Options

Does Corrie owe part of its enduring success to EastEnders?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, so I'm not trying to start a war on which soap is best and I'm not having a go at either soap as I like both of them, but this is a genuine question.

Watching the 50 best moments of Corrie last night, it struck me that although Corrie did have its moments in tragedies etc during the 60s and 70s, for the most part it did just trundle along with not a lot happening. I know that when it first started in 1960 it was groundbreaking, but by the time EE started in 1985, Corrie was well established and had been the number 1 soap for years and people probably watched it out of habit more than anything else.

At the time EE started, Corrie's only competition in the soaps (as far as I can recall) was Emmerdale (which was still called Emmerdale Farm then and was probably as mundane as Corrie was), Brookside which was a completely different soap anyway and had a completely different audience and Crossroads (which doesn't really count imo). This was also in the days before the Australian soaps like Neighbours and Home and Away came along as well.

My point is that when EE started and became a success, it obviously threatened Corrie (I still remember it being headline news when EE became no 1 in the ratings, knocking Corrie off the top spot for the first time in years) and they had to buck their ideas up a bit and bring in more exciting storylines.

Up until then, people stayed married and didn't have affairs, you didn't have love triangles, tragic deaths, babies weren't born where you didn't know who the father was etc. Yet by the time EE had been on our screens for a year, there had been a fire at the Rovers and Gail had had an affair resulting in a pregnancy where she didn't know whether the father was Brian or Ian Latimer.

I'm not saying that these storylines might not have occurred, but I do think that if EE hadn't come along, Corrie might have just carried along as it was and whilst I don't think for one moment that Corrie wouldn't be here today if EE hadn't started, I do think it would have been a different show.

I know somebody is probably going to shoot me down now and say that plenty of exciting things happened in Corrie before EE started, but this is just a general observation and you could say that the same applied to Emmerdale which has obviously changed its image a lot over the years as well.

Thanks for reading this - I didn't mean to go on for so long, but I am genuinely interested to know if people can see what I mean or whether they think I am talking complete nonsense! :D

Comments

• Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    hmm no, not really

there were stunts and dramatic scenes, it's just that in 60's, 70's and early 80's boundaries were different

also you seemed to have forgotten that Crossroads existed or that Brookside was revolutionary soap of the 80's (2 and a bit years before EE started)

Ken/Deirdre/Mike is still one of the biggest soap opera plots, so people were having affairs before EE started

Forrest Gump: And that's all I have to say about that
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oooh, this is going to end in tears! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, but..

How can you ignore Emmerdale, Crossroads and Brookside just to suit your agenda?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh gawd, I knew I would regret starting this! :eek::D

Like I said at the beginning of my post, I'm not having a go at any soap and I'm not saying any soap is better than another one, but the point I was trying to make is that until EE came along, Corrie (as well as Emmerdale and Crossroads) were all well established soaps that trundled along in their own little world.

Despite what others have said on here, I did mention Emmerdale, Crossroads and Brookside (although it would be easy to miss mention of them as my original post did go on a bit, sorry :) ), but I do think that EE was the one that came along and upset everything and made the other soaps realise they had to buck their ideas up and start doing more exciting storylines. I know Brookside started a couple of years before EE and was groundbreaking in its own way, but don't forget that a lot of people couldn't get Channel 4 when it first started and so were unable to watch it and tbh, it was more of a "young persons" soap. I was a teenager at the time and whilst we all watched it, hardly any of our parents did, preferring to stick to Corrie and Emmerdale.

Can't believe I forgot about the Mike/Ken/Deirdre love triangle which was one of the best storylines ever in a soap :o See, I said you would shoot me down in flames and tell me plenty of exciting things happened in the soaps! :D
  • Options
    dancingdemelzadancingdemelza Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would Corrie owe anything to Eastenders - they are totally different. Corrie has its dramatic storylines and the endless affairs, prison sentences, characters having head transplants, etc just like EE. Difference is that Corrie has humour - in fact real laugh-out-loud bits. EE is nothing but shouting, doom and gloom and you'd die of shock if anyone even smiled.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Corrie owe anything to Eastenders - they are totally different. Corrie has its dramatic storylines and the endless affairs, prison sentences, characters having head transplants, etc just like EE. Difference is that Corrie has humour - in fact real laugh-out-loud bits. EE is nothing but shouting, doom and gloom and you'd die of shock if anyone even smiled.

You can't have watched EE in some time. There has been a lot of humour in EE in recent months. More than I can ever remember.
  • Options
    edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can i ask we all know EE got over 30m viewers in 1986 for the Christmas day epiosde (19mil and 10mil on the sunday omnibus) but what is the highest Corrie has ever achieved it does say on Wiki that EE remains the most watched soap in any episode is this the case??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edduk1981 wrote: »
    Can i ask we all know EE got over 30m viewers in 1986 for the Christmas day epiosde (19mil and 10mil on the sunday omnibus) but what is the highest Corrie has ever achieved it does say on Wiki that EE remains the most watched soap in any episode is this the case??

