Options

Is this case off limits too? The murder of the bride in South Africa. Anni Dewani

Comments

• Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    I do also think that Max Clifford has put his neck on the line by representing a potential murderer. It doesn't exactly ooze credibility!
    The man knows his PR. I expect him to drop Dewani pretty soon with some excuse about not representing the criminally accused.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    Wonder what Max Clifford will say about that?

He's said way too much already. He wasn't an eyewitness to Anni's murder so really had no business trying to defend Dewani's account of the crime.

I suspect Clifford will stop making statements to the press, in support of this client, now. :eek:
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The minute I heard about this case when it broke, I figured the husband did it. No question about it. Looks like I may have been right, judging by recent events.
    It's a shame really. I fell for Karen Matthews' pleas on the news but she turned out to be the culprit so now I'm much more cynical and sceptical.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs to go to jail for a long time just for the existence of that hideous monogrammed tracksuit in the photos in the Sun story. I dislike him purely for having had that made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    It all dosen't make sense.

The taxi driver is saying the husband wanted her murdered, not kidnapped for ransom. The husband insists there was no life insurance on her.

You should visit the South African ''Crime and Courts'' website. It contains several articles on the Dewani murder case.

In particular, there's an article entitled: 'Why was my Anni killed?'' It essentially conveys the shock, confusion and questions being asked by Anni's father. Like yourself, he's trying to identify a motive for his daughter's murder.

See link www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know details..only that my immediate reaction was :confused: the moment I heard they were in a SA township after dark....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I just wonder if anyone else felt the same as me?

When the tragic news originally broke I said to my OH, 'there's summat not right about the husband in this'.

Maybe it's just the way it was portrayed on the news. I KNOW I may still be proved wrong but it felt odd at the time for some reason.... same with Karen Mathews, we both questioned the validity of that report too.

Having said this, there's probably other cases were I've been suspicious and nowt's come of it, so maybe I'm just recalling the most high profile ones..... Although I didn't question Ian Huntley being interviewed.

I never really felt suspicious about the husbands actions, more the circumstances of the murder. On the whole, criminals murder for gain. What would be the gain of randomly hijacking a taxi, kicking out the occupants, kidnapping a woman and then killing her? It really does not happen like that does it? Why would that do that for no gain unless they were severely mentally ill?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YingYang wrote: »
    You should visit the South African ''Crime and Courts'' website. It contains several articles on the Dewani murder case.

In particular, there's an article entitled: 'Why was my Anni killed?'' It essentially conveys the shock, confusion and questions being asked by Anni's father. Like yourself, he's trying to identify a motive for his daughter's murder.

Perhaps she or he found something out that they didn't like. Also, wasn't it reported that she seemed upset on the plane going out there? So, who knows what's gone on that might yet emerge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    That's the bit that doesn't add up for me too. I can't see any motive for him to have her killed but I can see the motive for kidnapping. If it really was a kidnapping gone wrong then the driver would know that and wouldn't have any reason to turn it into a murder plot. If this CCTV exists though it is pretty damning, whatever the motive.

I seem to be missing a few details here. What CCTV is this? Also, what is this I read about an upset on the plane?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    I seem to be missing a few details here. What CCTV is this? Also, what is this I read about an upset on the plane?

A police 'source' has told The Sun there's CCTV of a pay-off and I'm not sure myself about the upset, perhaps she didn't like flying,
    I'm sure one of the armchair detectives with immutable gut feelings will soon be along to tell you.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps she or he found something out that they didn't like. Also, wasn't it reported that she seemed upset on the plane going out there? So, who knows what's gone on that might yet emerge.

The SA article speaks of another attempt by Dewani to arrange a murder in SA. It's getting difficult to distinguish truth from rumour now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A police 'source' has told The Sun there's CCTV of a pay-off and I'm not sure myself about the upset, perhaps she didn't like flying,
    I'm sure one of the armchair detectives with immutable gut feelings will soon be along to tell you.

