Options

Four in a Bed - New Series

Comments

• Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    Ian needs to let the criticisms go and move on, he'd be happier for it.

I still can't get over the comment he made about Jill's alleged BO. I was quite shocked by that. Her score may have been unreasonable, but personal remarks like that are just totally uncalled for. I cringe when I think about her watching that back. How very hurtful.
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SinSeer wrote: »
    That sounds harsh.:eek: Would you have been prepared to have paid £10 for saute potatoes as a side dish in a five star starred restaurants? ;) I know I would think that was too dear. But I agree with your overall point.

IIRC, the breakfast menu was in the room, so I'd been looking forward to those saute potatoes since the previous evening. :cry: So it's not necessarily the cost of something, but the failure to meet expectations. (Or standards, as John/Chris has pointed out, with far fewer hangers than the given grade allows, hair in breakfast etc.)
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    I still can't get over the comment he made about Jill's alleged BO. I was quite shocked by that. Her score may have been unreasonable, but personal remarks like that are just totally uncalled for. I cringe when I think about her watching that back. How very hurtful.

I bet he's cringing as well.

We can all be as cutting and nasty when we feel we have suffered a personal affront, luckily we are not filmed doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    In reply, for someone to have a OCD like Jill and to have everything Sooo clean, she should be aware of her own cleanliness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    I bet he's cringing as well.

We can all be as cutting and nasty when we feel we have suffered a personal affront, luckily we are not filmed doing it.

I certainly hope he is cringing. His affront to her was far more personal than her score for the cleanliness of his rooms (which I have to admit was ridiculous).
    In reply, for someone to have a OCD like Jill and to have everything Sooo clean, she should be aware of her own cleanliness.

Charming. You can't possibly know whether she actually had BO or not. And BO isn't necessarily a case of poor personal hygiene, but is often a symptom of an underlying medical condition.
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    IIRC, the breakfast menu was in the room, so I'd been looking forward to those saute potatoes since the previous evening. :cry: So it's not necessarily the cost of something, but the failure to meet expectations. (Or standards, as John/Chris has pointed out, with far fewer hangers than the given grade allows, hair in breakfast etc.)

I know what you mean, I get so angry when I stay in Hotels and they don't have what they advertise, my husband always gets anxious before we go for breakfast as usually something is missing or wrong so I start moaning.
    I hate buffet breakfasts as they always wait until all the eggs have gone before they start another batch so you get a queue of people waiting in line for them while the rest of their breakfast goes cold, and lots of places advertise mushrooms but don't have them when I ask.
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    youngswede wrote: »
    the problem with this scoring system seems to be telling everyone what the rooms are worth, as so many couples just take off £5 or £10 for almost any little fault, if they didn't know it would go one way or another which might be more interesting and you may see more scores over 100%

As they often knock £5 or £10 off it puts the places that charge lower fees at a disadvantage as taking a tenner off that is more damaging to the % than that of a fee of £100

Very good post. I agree it would be a much fairer way of getting honest opinions on what people think a B&B is worth by not knowing the fee in the first place! Producers should take note!!
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I don't know why they should mark on facilities anyway. They're B&B establishments, not hotels: you can't expect any facilities other than bedroom, bathroom and breakfast. Any more than this is a bonus.

Does the marking really matter, though, other than as commentary? Judging is based purely on the cash amounts.
    I so agree on the facilities question being a B&B. Facilities to me would be a tennis court, pool etc. Not even Castle House could boast "facilities" beyond an en suite. Which made me think whilst watching that there is a ceiling to B&B.

The decor may be hand painted, silk wallpaper, and the furniture Chippendale, but what use is that? Very pleasing but not worth the difference between £90 or £135.
    The important things to me would be; a clean bed with white linen. (The bed covers Jill have, are made as not to show stains, though I'm sure there is no chance of that.) I use the term linen loosely as I don't care if it's polycotton. Not even super comfy mattress as we would all choose differently.
    Clean white towels.
    Kettle and plenty coffee/tea in room. That I suppose is facilities?
    Breakfast choice to include Veggie, or fish.

BTW, if Jill was so offended by the dirty Swan, why did she eat there? That's something I couldn't follow through with, anymore than eating a pancake after removing a hair! I would gag. Why don't these people cover their hair when cooking and wear whites?

