Options

Question Time, BBC1 10.35pm, 9th Dec

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we need more doctors, nurses and teachers. We don't need more media studies graduates.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    Doesn't convince me. He can say that because the coalition government is under fire from students and so he has the 'political' advantage. He's always struck me as a middle class career politician who's never given a toss about students. As a student, I've never been asked my views by the NUS, so I don't know why they claim to represent me.

Porter wants to be selected for a safe Labour seat, and in my opinion he treats the NUS as his own private fiefdom to higher office. I sure hope it all comes back to bite him in the arse in years to come :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevensdrs wrote: »
    If you can't do you teach. fact;)

I'd start running now :)

(I teach)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HOW DARE THEY!!

Oxbridge should accept the best applicants, based on academic (and extra-curricular) achievement. Race should play no part.

How statistically likely is it that the colleges received zero applications from black candidates with high academic and extra-curricular achievements?
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    stevensdrs wrote: »
    If you can't do you teach. fact;)

Bollocks. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Porter wants to be selected for a safe Labour seat, and in my opinion he treats the NUS as his own private fiefdom to higher office. But I hope it all comes back to bite him in the arse in years to come :cool:

He speaks as if he is used to a room full of people agreeing with him
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, we need more doctors, nurses and teachers. We don't need more media studies graduates.

Correct, the Mickey Mouse degrees all need to be abolished anyway.
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemingly discriminating against rich people is not only acceptable but also very popular.

Funny I had a debate with a giu today on this subject, how certain people can be discriminated/slagged off without guilt...

White People (they're all racists)
    Men (b*stards)
    The upper classes (idiots who want to introduce executions of the poor as a national sport).

..and so on, however say something bad about Black people, the working class or women and your a racist, misogynist toff....
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sidiq isnt on form at all :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »

He looks knackered!
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron Porter is 25, shouldn't he have graduated by now :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JamesC81 wrote: »

Is he ever?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Simple really, just shut down 1/2 the Uni's and get kids back into Tech college.

NB. How come the 'teachers' are such rough looking erks on QT tonight?

I go to uni and if by "teachers" you mean uni lecturers its because they want to keep their cushy job, they shouldn't be called teachers because teachers work in schools and for the most part, work hard for their money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Porter wants to be selected for a safe Labour seat, and in my opinion he treats the NUS as his own private fiefdom to higher office. I sure hope it all comes back to bite him in the arse in years to come :cool:

Former Presidents of the NUS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_National_Union_of_Students_%28United_Kingdom%29

Quite a lot of Labour MPs in that list.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha both parties agreed with eachother against the guy on the left
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Aaron Porter talking against his beloved Labour party, however he still making a fool of himself. Rude and arrogant and interrupts others speaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Aaron Porter is 25, shouldn't he have graduated by now :confused:

They sit it out to do the job and gain kudos with their Labour luvvies.

I think they should sit for a year after graduating then told to jog on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sidiq is a bit of a tram trash tonight. (Contemporary cultural reference!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Simple really, just shut down 1/2 the Uni's and get kids back into Tech college.

I agree to an extent. Over the past 10-20 years the post 16 educational focus has become fixed on A Levels and Uni BA & BSc. With BTEC Nationals, HNC/D following behind.

There's been a complete disregard to NVQs and other vocational qualifications such as City & Guilds, plus lots of other vocational and work based, or even work based professional paths.

Everything is politically motivated towards the base GCSE and then there's a political motivation from there, forward to the A Level and then a BA/BSc. There's no political talk or motivation to the others, there's no press coverage of the others. They are not specifically less worthy. An NVQ L4 is an HNC/D and an NVQ L5 is at least a degree etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How statistically likely is it that the colleges received zero applications from black candidates with high academic and extra-curricular achievements?

High academic and extra-curricular achievements, perhaps, but perhaps not high enough. Take into account the possibility of a bad interview and reference. It's all relative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I go to uni and if by "teachers" you mean uni lecturers its because they want to keep their cushy job, they shouldn't be called teachers because teachers work in schools and for the most part, work hard for their money.

My Father did both, money was better in schools,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    Is he ever?

Only when it comes to completing his expenses form.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    They keep talking about how we all benefit from degrees because they become doctors and nurses; how come they never talk about how we will benefit from a "history of art" degree or "popular music" degree as there is in my uni
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only when it comes to completing his expenses form.

:D:D:D:D

Good at creative accounting then,
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I work with a woman who has a degree in Celtic studies, she's always banging on that she should be paid more because she has a degree. Unfortunately it doesn't actually qualify her to do anything. A complete waste of money based on an interest rather than studying for a future.I have no problem with doctors, midwives, teachers etc receiving free education.