Options

International Cricket Thread Autumn/Winter 2010-2011

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I saw a really good stat, that I think shows the Aussies are in a bit of a mess:-

Spinners used since Warne: Hauritz (16 tests) MacGill (4) Hogg (3) Krejza (2) White (4) Casson (1) Smith (2) McGain(1) Doherty (2) Beer ?

You need consistiancy, and when it comes to spinners, the Aussies just don't have it.

it shows what a mess the Aussies are in it reminds me of England in the early to mid 90s when we used to swap pace bowlers with this regularity
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a great move by Strauss to declare behind in order to give his bowlers more time to impress.

I fail to understand what happened next.

I thought that the object would be to find a replacement for Broad and/or win the game.

The 3 contenders for Broad's place only got to bowl 27 overs out of 60 and if you want to win the game what was the 7 overs for 88 runs from Strauss and Morgan all about?
  • Options
    TokyoTokyo Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

The 3 contenders for Broad's place only got to bowl 27 overs out of 60 and if you want to win the game what was the 7 overs for 88 runs from Strauss and Morgan all about?

According to Aggers rumour Bresnan has already got the Perth spot.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are looking to at least ensure the draw then. With a bonus win if Swann gets going.
    Bresnan if picked would enhance our batting which is not yet ultra reliable..
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tokyo wrote: »

I disagree. Flower has already said that Finn won't take the new ball in Perth. Bresnan hasn't taken the new ball here so it will be Tremlett IMHO.

I just hope we get a run chase tomorrow as a few of ours are in need of batting practice mainly Prior and Morgan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    It was a great move by Strauss to declare behind in order to give his bowlers more time to impress.

I'm not so sure, that decision would look rather foolish if they somehow lose tomorrow.

Unlikely, but possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member

I sont think it will be Bresnan and also hope its not dont minf which of the other 2 it is though
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    We are looking to at least ensure the draw then. With a bonus win if Swann gets going.
    Bresnan if picked would enhance our batting which is not yet ultra reliable..

We have got something like 1100-6, and you call that "not ultra reliable"???:confused::confused:

What would it take to be considered reliable by your standards, 5000 without loss??:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We have got something like 1100-6, and you call that "not ultra reliable"???:confused::confused:

What would it take to be considered reliable by your standards, 5000 without loss??:confused:

IMHO only Cook & Bell have looked ultra reliable.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO only Cook & Bell have looked ultra reliable.

Ah, did I just dream KP's highest test score then? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's good that Prior got runs in the practise match, you could say the only person lacking runs is Paul Collingwood, although thinking about it, didn't he get a big score in the Hobart warm up, it's such a long time ago I can't remember

Slightly off topic, but where are England going next autumn/winter can't find that info anywhere, technically we are due to play Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand away next
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    I read in the Guardian that Nathan Hauritz has had a sale of his cricket memorabilia - I wonder if it includes his baggy green cap because it looks like he won't be wearing that again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/dec/13/the-ashes-2010-nathan-hauritz-michael-beer

I can't but help think of Phil Tufnell, though a far superior if inconsistent spinner and an occasional match-winner, who was never really trusted. I don't think Stewart wanted him on the Ashes tour of 98-99.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I think it's good that Prior got runs in the practise match, you could say the only person lacking runs is Paul Collingwood, although thinking about it, didn't he get a big score in the Hobart warm up, it's such a long time ago I can't remember

Slightly off topic, but where are England going next autumn/winter can't find that info anywhere, technically we are due to play Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand away next

According to the ECB site for next winter

October - England in India (5 ODIs, 1 T20)

January-February - England in Pakistan (3 Tests, 5 ODIs)
    March - England in Sri Lanka (2 Tests, 3 ODIs)
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    BIG advantage of playing South africa is that we are on almost the same time zone.
    Pity theres not a lot more top teams in Africa as its all basically
    in step with us.