I think the programme insults our intelligence.
    B&B's should be sorted into categories. Swan should never have been pitched against Castle House, ridiculous.
    Who visits a B&B expecting to be shown the sites anymore than someone going to a dinner party, expects a choir in the garden on CDWM?
    Cut the tours. Tell me why the owners went down this route. Is it a supplement to their earnings/pension or a main living? Do they employ staff? etc. etc.
    I think the producers, all 20+ year old's no doubt, are lazy human beings.
    To them I say, you could have made great TV but you succombed to making PAP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also to make clear at the swan the builder had used the wrong colour sealant around the taps.
    jill spent a long time cleaning it to no avail. the nail brush was on the table in the final scene which was new when she arrived, and thread bare next morning. her -3 was unreasonable & unjustified
    which spoilt the whole experience for ian and cathy. who really needed a good break from their busy pretty pub (well worth a visit)

I was telling my mum that it looked like sealant around the taps. It's a shame the experience was ruined for Ian and Cathy. However, this was exactly the sort of thing the production crew would have wanted. Did they egg anyone on to exaggerate their displeasure?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Had to laugh at John moaning about Jill's marking, complaining she had voted to mean that they hadn't won, and they did. I hate it when people mope about things 'in advance'.
  • Options
    SparklesSparkles Posts: 4,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the problem with this scoring system seems to be telling everyone what the rooms are worth, as so many couples just take off £5 or £10 for almost any little fault, if they didn't know it would go one way or another which might be more interesting and you may see more scores over 100%

As they often knock £5 or £10 off it puts the places that charge lower fees at a disadvantage as taking a tenner off that is more damaging to the % than that of a fee of £100

You are so right..this type of thing really 'bugs' me. :D

Just to highlight an example.....if all the rooms at the Swan were charged at £45 & everyone underpaid by £5, then they would receive 89% of their rate, whilst rooms at £155 underpaid by £5 would receive 97% of their rate.

Perhaps it would be fairer to give an overall score, out of 20 say, for value for money compared to the room rate. Not perfect, but would go someway to level the playing field. (Tactital voting will always come into play though..can't change human nature. :))
  • Options
    youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »

I agree, his wife also looked very embarrassed as he said it. He definitely should have been over it before they went to Gill's. Her marking of -3 was unacceptable, the 1-10 scale is there for that reason. Despite that, and her slight tactics to stop B&B by the beach winning i quite like Gill, i think her good points out do her bad points and no-ones perfect, she is a well meaning lady who puts 100% in for her guests, and my thoughts on the swan hotel is that they don't, and i hope she wasn't too upset about the BO comment, its a shame that wasn't edited out.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    im loving this program enjoyed this weeks.

i think the Castle house should of won it was lovely.

Also i thought that woman with the other woman was so funny, they way she wanted the castle people to win by paying more and ticking 10 for every box :D
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,303
    Forum Member
    I agree, his wife also looked very embarrassed as he said it. He definitely should have been over it before they went to Gill's. Her marking of -3 was unacceptable, the 1-10 scale is there for that reason. Despite that, and her slight tactics to stop B&B by the beach winning i quite like Gill, i think her good points out do her bad points and no-ones perfect, she is a well meaning lady who puts 100% in for her guests, and my thoughts on the swan hotel is that they don't, and i hope she wasn't too upset about the BO comment, its a shame that wasn't edited out.

Can't say I agree with that - she didn't put 100% in the breakfast, it looked really dried up and skanky - and a massive part of a decent B & B, to me, is a really good breakfast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Loved the Castle House but $155 special occasion only,B&B by the beach looked fabulous I think I would love it,but be honest,a B&B at a Pub!! heaven for me,it was clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy, it was Clean.I wouldn't want to stay at the clean freaks house the fumes from all that stuff would suffocate me and I want to relax when I go away,my vote is for the PUB
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been down to the price and location for me.
    £155 quid on a room for Bed and Breakfast only no matter how luxurious it is does not appeal to me.
    I thought the Bournemouth B&B was reasonably priced and the Whitby B&B also. Their towns offered sightseeing and the seaside.
    However both those towns have a lot of other B&B's and hotels for people to choose from.
    The fairly priced Swan B&B/pub clearly served a different market altogether.
    I didn't even think it looked dirty. Jill was out of order with that -3 score.
    Being able to drink and eat in the pub then wander up to bed for the night was quite appealing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sparkles wrote: »

Just to highlight an example.....if all the rooms at the Swan were charged at £45 & everyone underpaid by £5, then they would receive 89% of their rate, whilst rooms at £155 underpaid by £5 would receive 97% of their rate.