Well if there is CCTV of this, then it could well be case closed. Unless Mr Dewani can come up with a reasonable explanation as to why he met them prior to the murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if there is CCTV of this, then it could well be case closed. Unless Mr Dewani can come up with a reasonable explanation as to why he met them prior to the murder.

Big if, isn't it?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all dosen't make sense.

The taxi driver is saying the husband wanted her murdered, not kidnapped for ransom. The husband insists there was no life insurance on her.

But she is wealthy. Do you need extra life insurance on a spouse that is already wealthy? There is also the possibilty of a non-monetary motive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member

YingYang posted the sun's story about the CCTV a few posts up. :)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3267547/Murder-suspect-Shrien-Dewani-caught-on-CCTV-paying-cash-to-plot-claim-cabbie.html

and it was previously reported than during a flight Anni was upset and was asked if she wanted to sit next to her husband but she refused so they were sat separately.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333717/Anni-Dewani-tears-honeymoon-flight-shot-dead-says-father.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big if, isn't it?

I don't think it is a big if. Either the CCTV exists or it doesn't.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    YingYang posted the sun's story about the CCTV a few posts up. :)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3267547/Murder-suspect-Shrien-Dewani-caught-on-CCTV-paying-cash-to-plot-claim-cabbie.html

and it was previously reported than during a flight Anni was upset and was asked if she wanted to sit next to her husband but she refused so they were sat separately.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333717/Anni-Dewani-tears-honeymoon-flight-shot-dead-says-father.html

You missed out the 'apparently'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is a big if. Either the CCTV exists or it doesn't.

Well nobody has officially said it does.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the guy wanted the alledged attackers get what they deserved why did he not go to the identity parade ? aahh makes you think dont it ! So the south african authorities started to look into the murder again. and they decided there was enough evidence to ask for the british husbands arrest.
    also the taxi driver arrested and charged and found guilty did a deal with the CPS in south africa . appears he was the only person they could prove that did it ,others had been arrested but as the british guy refused to go over there,they had to release them (i believe). He will be sent back to south africa offcourse that does not mean he is guilty of any offence,but the police here have checked what the evidence is and its up to them to decide whether there is enough evidence against him. Think mr clifford is wishing he was not involved now. shame ! its ok he find another victim >
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YingYang wrote: »

Thanks for link. Poor man had only met the husband about 3 times before the wedding.
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How wrong you are!!!

A stewardess made a statement that Anni was crying and moved to a different seat. When asked if she would like to move back to sit with her travelling partner she refused.

The bit about 'fear of flying' is your armchair surrmising.:D
    with absolutely no basis for it too!!;)
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she is wealthy. Do you need extra life insurance on a spouse that is already wealthy? There is also the possibilty of a non-monetary motive.

Her family is wealthy, not seen evidence that she is in her own right.

What non-monetary motive? She was killed a few days after getting married. So why did he marry her? I have also seen reports the wedding might not be legal in the UK.

This is why I find it very strange
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    How wrong you are!!!

A stewardess made a statement that Anni was crying and moved to a different seat. When asked if she would like to move back to sit with her travelling partner she refused.

Read it really carefully. It's all second and third hand information.

‘We have heard that the air hostess noticed they were sitting separately and Anni was crying.

The air hostess apparently asked Anni if she would like to sit with Shrien, but Anni said no.’
    It is not clear where this information originated from, or indeed how it was passed to Anni’s family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    How wrong you are!!!

Which was why I used the word 'perhaps' and said I was unsure of the details :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her family is wealthy, not seen evidence that she is in her own right.

What non-monetary motive? She was killed a few days after getting married. So why did he marry her? I have also seen reports the wedding might not be legal in the UK.

This is why I find it very strange

I think it was about the money and his feeling of entitlement to it. There is a rather gruesome tradition of bride-slaying in the Indian subcontinent, usually for enhancements to the dowry.