Options

Frankie Boyle - is he funny to anyone?

Comments

• Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    essexsteve wrote: »
    You know what they say about those that wish ill on others.;)

they get a channel four comedy series?
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Leeham wrote: »
    That's worse than anything he's ever said and clearly not intended to be anything but vicious. Another 'holier-than-though-er' who acts much worse than Boyle. Interesting trend.

Oh dear. And I thought Boyle fans loved sick humour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chwast wrote: »
    they get a channel four comedy series?

:confused::confused: do they i thought nobody wishing cancer on others would get that.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The issue isnt really whether its funny. Its not one of his best IMO but than we dont all find the same things funny. Hence why people should watch what they do find funny and not watch what they dont.

that's my point, his so called joke is repulsive and distasteful but what really shocks me is that some on this forum haven't picked up on that yet. heaven forbid if paedophilia is seen as normal and something to joke about.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallam wrote: »

I was pointing out the hypocrisy in making such statements while bashing someone else for doing it.
    radiofan wrote:
    that's my point, his so called joke is repulsive and distasteful but what really shocks me is that some on this forum haven't picked up on that yet. heaven forbid if paedophilia is seen as normal and something to joke about.
    Who said it was 'normal'? Will not joking about it stop paedophilia?
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    radiofan wrote: »

ANYTHING can be a joke. It just comes down to personal taste. I have heard many jokes on topics where the reality is distasteful/repulsive/illegal but the actual joke itself is funny.

It is relatively easy to divorce reality from what is effectively a line or two in a tv show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    I agree the toruble with a lot of modern day society is a lot of people become offended on behalf of somebody else,ie it does not affect them personally.

I gotta agree with that. I don't find racist jokes funny, but I think people can joke about race and be hilarious. There is this one comedian who is white and jokes about visiting his black girlfriend in her neighborhood and it is hysterical. Some people could find it racist, but it was really, really funny. I happen to find Frankie Boyle hilarious.

As far as his joke, well, it wasn't funny to me because the kid's disabled, it just kind of died on its arse.

I'm going to probably piss a lot of people off, but Harvey, and any other disabled child is no more special than any other kid. They have special needs that of course need to be catered for, and they need to be treated equally. However, they are not above anyone else. I work with a blind guy who is a bit of an asshole. Loads of people make concessions for him because of his disability, but if he is able to do his job, then outside of equipment needs, he gets treated like everyone else.

Would anyone be upset if he made a joke about any other kid? In fact, I rarely hear jokes about disabled people, but I hear some serious anti-women jokes. I don't listen to those comedians, same as when I found something on South Park utterly foul, I stopped watching it. I didn't call for the show to be pulled.
  • Options
    makinsmakins Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    hallam wrote: »

Only if it's aimed at someone else. If they or Boyle get it back at them they become sensitive ickle flowers.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makins wrote: »
    Only if it's aimed at someone else. If they or Boyle get it back at them they become sensitive ickle flowers.

Wrong again, post #131.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I gotta agree with that. I don't find racist jokes funny, but I think people can joke about race and be hilarious. There is this one comedian who is white and jokes about visiting his black girlfriend in her neighborhood and it is hysterical. Some people could find it racist, but it was really, really funny. I happen to find Frankie Boyle hilarious.

As far as his joke, well, it wasn't funny to me because the kid's disabled, it just kind of died on its arse.

I'm going to probably piss a lot of people off, but Harvey, and any other disabled child is no more special than any other kid. They have special needs that of course need to be catered for, and they need to be treated equally. However, they are not above anyone else. I work with a blind guy who is a bit of an asshole. Loads of people make concessions for him because of his disability, but if he is able to do his job, then outside of equipment needs, he gets treated like everyone else.

Would anyone be upset if he made a joke about any other kid? In fact, I rarely hear jokes about disabled people, but I hear some serious anti-women jokes. I don't listen to those comedians, same as when I found something on South Park utterly foul, I stopped watching it. I didn't call for the show to be pulled.

I tend to agree with a lot of that.

There is a point where the discrimination occurs when the joke isnt made for fear reasons.

You can tell the Irish joke...or can you?

The joke about the Black person? Dodgy

The joke about the white person? Not so much

Tell a joke involving a black person and you are racist.

Tell a joke about a white person and you are Chris Rock.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They dont. They dont care. However they may point out the irony of the perma-offended being offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But that wasn't a joke and it had no context. Making a joke about something distasteful, on a comedy programme, by a comedian that is known for offensive humor is different from someone wishing cancer on people just because they didn't like the comedian.