Perhaps it would be fairer to give an overall score, out of 20 say, for value for money compared to the room rate. Not perfect, but would go someway to level the playing field. (Tactital voting will always come into play though..can't change human nature. :))

That's an excellent point. I hadn't even thought of that (maths is not my strong point!:o).
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I have watched every episode of this series and really enjoyed it. However I assume that the purpose of these people going on the show is to promote their businesses, I can say without any doubt whatsoever that I wouldn't dream of staying at any of the establishments. Not because of the properties, but because of the owners.

If they are as petty, sly and nitpicking with eachother it makes me wonder what they would be like with their customers.

The worst person bar none was the female owner of the Donkey place last week, I don't remember her name now but she was absolutely horrible, and she was meant to be a welcoming host!. I felt so sorry for her husband he was like a glove puppet, having said that most of the male partners have been doormats. Overall they have picked a pretty grim group of people, makes good TV though!

The english gay guy last week was nasty too, I felt sorry for his fella if it was me I would be back off to Germany!
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SinSeer wrote: »
    At least Chris and John had a B&B I would be happy to stay at if I were in the vicinity and had the money. Donkey woman, a few weeks back, not only played tactically and was rude to boot but her own place left a lot to be desired. I was pleased to see that in previous weeks those who had both a superior property (IMO) and did not stoop to tactics usually won. In Donkey woman's week, I would happily stayed at the Edinburgh couple's B&B as it seemed to offer excellent value for money, whereas you would have to pay me a great deal of money to stay at the Donkey sanctuary if the owner was in residence.

I would not stay with them after I saw them yesterday. She is a horriod patronising and decietful woman who appears to have married her own Grandma.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    I have watched every episode of this series and really enjoyed it. However I assume that the purpose of these people going on the show is to promote their businesses, I can say without any doubt whatsoever that I wouldn't dream of staying at any of the establishments. Not because of the properties, but because of the owners.

If they are as petty, sly and nitpicking with eachother it makes me wonder what they would be like with their customers.

The worst person bar none was the female owner of the Donkey place last week, I don't remember her name now but she was absolutely horrible, and she was meant to be a welcoming host!. I felt so sorry for her husband he was like a glove puppet, having said that most of the male partners have been doormats. Overall they have picked a pretty grim group of people, makes good TV though!

The english gay guy last week was nasty too, I felt sorry for his fella if it was me I would be back off to Germany!

Crappy Donkey Hole
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sparkles wrote: »

I thought the idea was 'value for money'.... and the participants arent doing that, they are operating a fine system
    It would be better if they were not told the going rate and just asked to pay what they thought it was worth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Damanda wrote: »
    Crappy Donkey Hole

:cry: i think i have made a huge mistake going on this programme because i have dedicated my life to the hospitality industry and have never upset a customer in my career. now i have come over as somebody that would traded their integrity for a picture on the wall

well done channel 4 for the brilliant editing of last nights episode you certainly got the reaction (95 hate mails)for me and 2.30 million views for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damanda wrote: »
    I thought the idea was 'value for money'.... and the participants arent doing that, they are operating a fine system
    It would be better if they were not told the going rate and just asked to pay what they thought it was worth.

I do agree with you & did think of that, but that would become a minefield in itself. Castle House is obviously 'worth' more than the Swan and if all the owners pricing systems were correct, that would generally lead to an ultimate ranking according to price, perhaps with one or two exceptions. If I were to give the Swan £50 they would be delighted, but if I gave Castle House £50 they would be insulted. Even if I gave the Swan £50 & doubled the amount for Castle House if I thought it was worth more, the Swan would have been overpaid & Castle House would have been underpaid.
    The pro rata aspect has to be considered somehow. I think they do need to know how much an establishment charges, & then bearing this in mind, rate them out of 5 say for ambience, facilities, breakfast & so on.

That of course is always assuming that everyone will play fairly...which they won't. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    :cry: i think i have made a huge mistake going on this programme because i have dedicated my life to the hospitality industry and have never upset a customer in my career. now i have come over as somebody that would traded their integrity for a picture on the wall.

BreakfastCook, it is not a reference to your place or you, there was a B&B featured a few weeks back called Happy Donkey Hill (or similar) run by a very nasty/spiteful woman who is known on this forum as Donkey woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alinLondon wrote: »
    BreakfastCook, it is not a reference to your place or you, there was a B&B featured a few weeks back called Happy Donkey Hill (or similar) run by a very nasty/spiteful woman who is known on this forum as Donkey woman.

Yes...this one. :)
This discussion has been closed.