Options

X Factor UK vs US

allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As you know The X Factor is launching in the US next year which might impact our version which made me think - wouldn't it be a good idea if the two shows combined so that singers from the UK competed with those of the US effectively creating one huge show instead of two

would obviously need to work out time differences etc. but would mean not sacrificing the quality of our show next year if we have one - what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    bunnyintheboxbunnyinthebox Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    USA outnumbers UK by 5 to 1 so very likely they would outvote UK by 5 to 1. Otherwise it would be quite interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I think X Factor US will fall flat on its face. Why does the US need it when it has American Idol already? PLUS- it will be obvious for all to see how X Factor IS American Idol by another name, and just how much of it Mr C has ripped off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    USA outnumbers UK by 5 to 1 so very likely they would outvote UK by 5 to 1. Otherwise it would be quite interesting.

Voting is also free in the US (it would be illegal to charge for votes,) so the the US voting would outnumber the Uk by a landslide.
  • Options
    KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think X Factor US will fall flat on its face. Why does the US need it when it has American Idol already? PLUS- it will be obvious for all to see how X Factor IS American Idol by another name, and just how much of it Mr C has ripped off!

People are getting bored of American Idol and actually, no, X Factor's format is completely different to American Idol. Mentors, judges save, giving the contestants a full production with dancers and special effects, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will fail in the US because i don't think Americans will want to see the format of X Factor and seeing judges/mentors having the say on songs choices and who goes each week.
  • Options
    jcallaghan86jcallaghan86 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the two shows are completely different, x factor is more entertainment and shock value whereas idol is purely based on the artist and their talent, i think x factor will be a hit but i don't think it will last as long as idol has, once the manipulation and scandals that we've seen this year hit the US version it'll probably kill it
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didnt realise voting was free in american though that might piss Cowell off lol - in regards to viewers not taking to US X Factor because of American Idol isnt it the same as when we had Pop Idol?
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didnt realise voting was free in american though that might piss Cowell off lol - in regards to viewers not taking to US X Factor because of American Idol isnt it the same as when we had Pop Idol?
    Not really, as xfactor came after Pop idol, as opposed to the US where both shows are being broadcast by 2 different networks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot1000 wrote: »
    Not really, as xfactor came after Pop idol, as opposed to the US where both shows are being broadcast by 2 different networks

It's the same network, both are on or will be on Fox.
  • Options
    jcallaghan86jcallaghan86 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

x factor replaced pop idol here, but i don't see the problem, idol will run in jan and x factor in august, there never going to compete, and the fact that their different will work in their favor rather than having two of the same shows running for most of the year, have to say though idol looks like its going to be really good this year
  • Options
    bunnyintheboxbunnyinthebox Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x factor replaced pop idol here, but i don't see the problem, idol will run in jan and x factor in august, there never going to compete, and the fact that their different will work in their favor rather than having two of the same shows running for most of the year, have to say though idol looks like its going to be really good this year

Tell us more please.
  • Options
    titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    the two shows are completely different, x factor is more entertainment and shock value whereas idol is purely based on the artist and their talent, i think x factor will be a hit but i don't think it will last as long as idol has, once the manipulation and scandals that we've seen this year hit the US version it'll probably kill it

The american's will lap it up. Its gonna be huge over there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that American Idol looked a little cheap and tacky next to the X Factor, which goes against the usual wisdom that American's do things bigger and better. I think they'll lap up the bigger productions and drama that goes with the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk about a saturated market. I think American idol has run it's course. It's weird both X Factor and AI run on the same channel, you'd think it'd be easier to cancel one of them at least.

And now NBC with the voice of america...makes it less interesting across the board.

Glad we only have X Factor despite the drama it brings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I think they will cancel American Idol after Americans see how much better X Factor is. They probably don't want to announce it canceled and have them panic until they see the next step. Or at least I hope they cancel it. Its gotten so boring.

