Options

7 Illegal Drugs That Are Surprisingly Good Medicine

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous comparison to use.

It's a ridiculous premise so it works perfectly.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Unless you can find a sufficient supply of ethically source drugs any legalised supply of drugs in the UK would be endorsing organised crime, murder, corruption and child labour in countries that produce the drugs.

Yeah but that goes on anyway, you're deluded if you think a law in one country would stop any of organised crime in other countries, it's going to happen no matter what.

Might as well put a legal line somewhere and make the drugs legal and tax them here, at least the people get what they want and the government get a nice cut to instead of the current situation.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My answer was implicit in my previous response.
    If the majority of people wanted drugs to be legalised we'd currently have a government sympathetic to that cause.

Is that really how you think politics works? Sometimes the naivety of people astounds me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Yeah but that goes on anyway, you're deluded if you think a law in one country would stop any of organised crime in other countries, it's going to happen no matter what.

Might as well put a legal line somewhere and make the drugs legal and tax them here, at least the people get what they want and the government get a nice cut to instead of the current situation.

Perhaps we should simply tax muslims to allow them to apply sharia law in the UK as well?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A more open and honest aproach to the whole issue of drugs, both medical and illicit is needed. As a society we are woefuly misinformed by government authorities about the relative harms that drugs do and the entire issue is deliberately clouded with sentimental, emotive arguments that do not rely at all on any independabt research.

Drugs, especialy illlicit ones are highly political from their growth and harvesting right through to their illicit use and abuse. Governments in the production countries and our own government all have agendas that have very little to do with the relative effects of drugs on people and their right (or not) to use them. I think the entire subject needs looking at afresh and a system devised whereby people are able to enjoy the medical and recreational benifits of whichever drugs are apropriate to them in an atmosphere of enlightment and educated awareness.

Of course there is fat effing chance of anything as sensible as this comming into practice in my lifetime but I think it's worth posing the idea from time to time. Certainly the way governments have treated drugs and drug use for the last 50 odd years is doing nothing to aleviate the impoverishing and detremental effects of drug use and abuse, yet they keep on with the same tired message and policy of disinformation. So stuff em I say.

I've had first hand experiences over a number of years with drugs, i've done them myself and have seen the negatives in many others from mild mood swings to some serious messed up shit. I was glad to get out of it all.
    It makes me laugh how there are some on here who show such support for them yet regularly they'll have f*cked up outbursts on here and showing signs of mental instabilty.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    My answer was implicit in my previous response.
    If the majority of people wanted drugs to be legalised we'd currently have a government sympathetic to that cause.

I agree the Majority would be against as we stand today but if polled 30 yrs from now then "For legalisation " would be the majority as there is a generation of 50 + around that still hold more older fashionable views. I'm 42 now, when my generation are the elders I think the poll would change .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've had first hand experiences over a number of years with drugs, i've done them myself and have seen the negatives in many others from mild mood swings to some serious messed up shit. I was glad to get out of it all.
    It makes me laugh how there are some on here who show such support for them yet regularly they'll have f*cked up outbursts on here and showing signs of mental instabilty.[/QUOTE]
    That is not a very nice thing to say to fellow posters
    Dont give us half a story if you have any guts, name them!!.
  • Options
    c4hc4h Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm calling shenanigans on this one. It can't be true. Everyone knows "illegal" = completely bad.

Teh government just want to keep us safe.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4h wrote: »
    I'm calling shenanigans on this one. It can't be true. Everyone knows "illegal" = completely bad.

Teh government just want to keep us safe.

it's almost that time mate ;)
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes me laugh how there are some on here who show such support for them yet regularly they'll have f*cked up outbursts on here and showing signs of mental instabilty.

I too have experienced drugs and have seen good and bad effects. I think that a move towards educating people properly and creating a system whereby people can acsess drugs if they want to would go a long way to negating many of the negative effects of drugs. Certainly more than is being achieved by current policies or that will be achieved by reenforcing the methods the government already use.

Everybody who posts on here for long enough will have the odd outburst. I don't think it is yours or anybodies place to say that they are a result of mental instability due to drug use. That just makes too many assumptions that are too wild to be of any use. How do you account for the outbursts by people on here who never take drugs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree the Majority would be against as we stand today but if polled 30 yrs from now then "For legalisation " would be the majority as there is a generation of 50 + around that still hold more older fashionable views. I'm 42 now, when my generation are the elders I think the poll would change .

FWIW, I'm not fundamentally "anti" drugs.