Some of the people that I've met that have the sickest senses of humour are:

Nurses
    Cops
    Firemen
    Crime reporters
    Undertakers

Any of them could outsick Frankie Boyle at a moment's notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ANYTHING can be a joke. It just comes down to personal taste. I have heard many jokes on topics where the reality is distasteful/repulsive/illegal but the actual joke itself is funny.

It is relatively easy to divorce reality from what is effectively a line or two in a tv show.

so your saying a 8 year old shagging his mother can be rated as a joke, who in their right mind can laugh at such a distasteful subject
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to agree with a lot of that.

There is a point where the discrimination occurs when the joke isnt made for fear reasons.

You can tell the Irish joke...or can you?

The joke about the Black person? Dodgy

The joke about the white person? Not so much

Tell a joke involving a black person and you are racist.

Tell a joke about a white person and you are Chris Rock.

It's the "court-jester" thing. I don't think it's racist for white people to joke about black people, but it has to be done with some serious skill. I laughed like a drain at a white comedian that was talking about the difference between white and black strippers.

Perhaps what could have been construed as the most racist joke Chris Rock ever told was about black people. The Black People v N***ers was seriously controversial, but funny as hell, and if you are black, true. I think he makes fun of race and racial politics more than white people themselves.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find him very funny. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so your saying a 8 year old shagging his mother can be rated as a joke, who in their right mind can laugh at such a distasteful subject

Quite a few people. I've heard firemen refer to people burned up in houses as "crispy critters."
  • Options
    hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

people who laugh at it, i think theres a bandwagon and some are jumping onto it like the ross/brand incident.

Its amazing i saw the bloke in october and he did the same gag and got laughs, the DVD the same joke is on there and because it was shown on tv its now wrong???

When the tour/dvd started where were the daily mail readers then? Lets all jump on the bandwagon and look down on people:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes i am saying anything can be a joke.

The clever peopleare able to differentiate between the telling of the joke and the actual act.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would anyone be upset if he made a joke about any other kid?

While agreeing in principle with all of your post, the key reason why this one fell so badly flat is that Harvey has already had an unreasonable amount of internet abuse from people based on his physical appearance. I have seen him described in the most inhumane terms, much of it to do with his size and perceived physical strength. For Boyle to pick up on this and translate it into a joke about him being some 'sex-crazed monster' just fuels the existing hate directed at a disabled kid whose only crime is being the child of a pair of media ****. To add to that, the implication that he is an unwanted burden (loser would gain custody) just fuels a level of hate that I and I guess a lot of other people on this thread and elsewhere find deeply upsetting on his behalf. You don't have to know someone to feel rage at their being the subject of someone's oh so casual cruelty. It's just basic human empathy.

It's really as simple as that for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i am saying anything can be a joke.

The clever peopleare able to differentiate between the telling of the joke and the actual act.

so your saying al those people who laugh at this joke are immoral and stupid
  • Options
    WAKEYLASSWAKEYLASS Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    While agreeing in principle with all of your post, the key reason why this one fell so badly flat is that Harvey has already had an unreasonable amount of internet abuse from people based on his physical appearance. I have seen him described in the most inhumane terms, much of it to do with his size and perceived physical strength. For Boyle to pick up on this and translate it into a joke about him being some 'sex-crazed monster' just fuels the existing hate directed at a disabled kid whose only crime is being the child of a pair of media ****. To add to that, the implication that he is an unwanted burden (loser would gain custody) just fuels a level of hate that I and I guess a lot of other people on this thread and elsewhere find deeply upsetting on his behalf. You don't have to know someone to feel rage at their being the subject of someone's oh so casual cruelty. It's just basic human empathy.

Me too - excellent post lexi, my sentiments too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so your saying al those people who laugh at this joke are immoral and stupid

No, im saying that the people who laugh arent actually condoning the reality of an 8 year old having sex with their mother. An act which i would suggest is physically impossible in the first place.

I watched and enjoyed the Italian Job without actually believing that its ok to rob a bank.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »

Absolutely right and very well put!

i remember the Heat 'joke' with the sticker saying 'Harvey ate me' or some such witticism. That was along the same lines and equally as distasteful imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, im saying that the people who laugh arent actually condoning the reality of an 8 year old having sex with their mother. An act which i would suggest is physically impossible in the first place.

I watched and enjoyed the Italian Job without actually believing that its ok to rob a bank.

so you'll agree with me boyle has a sick immorral mind
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so you'll agree with me boyle has a sick immorral mind

Im struggling as to how you can read something and then randomly post something completely randomly different and claim that it is what i am saying?