Why not an Argentine international cricket team... ?
    they are only 3 hours behind UK !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    According to the ECB site for next winter

October - England in India (5 ODIs, 1 T20)

January-February - England in Pakistan (3 Tests, 5 ODIs)
    March - England in Sri Lanka (2 Tests, 3 ODIs)

Obviously thrilled that we are going to India for just those ODIs, NOT! But I guess thats to replace the ones we misssed after the Mumbaoi terrorist attacks.

I doubt that England Pakistan series will be happening in Pakistan, so maybe Abu Dhabi?

And that tour to Sri Lanka hardly looks very substanial
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing a bit of training tonight for tomorrows endurance test... :sleep:

Not sure how staying up till gone 10am is going to fair with my bones but it will be worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McLovin85 wrote: »
    Doing a bit of training tonight for tomorrows endurance test... :sleep:

Not sure how staying up till gone 10am is going to fair with my bones but it will be worth it.

So we've got:

Morning Session 0230-0430

Afternoon Session 0510 - 0710

Evening Session 0730-0930 onwards

I reckon I'm going to miss the first session wake up at 5ish, then I can always have a nap after the play ends. I don't know how this is going to work considering I've not been going to sleep until 2.30 normally though
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Why not an Argentine international cricket team... ?
    they are only 3 hours behind UK !
    The ICC will not let them play in blue and white stripes
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    So we've got:

Morning Session 0230-0430

Afternoon Session 0510 - 0710

Evening Session 0730-0930 onwards

I reckon I'm going to miss the first session wake up at 5ish, then I can always have a nap after the play ends. I don't know how this is going to work considering I've not been going to sleep until 2.30 normally though

For this game, I think I will settle for the highlights
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to aim to watch till tea and see what the situation is then.... probably means I'll be asleep on the sofa at about 3am haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This article says that Botham is the one real blot on Sky’s copybook:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/8197778/Jonathan-Liew-Sir-Ian-Botham-is-Skys-one-unmitigated-disaster-in-its-otherwise-excellent-Ashes-coverage.html

The subject of irritable rashes brings us very neatly on to the subject of Sir Ian Botham. Now, nobody doubts the calibre of Botham as a player. But very little of the inspiration that made him so thrilling to watch appears to have been transferred into his commentary.
    His catchphrase, if you could call it such a thing, is: “The batsman won’t like it, but he’s got to go.” What on earth is the point of that sentence?
    Yet Botham’s prose is littered with such banalities - “When he hits it, it stays hit”, “It’s edged, but he won’t mind that”, “That wicket will be just what England wanted” - all spoken in that obnoxious, assertive tone that brooks no demurral.
    Living with Botham must be an exercise in heavily annotated forbearance. “The toast is out of the toaster, and that’s breakfast.”; “He’s put the key in the ignition, and the car’s off to a good start.”; “The lights have gone out, and that’ll be bedtime.”
    Botham is the one real blot on Sky’s copybook. You can understand why he’s there. He is, after all, a living legend, the king of the Shredded Wheat adverts. Besides, would you want to be the person who had to fire him? But although Sky’s Ashes coverage has been largely a triumph, Botham is its one unmitigated disaster.

For the Ashes I use Channel Nine's live coverage so can't judge the accuracy of this, what do you reckon?
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    No, Botham is a great commentator. I bet the article was written by a bitter Aussie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found Botham's commentary to be seriously lacking in anything but annoyance and silliness. I don't look forward to listening to him, it's a good day when he's in the 3rd man chair and I think by now i've managed to train my ears to not pick up what he says
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Beefy to be fair. Bumble, Holding, Nasser and Atherton are great, love the banter.

Steers it for four!
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ICC will not let them play in blue and white stripes

For this game, I think I will settle for the highlights

I'm going for the early rise and catch some of the afternoon session. :) I like the test at the WACA as it can be,,,.........well , exciting. :o
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    There's a bowler down under who's currently doing pretty well this season - his name's Darren Pattinson. On hang on, he played for England didn't he, but probably never again.:D:p

Bet he wished he'd stayed in Oz.
This discussion has been closed.