Options

"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At?

Comments

• Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to laugh when STV bods disputed the figure of 150,000 Scots opting out of the opt out by watching ITV1 using Sky/Freesat etc.

Not their moan about the figure, but the way it sounded as though it had not crossed their tiny tartan minds that viewers who could, would - reject their offerings in this multi channel age. :p

That's why I would love to see DA shown on ITV3 in a 9pm time slot, up against the latest efforts by STV.

Having said that, there are of course homes (often with elderly owners) where Freeview is not yet an option. But that situation will change in the coming months.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    I had to laugh when STV bods disputed the figure of 150,000 Scots opting out of the opt out by watching ITV1 using Sky/Freesat etc.

Not their moan about the figure, but the way it sounded as though it had not crossed their tiny tartan minds that viewers who could, would - reject their offerings in this multi channel age. :p

That's why I would love to see DA shown on ITV3 in a 9pm time slot, up against the latest efforts by STV.

Having said that, there are of course homes (often with elderly owners) where Freeview is not yet an option. But that situation will change in the coming months.

yep your right and i for one will be happy SWITCHING oh sorry DELETING stv off my freeview box! when it happens and I am for one not keen on having an "all scots" channel either. Hearing the constant glasweigan voiceovers and on some of their programmes drive me nuts!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »

And of course ITV3 is not available on relay stations without the full range of Freeview channels which means a lot of Scotland.
  • Options
    angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extract STV Press statement 29th November 2010
    Underbelly: The Golden Mile, will air on STV next year in another exclusive UK premiere. The third series, which was hugely successful when it aired in Australia earlier this year, follows on from A Tale of Two Cities and focuses on events that stemmed from the Kings Cross nightclub scene in Sydney between 1988 and 1999.

Elizabeth Partyka, STV’s Channel Controller, said: "I'm thrilled to bring more of this compelling, high quality drama to the STV schedule next year in another UK exclusive. Underbelly has been a very successful acquisition for us and it's clear that our viewers have been compelled by the gritty real-life stories. I’m sure the third series will be just as popular.”
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angustay wrote: »
    Extract STV Press statement 29th November 2010
    Underbelly: The Golden Mile, will air on STV next year in another exclusive UK premiere. The third series, which was hugely successful when it aired in Australia earlier this year, follows on from A Tale of Two Cities and focuses on events that stemmed from the Kings Cross nightclub scene in Sydney between 1988 and 1999.

Elizabeth Partyka, STV’s Channel Controller, said: "I'm thrilled to bring more of this compelling, high quality drama to the STV schedule next year in another UK exclusive. Underbelly has been a very successful acquisition for us and it's clear that our viewers have been compelled by the gritty real-life stories. I’m sure the third series will be just as popular.”
    Underbelly must be extremely cheap for STV to buy because the ratings for the last series were very poor, getting audience shares of 9% while the ITV network were getting double that for Law and Order: Uk!

Don't let STV fool you with their quotes saying it's been "very successful" - in terms of ratings it hasn't!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you get the 9% from the only quote i could find was from ITV. Even the BARB in their own words has said they have no info on most of STV's opt outs. Underbelly has made more money for STV than Midsommer ever did plus STV get to keep all profits so from a business point of view even if the 9% is accurate it is still more profitable for STV to show Underbelly than pay rediculous prices for mediocre ITV Drama.

Downtime Abbey has only sold 2% of it's DVDs since it's release in Scotland not much considering people were supposedly complaining in their thousands about the opt outs.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure where you get the 9% from the only quote i could find was from ITV. Even the BARB has no info on most of STV's opt outs.
    Actually it wasn't a quote from ITV, it was on an independent website (Herald Scotland iirc). I've seen the figures myself anyway. Here they are:

9/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 245k (13%)... L&O UK (ITV): 22%
    16/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 240k (13%)... L&O UK (ITV): 18%
    23/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 175k (9%)... L&O UK (ITV): 19%
    30/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 184k (9%)... L&O UK (ITV): 13%
    7/10/10- Underbelly (STV): 206k (10%)... L&O UK (ITV): 20%
    14/10/10- Underbelly (STV): 207k (11%)... L&O UK (ITV): 19%
    21/10/10- Underbelly (STV): 172k (10%)... L&O UK (ITV): 20%

Underbelly Share Average: 11%... Law & Order UK Share Average: 19%.