If there was a way to supply drugs legally without supporting organised crime then I'd be happy for it to happen.

Trouble is that most people link drugs to other bad things; theft, vandalism, muggings, violence and prostitution so they're not likely to support the sort of spending that'd be required to organise such a project.

Not sure if the views on drugs will change that radically in the future. Unless there's a huge number of pro-drugs teenagers currently around then the status quo will remain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I too have experienced drugs and have seen good and bad effects. I think that a move towards educating people properly and creating a system whereby people can acsess drugs if they want to would go a long way to negating many of the negative effects of drugs. Certainly more than is being achieved by current policies or that will be achieved by reenforcing the methods the government already use.

Everybody who posts on here for long enough will have the odd outburst. I don't think it is yours or anybodies place to say that they are a result of mental instability due to drug use. That just makes too many assumptions that are too wild to be of any use. How do you account for the outbursts by people on here who never take drugs?

Excellent post, well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is not a very nice thing to say to fellow posters
    Dont give us half a story if you have any guts, name them!!.

Probably talking about Mathertron.

He tends to post something dumb once every couple of months, while "intoxicated", and get banned for a week or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Yep....Dunno about using ket for depression but it's a great anesthesia and used regularly in pediatrics due to it's relative safety.

Mind you self-medication blah blah blah

Also though, cannabis. Wonderful drug THC proven to reduce cancer cells, and spastiscity in MS patients.

Shouldnt use them thogh, theuy are dangerous to your health....You might get a gang of uniformed thugs break into your hous ransack your stuff steal your medicine kidnap and extort you and callYOU a criminal.
    #
    I F*cking love this society :rolleyes:

This. Society is ****ed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FWIW, I'm not fundamentally "anti" drugs.

If there was a way to supply drugs legally without supporting organised crime then I'd be happy for it to happen.

Trouble is that most people link drugs to other bad things; theft, vandalism, muggings, violence and prostitution so they're not likely to support the sort of spending that'd be required to organise such a project.

Not sure if the views on drugs will change that radically in the future. Unless there's a huge number of pro-drugs teenagers currently around then the status quo will remain.

Although to some it may look like fans of "The Quo" are typical druggie types I would argue that they are mainly a fairly straight laced bunch who despite their long hair probably restrict their drug use to cider with a dash of Ribena. There will no doubt be the odd spliff smoker but by and large any exotic aroma you may encounter when passing a "Quo" fan will more than likely be the whiff of far too much patchouli oil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes:

You're terrible Murial...:)
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there political parties that endorse the legalisation of drugs?

How'd they do at the last general election?

The Lib Dems said they would legalise cannabis.
  • Options
    c4hc4h Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably talking about Mathertron.

He tends to post something dumb once every couple of months, while "intoxicated", and get banned for a week or so.

You say he posts dumb stuff?
    To paraphrase his own "safe extasy pill" argument, if it could be proven that sex with kids wasn't intrinsically harmful would we all want the law to be changed so that people could have sex with kids?

Thought not.

Sometimes the "right" thing to do is simply what the majority wants.

Pot and Kettle spring to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    danleto wrote: »

What percentage of the vote did they win?

Also, now that they're part of a coalition government, I wonder if they'll bother to push the issue further?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But as stated Mathertron has an excuse. What is s.i's explaination?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danleto wrote: »

They said a lot of things though. I'd say it was a fairly good indication that it isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I guess the litmus test would be whether I get a ban for my post, eh?

FWIW, I was simply making the point that peoples opinions on emotive issues won't easily be changed just because there's logical evidence to the contrary.

Personally, I doubt it'd make any difference if the speed limit on motorways was raised to 85mph.
    I have to accept that I live in a democracy where the majority of people don't really care to see the speed limit raised so I have to accept that.

Sure, we could legalise drugs IF we found a way to source them ethically and supply them in a way that made a black-market untenable but, then again, we could increase the speed limit to 120mph if we put in place sufficient safeguards to make it safe too.

Sometimes the result isn't worth the effort though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the litmus test would be whether I get a ban for my post, eh?

Not really, that would be a litmus test of if you were chatting with serial alerters or not. I liek freedom of speech, even if it's less than flattering for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really, that would be a litmus test of if you were chatting with serial alerters or not. I liek freedom of speech, even if it's less than flattering for me.
    I'm pretty sure the DS mod's don't just ban people on the basis of a report. They will, y'know, read the posts that've been reported and decide whether to take action or not.

Why not give it a try?
    Report one of my posts and see if I get banned.