Options

People driving with snow on their car roofs

rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
Forum Member
Why??! Are they too lazy to do it? Yes, its cold but being 10 minutes or so late for work is preferable to crashing the car because your vision could be impared. Pathetic.

Comments

• Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember someone a few years ago in my local paper being fined for leaving snow on top of his car roof, as it was blowing into the cars behind - as well as sliding down his windscreen.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of cars I saw with all their lights still covered was shocking too, one of them was a royal mail van.
  • Options
    AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calm down, geez. :o

It's very embarrasing to be a member of this forum, really. :sleep:
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    If we slam on, the car slides so the snow will stay put.:p
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Why??! Are they too lazy to do it? Yes, its cold but being 10 minutes or so late for work is preferable to crashing the car because your vision could be impared. Pathetic.

all rather melodramatic.
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i removed all the snow off my car today ... roof, windows, lights everything & i didnt even go anywhere :D
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ey? I am thick I know, but it stands to reason to me the snow will slide off the back of the car, not down over the windscreen? :confused:
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you use your sunroof to navigate then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i removed all the snow off my car today ... roof, windows, lights everything & i didnt even go anywhere :D

We all love a saint :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ffs. I can't reach across my car to clear snow off the roof. Should I go and get a stepladder and a soft broom, carry them 100 yards or so along icy, snowy pavements to where my car is parked, clear the top of my car and carry them all the way back again, just for the sake of a few people who haven't twigged that if snow blows on their windscreen from the car in front, a simple swish of the windscreen wipers will clear it in less than a second?

When it slips down my windscreen, it clears just as easily.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »

No, I wipe the snow from the roof of my car and use the windscreen. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Drivers who do this can avoid any such problems by leaving their sunroofs open when snow is forecast.
  • Options
    The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL!! Hahah I have some right strange visions of folk driving now :D
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    That's what I thought, hardly gonna screech to a halt with all that ice on the road.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could the weight of the snow not mean you end up using more fuel too? :eek:
  • Options
    chebbychebby Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    When you hit the brakes you go forward and so does the snow on the roof,slides forward all over the windscreen and bonnet, not off the back.
    If you think about it.
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all love a saint :D

hehehehehe :D

i was bored lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBitch wrote: »
    Ffs. I can't reach across my car to clear snow off the roof. Should I go and get a stepladder and a soft broom, carry them 100 yards or so along icy, snowy pavements to where my car is parked, clear the top of my car and carry them all the way back again, just for the sake of a few people who haven't twigged that if snow blows on their windscreen from the car in front, a simple swish of the windscreen wipers will clear it in less than a second?

When it slips down my windscreen, it clears just as easily.

Good point actually. I have a RAV4 & even standing on the thingy bit with the door open I cant reach across to clean the roof when I wash it. That's when those car cleaners at work come in handy lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the weight of the snow not mean you end up using more fuel too? :eek:

Geez I have heard of tight, but that really is the ducks arse! :D
    And whoever said about breaking, I personally dont slam the breaks on in the snow. Kind seems a bad idea to me! lol
    The snow on the roof is gone quite quickly after setting off as long as you're doing more than 2 mile an hour..
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall, a couple of years ago, that the cops around here were actually pulling cars over and forcing the drivers to scrape the snow off their roofs.

The worry is that when you're doing 60mph a big lump of snow/ice could blow off your roof and hit the car behind and cause an accident.
  • Options
    chebbychebby Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    No-one said anything about slamming on the brakes , it was why snow came down the front and not the back of the car/truck/van.
    Ey? I am thick I know, but it stands to reason to me the snow will slide off the back of the car, not down over the windscreen? :confused:
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geez I have heard of tight, but that really is the ducks arse! :D
    And whoever said about breaking, I personally dont slam the breaks on in the snow. Kind seems a bad idea to me! lol
    The snow on the roof is gone quite quickly after setting off as long as you're doing more than 2 mile an hour..

I tried to clean snow of the shed today but gave up as it as that bad. I reckon a good weight of snow on a car is like carrying a roofbox.

I'd clean it off or that fuel tank will be going quicker. Won't help driving in low gears either in this weather. Then how much fuel does it use up 20 mins ticking the engine over stuck in snow? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Most people make a dash to the car, sit inside for 5 minutes until the ice on the windscreen melts then set off :p
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i remember some years back on my way home on my motorcycle in snow storm on the A13 from city of london when i got to the first ski jump (there use to be three of them on the A13) a car was on its roof ,it appeared he must have hit the side of the ski jump during the storm and flipped over. being on a bike i was a little worried to say the least.
    I basically did not have any brakes as i slid down it.
    But managed to get home before any more incidents !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to clean snow of the shed today but gave up as it as that bad. I reckon a good weight of snow on a car is like carrying a roofbox.

I'd clean it off or that fuel tank will be going quicker. Won't help driving in low gears either in this weather. Then how much fuel does it use up 20 mins ticking the engine over stuck in snow? :D

Hmmmm to be honest, if I can get the kids to school then me to work when it's snowing, I am a happy bunny, a bit extra petrol is a drop in the ocean, I pay arms n legs to run a 4 wheel drive as it is anyway. I dont penny pinch to that extent. I cant afford to! LOL
    But someone has a point about the car behind getting it on their windscreen, fair point.