Law & Order UK was nearly double as popular in the regions it was shown in compared to Underbelly on STV.
    Underbelly has made more money for STV than Midsommer ever did plus STV get to keep all profits so from a business point of view even if the 9% is accurate it is still more profitable for STV to show Underbelly than pay rediculous prices for mediocre ITV Drama.
    But what it shows is that viewers are using their remotes and choosing to watch programmes on other channels instead of the cheap imports that you've been airing. In the short term it might make you a bit of money but it's not a good strategy in the long-term because viewers will lose their loyalty towards STV and it will not be their "default channel" anymore and that will affect the ratings of other programmes across the schedule. Also basically you've just admitted that STV are airing cheap shows to save money, rather than offering Scottish viewers a "relevant" popular alternative. STV's future looks bleak if you truly believe it's in the viewers' interests to watch cheap imports which are not even that popular as the statistics show.

Don't get me wrong - airing imports is fine in moderation and if they're popular. I'm even a fan of Underbelly. But clearly according to the stats, Underbelly is not popular in the STV region nor is it a ratings "success" which STV is making it out to be in their press releases. In reality, Underbelly's most recent series was one of STV's worst rated 9pm scripted programmes in the channel's history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    Actually it wasn't a quote from ITV, it was on an independent website (Herald Scotland iirc). I've seen the figures myself anyway. Here they are:

9/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 245k (13%)... L&O UK (ITV): 22%
    16/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 240k (13%)... L&O UK (ITV): 18%
    23/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 175k (9%)... L&O UK (ITV): 19%
    30/9/10- Underbelly (STV): 184k (9%)... L&O UK (ITV): 13%
    7/10/10- Underbelly (STV): 206k (10%)... L&O UK (ITV): 20%
    14/10/10- Underbelly (STV): 207k (11%)... L&O UK (ITV): 19%
    21/10/10- Underbelly (STV): 172k (10%)... L&O UK (ITV): 20%

Underbelly Share Average: 11%... Law & Order UK Share Average: 19%.

Law & Order UK was nearly double as popular in the regions it was shown in compared to Underbelly on STV.

But what it shows is that viewers are using the remotes and choosing to watch programmes on other channels instead of the cheap imports that you've been airing. In the short term it might make you a bit of money but it's not a good strategy in the long-term because viewers will lose their loyalty towards STV and it will not be their "default channel" anymore and that will affect the ratings of other programmes across the schedule. Also basically you've just admitted that STV are airing cheap shows to save money, rather than offering Scottish viewers a "relevant" popular alternative. STV's future looks bleak if you truly believe it's in the viewers' interests to watch cheap imports which are not even that popular as the statistics show.

Don't get me wrong - airing imports is fine in moderation and if they're popular. I'm even a fan of Underbelly. But clearly according to the stats, Underbelly is not popular nor is it a "success" which STV is pretending it is.

Great post! Stv are an utter embarrassment. Underbelly is cheap, full stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure where you get the 9% from the only quote i could find was from ITV. Even the BARB in their own words has said they have no info on most of STV's opt outs. Underbelly has made more money for STV than Midsommer ever did plus STV get to keep all profits so from a business point of view even if the 9% is accurate it is still more profitable for STV to show Underbelly than pay rediculous prices for mediocre ITV Drama.

