Options

Anon about to attack Amazon. Christmas shop fast.

Comments

• Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    The freedom issue as i see it is not allowing the American government to censor the world.
    It's only about freedom in the most narrow, twisted definition of the word. Freedom to think the way that 'we' think. Freedom to support the causes that 'we' support. But don't you dare support the other side - you can't have the freedom to do that.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    It's only about freedom in the most narrow, twisted definition of the word. Freedom to think the way that 'we' think. Freedom to support the causes that 'we' support. But don't you dare support the other side - you can't have the freedom to do that.

no no. No it absolutely not. It's about allowing everyone the ability to voice their opinion and everyone the information to make their choice.

Censoring the debate doesn't help this at all. I don't really know what your point is.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is pithy, provocative and pointless. And you know it.

The freedom issue as i see it is not allowing the American government to censor the world.

Freedom is a concept and it's not something you should be so flippant about. I for example believe in your freedom but i do not think you should have the freedom to kill me. It's not a difficult cconcept.

and what about the other poster's freedom to be able to make a comment without being talked down to by the thought police?

What about the freedom of people trying to do their online Christmas shopping without having to worry about whether their orders went through successfully? You talk as though others are censoring debate and yet that's exactly what you seem to be doing.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    no no. No it absolutely not. It's about allowing everyone the ability to voice their opinion and everyone the information to make their choice.
    Taking Amazon or Mastercard off the net doesn't help anyone voice their opinion.
    Censoring the debate doesn't help this at all. I don't really know what your point is.
    Forcing, or trying to force, someone's site off the net is censorship. It's censorship if you are the US government doing it, and it's censorship if you are a bunch of 'hackers' running LOIC doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nothing should be censored? If Wikileaks posted full designs for an atom bomb it would be OK? And it would be an outrage if they were censored for it?

The diplomatic cables published by Wikileaks have been a load of drivel but clearly there have to be national secrets and there have to be limits on halfwits broadcasting them to the world. Trying to take Amazon down was the act of dim witted 12 year olds.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    By the way, is "Anon" the same as /b/ - 4chan?
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Is Wikileaks still online?

[edit] it seems not, my bad :p
  • Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »

The "person" who reviewied it seemed to think it was "very useful"
    You really ought to make your mind up....
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Is Wikileaks still online?

I think so, all the cables are available to view.

Well said flagpole, totally agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    By the way, is "Anon" the same as /b/ - 4chan?

I believe the /b/ board on 4chan is the main place they hang out. I don't think it's a organised group though. More like an ideology.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chaos77 wrote: »
    I dnt care what amazon do or dont do a bunch of idiots trying to top parents ordering stuff for their kids at xmas by attacking them will make them few friends,

Exactly.

I'm mildly in favour of Wikileaks, but if these idiots stop me from buying what I want, from where I want, then they completely lose my support.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    You think that's bad.

They sell the Al Qaeda Training Manual

I suspect that if you order it you may find it delivered by a couple of large gentlemen who'd like to ask you a few questions.
    .............The attack is by supporters of internet freedom.
    ianx wrote: »
    Although not supporters of Amazon's freedom to choose who to do business with...
    that is pithy, provocative and pointless. And you know it.

I agree ianx was pithy, I don't see what was provocative about the comment. And it clearly had a valid point.

You appear to believe in freedom only for yourself and those whom you are in agreement with.
  • Options
    PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think that's bad.

I emailed them about this a while back.

I seem to remember a reply about not censoring sales or something like that.

Are you sure that's a real item? seen this recently about fake items being posted on amazon http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/12/09/1822251/Amazon-Fake-Products-and-Fake-Reviews
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tossers, they should get laid instead of hacking websites. Everybody would benefit from that.
  • Options
    hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CS Aye wrote: »
    So nothing should be censored? If Wikileaks posted full designs for an atom bomb it would be OK? And it would be an outrage if they were censored for it?

The diplomatic cables published by Wikileaks have been a load of drivel but clearly there have to be national secrets and there have to be limits on halfwits broadcasting them to the world. Trying to take Amazon down was the act of dim witted 12 year olds.

most people with the designs probably wouldn't be able to build one wiith a set of tools from the tool shed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I agree ianx was pithy, I don't see what was provocative about the comment. And it clearly had a valid point.

You appear to believe in freedom only for yourself and those whom you are in agreement with.

essentially what i view ianx's comment to be is 'ah you say you believe in freedom - but what about the american government's freedom to censor people' - it's a bastardisation of the concept if not the word.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had to abandon the idea because they didn't have enough people. Something tells me they will never get enough people. They've reverted back to attacking Mastercard and Visa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chiller15 wrote: »
    They had to abandon the idea because they didn't have enough people. Something tells me they will never get enough people. They've reverted back to attacking Mastercard and Visa.

one of them has been nicked.

they appear to be branching out into using regular botnets.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chiller15 wrote: »
    Exactly. Amazon's web presence is absolutely enormous, on a par with Google's. It would take the attackers' efforts onboard without even a minor blip in service.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Exactly. Amazon's web presence is absolutely enormous, on a par with Google's. It would take the attackers' efforts onboard without even a minor blip in service.
    A hell of a lot of the Internet gets routed through Amazon's S3 backbone.
  • Options
    hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Tossers, they should get laid instead of hacking websites. Everybody would benefit from that.
    how do you know they arent?

anyway, anonymous are being pretty smart, they are showing people how to do it, but essentially not telling people how to hide themselves when doing it. I think they are just sitting back and letting the "noobs" do the work and take the hit.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    bob187 wrote: »
    The "person" who reviewied it seemed to think it was "very useful"
    You really ought to make your mind up....

yes they also had the same name as the author... amazing coincidence :p
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think that's bad.

I emailed them about this a while back.

I seem to remember a reply about not censoring sales or something like that.

Nice double standards they have since Amazon removed some 'pedo training manual' recently when people kicked up a fuss!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hassan wrote: »
    most people with the designs probably wouldn't be able to build one wiith a set of tools from the tool shed.

Yeah, I'm sure the Iranians would just be using the contents of a toolshed.