Idk I think the public will follow Simon
  • Options
    BReal2BReal2 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think X Factor will takeover Idol's viewers. It allows dancers,etc for the contestants which gives a better feel of how they will fit into the music industry. Also X Factor isn't as ageist as Idol and allows older people a chance to compete. My only problem with US X Factor is that it seems certain Cheryl Cole will be a judge due to Simon's obsession with her and she hasn't had US success yet so how can she judge what will be successful there? Nicole Scherzinger would make more sense,at least her group was successful here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    BReal2 wrote: »
    I think X Factor will takeover Idol's viewers. It allows dancers,etc for the contestants which gives a better feel of how they will fit into the music industry. Also X Factor isn't as ageist as Idol and allows older people a chance to compete. My only problem with US X Factor is that it seems certain Cheryl Cole will be a judge due to Simon's obsession with her and she hasn't had US success yet so how can she judge what will be successful there? Nicole Scherzinger would make more sense,at least her group was successful here.

I agree with everything you said. I don't want Cheryl judging here. UK please keep her! I like Nicole a lot. She should judge the US one.

sidenote: Has anyone seen The Voice of Holland show or know what its like? Is it better than X Factor? Does Simon have a reason to be scared?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    the voice of holland format is is similar the idol format but closer to the x factor format in regards of judges mentoring contestants,auditions involve judges sitting with their backs to the contestants,judging them solely on voice,if the judge likes what they hear they press a button,and that judge becomes the contestants mentor,if more then one judge presses a button then the contestant chooses the judge they want to work with,this goes on until teams are set,then the judges have their contestants battle each other weekly ,with the judge eliminating the loser
    then judges will take their contestants to the lives where they battle it out for a record contract until winner is determined by public,judge is also involved in winners career after
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really...SC is the biggest draw on American Idol, which is struggling anyway. The XF is a brand new show that will have SC and new judges etc...it's American Idol that's about to fall flat on it's face IMO.

People shouldn't forget how massive a star SC is in the US. He could probably make a show about farmers and their favourite cows successful.
  • Options
    lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Cowell was panned last year on IDOL for not showing any interest. on the show. People got bored of him.
    The fans were more disappointed to see Kara go.

The two new judges from the promos look good. It looks like they have struck gold with Steven Tyler.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmfdw3-PZ7A
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    x factor will not be competing with american idol. they run american idol first than x factor starts.

american idol will compete with voice of america
  • Options
    Mona LocaMona Loca Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought that American Idol looked a little cheap and tacky next to the X Factor
    I think they will cancel American Idol after Americans see how much better X Factor is.

You need to enter BGT as a comedian.
    BReal2 wrote: »
    I think X Factor will takeover Idol's viewers. It allows dancers,etc for the contestants which gives a better feel of how they will fit into the music industry. Also X Factor isn't as ageist as Idol and allows older people a chance to compete.

Idol is more about actual talent than the judges or the spectacle, and gives the contestants more free rein to make their own decisions and have their own input week to week, which sorts out the wheat from the chaff and is more likely to result in winners or other contestant with a realistic chance of making it in the industry.

Also, the upper age limit for American Idol was raised to 29 in season 4 when X Factor wasn't given the go-ahead the first time around. There are plans now to raise it to 35.
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes sense as Simon is highly involved with Pop Idol

It seems strange that they're broadcasting 2 similar shows, as surely the same acts would enter for both competitions?!
  • Options
    Mona LocaMona Loca Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That makes sense as Simon is highly involved with Pop Idol

It seems strange that they're broadcasting 2 similar shows, as surely the same acts would enter for both competitions?!

Simon is no longer involved with American Idol. He left at the end of this year's series in May.

The shows will both be on the same channel but at different times of the year.

I doubt very much that the shows will attract the same type of singers to any great extent, any more than America's Got Talent has ever attracted the same type of singers as American Idol. Over the years, American Idol has evolved into a very different animal to what it was at first and to what Pop Idol was.