Downtime Abbey has only sold 2% of it's DVDs since it's release in Scotland not much considering people were supposedly complaining in their thousands about the opt outs.:eek:

Loved to see where you got this one from? 11 million must be wrong and Stv right again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Herald Scotland is about as reliable as the Daily Mail they also have many employees who have past associations with ITV and have had a long standing grudge with STV for decades none of which is a secret and was reported heavily during the late 80s to the mid 90s. STV is a business like ITV and profits will come first over content in any case that's true for all channels with the possible exception of the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What profits? Stv buy the show in as a sale, they don't make a penny from it. The profits go to Nine Network who make the show. With an audience of 9% I can't see Stv even covering its cost with advert sales.
    Mediocre Itv drama employs hundreds of British actors, writers, directors, crew, caterers, etc. Underbelly employs none. Stv, by denying their share of production, are jeopardising the whole industry and all the Scottish freelancers who work down south.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Herald Scotland is about as reliable as the Daily Mail they also have many employees who have past associations with ITV and have had a long standing grudge with STV for decades none of which is a secret and was reported heavily during the late 80s to the mid 90s.

So they TOTALLY made up 10 weeks of viewing figures just to get it up STV? Ooooooooookay then. Whatever.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Herald Scotland is about as reliable as the Daily Mail they also have many employees who have past associations with ITV and have had a long standing grudge with STV for decades none of which is a secret and was reported heavily during the late 80s to the mid 90s.

Paranoia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What profits? Stv buy the show in as a sale, they don't make a penny from it

Advertising. If STV show's ITV programming STV only gets a share of the advertising. If STV opts out they get full advertising costs for their region. It's in the Channel 3 license agreement. STV can make more by opting out of ITV programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Herald Scotland is about as reliable as the Daily Mail they also have many employees who have past associations with ITV and have had a long standing grudge with STV for decades none of which is a secret and was reported heavily during the late 80s to the mid 90s. STV is a business like ITV and profits will come first over content in any case that's true for all channels with the possible exception of the BBC.
    Those ratings I posted are not from Herald Scotland, they are ratings which I have got from BARB.

In addition to the ratings which I personally obtained from BARB, Herald Scotland also had an article which had the similar viewing figures saying the same thing about Underbelly underperforming for STV.

Those ratings are 100% legit. I have seen the ratings myself from first-hand experience!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Advertising. If STV show's ITV programming STV only gets a share of the advertising. If STV opts out they get full advertising costs for their region. It's in the Channel 3 license agreement. STV can make more by opting out of ITV programming.

In principle, yes but with audiences of 9% they'll be lucky to make anything?
    Stv thought that when Taggart premiered in Scotland they could sell the sponsorship of the Scottish Premiere to a Scottish company. However, they were gutted to discover they had to use the Itv sponsorship of Drama, Nissan, i think? They lost a lot of money they were banking on and the irony was a Scottish showing of their own show ran with Itv Mystery Drama bumpers.
    Sometimes, it does work both ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV used to be able to guarantee advertisers advertising all over the UK they no longer can. If advertisers want to get their product to Scotland they have to deal with STV. ITV will lose out because they can no longer guarantee advertising in Scotland and STV will gain because advertisers if they want their product advertised in Scotland will have to deal directly with STV. ITV need's high ratings to maintain ITV's programming STV don't need high ratings but advertisers need STV. After full DSO STV and ITV will be 2 seperate companies competing with countless other channels and although STV have many top programmes in the pipeline and now have the money and partners to produce them I suspect they will bide their time untill DSO is complete before showing any of their new content or launching their HD Channel on other platforms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After full DSO STV and ITV will be 2 seperate companies competing with countless other channels
    STV and ITV already compete against "countless other channels" anyway, and most people by now already have digital TV anyway.
    STV have many top programmes in the pipeline and now have the money and partners to produce them I suspect they will bide their time untill DSO is complete before showing any of their new content or launching their HD Channel on other platforms.
    I suspect these "top programmes in the pipeline" will never materialise :D.

Or do you consider "top programmes" to be programmes such as cheap MTV imports like 'Being Victor' which are currently being shown on STV :D?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV used to be able to guarantee advertisers advertising all over the UK they no longer can. If advertisers want to get their product to Scotland they have to deal with STV. ITV will lose out because they can no longer guarantee advertising in Scotland and STV will gain because advertisers if they want their product advertised in Scotland will have to deal directly with STV. ITV need's high ratings to maintain ITV's programming STV don't need high ratings but advertisers need STV. After full DSO STV and ITV will be 2 seperate companies competing with countless other channels and although STV have many top programmes in the pipeline and now have the money and partners to produce them I suspect they will bide their time untill DSO is complete before showing any of their new content or launching their HD Channel on other platforms.

