Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    - The Mcdonalds one with the multiple singing people. The scouse fat man that says “Mcflurry” in particular, grinds my gears

- The shaving ad that boasts their product “really hydrates your face”, you mean like water? Hardly impressive, just wet your face :D

- Andrex and it’s cgi puppies that miss cute by a mile, and instead look incredibly creepy.

- The one with the people made out of clothes, I presume for some washing solution that makes absolutely no friggin sense! Seriously, I wonder what the ad execs were smoking when they came up with that load of crap :D
  • Options
    IstvanIstvan Posts: 4,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hark the herald tribune sings,
    Advertising wondrous things,
    God rest ye merry, merchants,
    May you make the yuletide pay,
    Angels we have heard on high,
    Tell us to go out and buy!
  • Options
    angel44angel44 Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    of course you could actually stop * all that and go and do something more meaningful with your life instead. It seems you put a lot of effort into avoiding adverts, when you could just switch off.

all that

T.V occupies a rather small percentage of my downtime. Generally, I spend the bulk of my week supporting people with learning difficulties...i.e autism, aspergers and cerebal palsy.

Funnily enough, this tends to invoke a rather enhanced sense of 'meaning' in and throughout those extremely lengthy periods when I'm away from a T.V set.

Your recommendation appears to boil down to:

" Either suffer the adverts or just switch off..."

And implies that the 'effort' involved in avoidance strategies either.

A/ Just isn't worth it

or

B/ Is born out of a grossly misplaced sense of priority in terms of life-enriching activity.

The effort really IS worth it, nor does it involve a compromise. In fact, the more one invests in meaningful, 'real-world' endeavour, the more covetous and attentive one becomes to ones relaxation time....especially the quality of it.

Advert dodging strategies actually buys an individual valuable time back, as opposed to merely wasting it as you pre-suppose.

Advert dodging does not necessarily fall within the remit of the 'lazy' and socially unengaged.

Advert dodging often falls within the remit of those who have arrived at the conclusion that life is simply far too short and precious to spend so much as one minute of it being unnecessary exposed to repetitious, intelligence insulting 'crud.'

I've lost count of the amount of hours [days] I've actually reclaimed from the advertisers, but I do know that this is time I wouldn't have gotten back.

Not to mention the terabytes of personal 'mindspace' I've been able to free up and devote to whatever it is I'm watching, rather than have a programme's flow continuously interrupted!!

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am loving all the Sudafed adverts. :D
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I freaking HATE the Christmas Littlewoods ad with Colleen Rooney and those other silly bints running manically around that 'magical' house. It's the song that does it. I know it's from Nightmare Before Christmas, which is a film I love, but somehow on that ad it gets on my last nerve and goes around in my head for HOURS on end.

'What's this? In here? They've got a little tree. How queer...' Aargh! No! Do not want!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Iceland advert, it just gets repeated every two seconds. (And that jingle they use is just horrid.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner 51 wrote: »
    The Iceland advert, it just gets repeated every two seconds. (And that jingle they use is just horrid.)
    JINGLE? I didn't know that they had jingle, I only look at the prostit... oops :o I mean dancers ;)
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,700
    Forum Member
    Hate what they did to the Christmas Coca Cola advert :( The version of the song isnt good :cry:
  • Options
    TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The adverts for the Playstaion Move and the Xbox Kinect are so cheesey.

I agree about those Iceland ads. personally, never shop in that place and I never intend to.
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    - The Mcdonalds one with the multiple singing people. The scouse fat man that says “Mcflurry” in particular, grinds my gears

- The shaving ad that boasts their product “really hydrates your face”, you mean like water? Hardly impressive, just wet your face :D

- Andrex and it’s cgi puppies that miss cute by a mile, and instead look incredibly creepy.

- The one with the people made out of clothes, I presume for some washing solution that makes absolutely no friggin sense! Seriously, I wonder what the ad execs were smoking when they came up with that load of crap :D

CGI has a habit of doing that..have you seen The Polar Express? :eek:
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    argh the mobile phone one. got an old phone, want some money for it, some 'wonga ' ARRRGGHH no one says 'wonga' anymore.

and you could probably get more money selling it on ebay than with these people.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    The Iceland advert with Jason Donovan in suspenders and the can can dancers - one of whom seems to have forgotten the lines and is looking at her partner to see what they are?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    argh the mobile phone one. got an old phone, want some money for it, some 'wonga ' ARRRGGHH no one says 'wonga' anymore.

and you could probably get more money selling it on ebay than with these people.
    And whats with the floating moustashes?!? We know it's the 'wonga' prat!

Now he's a 'celebrity' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Boots - latest insufferably twee bloody advert with a load of idiots sat round a table talking a load of pretentious rubbish about stupid offers that boots seem to have all year round anyway, just to add to the annoying factor they have used that same fking song 'here come the girls' that has also been done to death.

DFS - fking great 'winter sale' and they are using the song 'just can't get enough' :mad: I'm sure just as boots above after 30 times that song will start doing my head in too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TracerTong wrote: »
    And whats with the floating moustashes?!? We know it's the 'wonga' prat!

Now he's a 'celebrity' :rolleyes:
    yeah but now one can be a "Celebrity" by being on Big Brother, Joe Bloggs, famous for being famous
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonga loan advert.
    You can borrow a hundred quid for nine days at a rate of interest I think was above 2,600%, the small print at the bottom of the page read.
    Should this sort of advert be allowed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonga loan advert.
    You can borrow a hundred quid for nine days at a rate of interest I think was above 2,600%, the small print at the bottom of the page read.
    Should this sort of advert be allowed?
    as you say, it DOES say the rate of interest, so it's upto the borrower,

the same as it was upto the seller with the "Sell your gold jewelry to us for about 10% of what it's worth as jewelry"
    they tell you how much they will pay per gram, which is less than scrap value of the gold, but doesn't allow for the true value as jewelry, only about 90% of the scrap value
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M & S all versions
    Morrisons with the kid
    Of course--- Go Compare

The Sainsbury's ad at the begining and end of every break on several channels, :eek::eek:

and there are still 17 days to go :eek::eek:
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One word....
    SWISH
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not really 'bad'. just the plusnet adverts.

yorkshire, fantastic place. love their puddings, and walks.

But for global broadband, I want a cyber HQ with tons of lights flashing, and masses of compooters. not a hovis street
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TracerTong wrote: »
    I agree about those Iceland ads. personally, never shop in that place and I never intend to.

I dont know anybody who does. How does it go? "Thats why mums shop at Iceland", no they dont, most mums I know shop at Heron. Which would explain why they dont need to advertise.
  • Options
    NatterleeNatterlee Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I think the Iceland ads have managed to surpass the Go Compare drivel for sheer awfulness and annoyance. How does having 2 or 3 ads in the same break encourage you to take more notice of the ad or indeed go to Iceland? Its not advertising anymore- its bombardment. What seems to be as bad is the fact that they all seem to be throwing themselves into it and really trying to 'get on down'- especially when the guitars kick in...

Makes one wish for the halcyon days when all you had to worry about was whether you were "going to do a poo at Paul's. "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Istvan wrote: »
    yeah but now one can be a "Celebrity" by being on Big Brother, Joe Bloggs, famous for being famous
    It's as despressing as it can get. The idiots are winning :(
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    In those Harvey's sponsor links (is that the right term for them?) during Corrie, why have they dressed that poor little girl in clothes that would have made her a laughing stock in the 60's let alone nowadays? Is it meant to be "retro"? I'm confused
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Coop Christmas ads.
    They were irritating enough last year, but to repeat the same ads with the same tune this year...
This discussion has been closed.