pretty tedious. A lot of the time it reminds me of students trying to be edgy by going against something mainstream, for some reason. :D

Comments

• Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Has in been trendy for all those centuries to worship them? Is it like some sort of medieval Kerry Katona fan base? Or WWF would be more fitting? Or maybe Jordan and David Beckham where the kids are obsessively and trendily followed as well?
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been trendy, on and off, ever since the French Revolution. After the end of the Napoleonic Wars there was significant anti-royal feeling helped by the fact that the family of George III were a pretty disreputable lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    It's been trendy, on and off, ever since the French Revolution. After the end of the Napoleonic Wars there was significant anti-royal feeling helped by the fact that the family of George III were a pretty disreputable lot.

Don't think Oliver Cromwell was too keen on them either.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :mad: Jesus gave but the royals took.
    Maybe so many people can't stand them because they are living in poverty or having a hard time of it.Whilst the royals look down their snooty noses at their loyal 'subjects'.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Is it really trendy to hate them?

I've always been fairly indifferent to them and most people I speak to seem to have a similar opinion.

They're like harmless, talentless celebrities, who have an interesting ancestry that shaped our nation.

What's there to hate?
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate the Royal Family. I hate the concept of hereditary monarchy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I think most people think they're pointless and have no real place in society any more. Perhaps they're only good for tourism?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    What's there to hate?

The fact that they represent a world where one person is judged better than another purely because of accident of birth?
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that historically it's been love and hate all the way. Patriotism as opposed to hating the Royal Family themselves is on the wane and I think it maybe as adults who lived during the second World War are dying out so are the reasons for supporting them although the notion that everyone looked upon them in the Wars for hope, security and support is a little rose tinted. My great grandmother wasn't in the least bit patrotic as a Blitz survivor who felt very strongly that they were clueless but perhaps for a majority of older people they were part of the stif upper lip and patriotism.

I recall going to a huge party when Charles and Diana were married around my grandparents with all the family but when I think back to then, we lived in the same street and seemed to have time to play more. It was, even that recently, a simpler life and we've now all moved on. Freedom of infomation means we know there dirty linen (although Henry VIII aired his often) but expect them to behave better since we're funding them. Money is tight so we're questioning their value more too. I doubt many can afford a street party this time.
  • Options
    paulsmithfanpaulsmithfan Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    The royal family represent an unjust society and they should be removed at once. The fact that in 2010 tax payers are supporting these blood lust morons is unbelievable.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not hate the Royal family, I don't hate anyone.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned:(
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    I hate the concept of hereditary monarchy.
    Why do you care, though?

It's a bit of a quaint pantomime and they seem to live their lives under the gaze of the public, and by a strange set of social rules that most of us would baulk at.

Would the UK really be a better place without them? Do they cost the UK more than they generate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I do not hate the Royal family, I don't hate anyone.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned:(

Neither do I. I still hate the institution they represent though.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Actually Royal Familys where hating each other even before it became trendy with anyone else.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't like all the pomp and ceremony that goes on with them. People in this country will be contributing to security who can't even be present when the carriage comes out and goes past the crowd. I can't wait for William to become King. Hopefully then, he'll try and keep pomp and ceremony to a minimum.
  • Options
    big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Maybe the fact that treason isn't fully enforced these days, so people can say pretty much what they want?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    If it was the Royal Family or President Cilla or President Clarkson then my vote goes for keeping the monarchy. It's totally flawed, of course, but it's far preferable to the alternative. Look at the French - they got rid of their monarchy and it would be harder to find a more angry, self-hating bunch of people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Why do you care, though?

It's a bit of a quaint pantomime and they seem to live their lives under the gaze of the public, and by a strange set of social rules that most of us would baulk at.

Would the UK really be a better place without them? Do they cost the UK more than they generate?

I like the idea of my country being based on equality and fairness. How can we claim to really be a democracy when the top job is decided through an accident of birth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was the Royal Family or President Cilla or President Clarkson then my vote goes for keeping the monarchy. It's totally flawed, of course, but it's far preferable to the alternative. Look at the French - they got rid of their monarchy and it would be harder to find a more angry, self-hating bunch of people.

Why would that be the choice?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Why would that be the choice?

You don't expect the soap-loving, tabloid-reading, Jeremy Kyle-watching British public to come up with something sensible, do you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I just found out the 29th April is going to be a national holiday, so I now, temporarily, like the Royal Family.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people think it all started from when the Royals first allowed a fly on the wall documentary to be made about them - sort of early reality tv. It 'let in daylight upon magic' :rolleyes: the Royals were no longer semi-divine beings.

But they were still hugely respected through the 70s with the Silver Jubilee & the 1980s with the Royal Wedding.

I'd say it was the 90s when the fairytale wedding fell apart, plus the blurring of royalty with celebrity, they turned themselves into a real life soap opera. Personally I lost respect for them when they exhibited more apparent grief over the scrapping of the royal yacht than they did over the death of Diana.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    I just found out the 29th April is going to be a national holiday, so I now, temporarily, like the Royal Family.

I'm going to have the holiday and still dislike them... I manage of Father Christmas day to get into the spirit (literally) as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't think that's a tad sweeping statement to make? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Was it something to do with the death of Princess Diana?

I can't think why else there has been such a big U-turn in how the British public feel toward them or when it really started.

I'm not a huge fan of them or anything but I find the amount of royal bashing on here pretty tedious. A lot of the time it reminds me of students trying to be edgy by going against something mainstream, for some reason. :D

A word of advice; leave the personal attacks until you have at least tried to debate the issues. Otherwise it can look a little desperate.

Edit; although not as desperate as the argument below however :D