- So ITV cant sell adverts for Scotland through ITV, this isnt that much different to the old days when each region had there own sales team. As long as ITV can provide London, South, South East, East, the Thames Valley and the main cities, advertisers will not care.

- You are missing the big point, alot of people agree with you that STV needs to do something to survive in the medium term after digital switch over. However, we can all see that the way they are doing it is totally wrong. What is happening is short term cost savings, that will lose STV its reputation for big dramas, and make it just another digital channel.

- You say that STV will have all this new product for when digital switch over happens, that is too late. Wth digital tv increasing every day they need to reinforce viewer loyalty and their identity so that people will follow them when they become just another digital channel. So that when someone in scotland turns the tv on after they are no longer part of ITV, switch over they think i wonder whats on STV, High quality drama (even if it is ITVs), mixed with quality local programming will do this. However, STVs policy of cheap imports and niche local programming has been shown time and time again to be losing STV viewers, and once you have lost your reputation you have no chance. Why would someone in scotland turn on to STV in 10 years time to watch an australian import, when 100 other channels wil be offering something very similar.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect they will bide their time untill DSO is complete before showing any of their new content or launching their HD Channel on other platforms.

Why in God's name would they wait till DSO is complegte before maing the HD channel available on Sky and Freesat? Why deprive themselves of potential viewers?

Could it be er, money again? Probably. Just pay the going rate Hain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I think STV does just fine. The only thing that annoys me is the presenters on the Hour. The format is great and I like their features but Stephen Jardine and Michelle McManus. Jeezo! It also tends to be to West-Coast despite all these local news broadcasts.

TBH I think after the digital switchover not many folk will care about high quality drama when they've got a bundle of extra channels all competing for their cash. If Scotland has ITV and STV then it'll be rather pleasant having the choice of watching something other than reality crap. I wouldn't be surprised if ITV plans to stick it's drama behind a paywall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    charcope wrote: »
    I think STV does just fine. The only thing that annoys me is the presenters on the Hour. The format is great and I like their features but Stephen Jardine and Michelle McManus. Jeezo! It also tends to be to West-Coast despite all these local news broadcasts.

TBH I think after the digital switchover not many folk will care about high quality drama when they've got a bundle of extra channels all competing for their cash. If Scotland has ITV and STV then it'll be rather pleasant having the choice of watching something other than reality crap. I wouldn't be surprised if ITV plans to stick it's drama behind a paywall.

Good for you! Hope you enjoy the one hour "Postcode Challenge" on Hogmanay then!
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you! Hope you enjoy the one hour "Postcode Challenge" on Hogmanay then!

oh no! please be kidding! that is DEFINATELY scrapeing the barrels now lol ... oh wait BBC scotland is WAY better on Hogmanay. Hogmanay last year was EMBARASSING on stv "the making of the greatest scot" that was just bad! i wonder if stv will repeat that AGAIN also? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As opposed to the massive effort ITV1 puts in at New Year? What, another film followed by the Big Ben chimes at midnight? I can hardly wait!
    So glad I'll be out.

In unrelated matters, thoroughly enjoyed Malawi: Hope Delivered just now, although almost feel as though in half an hour it was rushed. More time might have led to more insight into the hospital before and after the rebuild. Generally a positive programme though, showing first hand how donations really do help.
    Like it or loathe it, stuff like this shows how better off we'll be come switchover with STV and ITV, rather than just ITV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Good for me for pointing out that it's not the end of the World that STV doesn't show a costume drama?

I think some folk need to get out more. If folk don't like it then don't watch it. Get Sky or Virgin on a cheap package and delete STV altogether. Or instead you could spend your time whinging on an internet forum about it :rolleyes:

Do you know what I do when something I don't enjoy watching comes on? I pick up the remote, point it at the TV and change the channel. Perhaps a bit challenging for some :D
This discussion has been closed.