27 million watched Hilda Ogden leave in Xmas 1987
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If EastEnders coming along made what Corrie had been doing up till then unacceptable then that's a bad thing IMO. I don't see early Corrie as "trundling along with not a lot happening" - it just wasn't storyline driven, which might make it hard for a new viewer raised on modern soaps to relate to (and despite what the producers say, it IS storyline driven now).

I'd argue that the "affairs and shouting" of EastEnders only took hold of Corrie in the late 90s though. I watch early 90s Corrie and don't see the influence of EastEnders at all.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    I think they probably bounce off each other...When EE is doing great and Corrie is seen as mundane it proabbly bucks up their writers and vice versa. If there was no other soap and ratings fell you could just say its a sign of the times, but if ratings were falling and a rivals were increasing it would spur the writers into doing something more exciting.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coronation Street and Eastenders are completely different.
    Coronation Street is Humour based whilst Eastenders is tragedy based.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street and Eastenders are completely different.
    Coronation Street is Humour based whilst Eastenders is tragedy based.
    Yet it's currently reversed.
  • Options
    Gingerbread'Gingerbread' Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I certainly think EastEnders made the Corrie team buck up their ideas. They probably didn't see EastEnders becoming what it did so in turn it did force Corrie to move forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    Yet it's currently reversed.

There's Comedy in Eastenders???????????????

;)

I have to admit that I have tried really hard over the years to watch Eastenders and have failed everytime.
    I find it to be a bit nasty and aggressive....not what I want to chill out to in an evening.
  • Options
    nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also the growing numbers of affairs in today's society, so it is natural soap reflect that. I've lost count of arguments I've had with friends (particularly male) when I argue about affairs/ cheating as I'm against it and have never cheated. So many men seem to think it is okay to kiss and even have s*x with other women as long as the women don't find out about it.
  • Options
    hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think to a certain extent when something new comes along the existing does have to alter slightly in order to compete.

Not saying that's a bad thing
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched both Corrie and Easties right from the very first episodes and have contined to watch both down the years.
    Now I really did enjoy Corrie what has happened this week. I have no criticisms.
    But both Corrie and Easties were both hard hitting dramas right at the beginning. I was only a little girl about seven when Corrie started but believe you me it bears little resembleance to the way it has been since about the eighties.
    Easties I loved back in the mid eighties and up to the mid nineties. But both soaps imo have gone off over the years.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    edduk1981 wrote: »

I think that's always been debatable. It's pick a number. I remember over the years it has been put down as 26m then 28m then 30m. It just went up everytime it was mentioned.

And it's all based on a guess anyway. Clearly the majority of those few viewers monitored watched it, so they gave it a high rating. No one I ever knew watched it.
    The true number would be fascinating to know.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders gave Corrie a kick up the arse, one that it needed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets not forget which one came first. Coronation Street had been doing very well for TWENTY FIVE years before Eastenders was dreamed up. TV became more hard hitting in the '80s just in time for EE so its looked like the show that made Corrie do more hard hitting storylines - affairs etc, but all Corrie did was move with the times themselves.

How about EE owing Corrie something? Maybe EE wouldn't be here now in all its angst and depressing glory if it wasn't for the little drama that could, which began 50 years ago tomorrow.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    You can't have watched EE in some time. There has been a lot of humour in EE in recent months. More than I can ever remember.

Phil's hilarious drug storyline does not count;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma.gl wrote: »

How about EE owing Corrie something? Maybe EE wouldn't be here now in all its angst and depressing glory if it wasn't for the little drama that could, which began 50 years ago tomorrow.

Well said!
  • Options
    Carol.WCarol.W Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Well said!

I think EE has more to thank Brookside for than Corrie. Like Channel Four the only way the BBC was allowed at the time to do a soap opera was if it covered social issues in a fashion which would educate viewers. EE hasn't really ever looked back and has in theory always stayed true to itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carol.W wrote: »
    I think EE has more to thank Brookside for than Corrie. Like Channel Four the only way the BBC was allowed at the time to do a soap opera was if it covered social issues in a fashion which would educate viewers. EE hasn't really ever looked back and has in theory always stayed true to itself.

Life must be hard in the South - that's all I can say ! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I think that's always been debatable. It's pick a number. I remember over the years it has been put down as 26m then 28m then 30m. It just went up everytime it was mentioned.

And it's all based on a guess anyway. Clearly the majority of those few viewers monitored watched it, so they gave it a high rating. No one I ever knew watched it.
    The true number would be fascinating to know.

30 million watched EE, including omnibus figures

http://www.barb.co.uk/facts/since1981?year=1986&view=top10

aggregated refers to the 2 showings